Jeffery C. Jones 1963-2007

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
jjones

Jeffery C. Jones 1963-2007

Post by jjones » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:33 am

Everyone at Net-Chess:

I am Greg, Jeff's younger brother...I have bad news to relay...
At 2:34am Sunday 7-15-07, Jeff passed away...
It was painless, FINALLY, he had been struggling with the pain and the weight of leaving us, but he finally let go and allowed himself to be free.
I was told he had some dear friends here, which is why I am writing, per his request.
He loved the game/art of Chess, and played for over 27 years, did pretty well from what I know and remember, but he so loved this game...it was the only thing that I think kept him going for so long.
Our address is 338 Sisco Road Pomona Park, FL; 32181 if anyone cares to write or send a card...just put Jeffs name on it, and I will handle the rest.
He had quite a few people on this site he regularly communicated with, but he also just liked everyone he played here he said...good chats and a good game. The names he did mention like, Mike Luka, Jonathan Pettit, Maxim. these guys really touched him 'specially, BUT everyone here that he played also touched him and really helped him get through alot of pain and soul searching.
I will keep everyone "in the loop" as far as services and that, and again I wish to thank everyone at this site, the Network Admin definitely for putting it together (being a UNIX network Admin myself, I can appreciate the time and sweat you put into this site :) ). My brother loved this, and for that you have mine and my families undying love and gratitude.
Thank you again

Greg Jones

petemarkou

Condoleances

Post by petemarkou » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:38 am

Greg
I am very sad to hear of the passing of your brother and fellow chess player Jeff. My condoleances to you and your family.
Pete

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:43 pm

Likewise Pete.
Name is Brian and chatted with Jeff alot on yahoo when he was able to. We played chess also and he was fun to talk to. Will miss talking to him and my thoughts are to your family. To admin Greg,maybe can we have a memorial tounrament to Jeff?

energy

Goodbye Jeff.

Post by energy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:18 pm

I only knew him from our little messages during the games here, but I always felt like we'd be great friends if we ever got together.

Now, that will never be.

I'm proud of him that he fought on so well, in life just as in his games.

Thank you Greg for telling us, and Jeff for thinking of us.

I will remember him.

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:02 am

Greg, thank you so much for your prompt advice. I'll be writing directly,as you specified, but want to extend now to you and the rest of Jeff's family my
deepest condolences.
To the many of us here who knew him for years over the board your brother
was a very special person.

Warmest regards,
David

cnita

Condoleances

Post by cnita » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:04 am

Sincerely condoleances :cry:

garrison

Post by garrison » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:34 pm

Truly saddened. I never played against JJones, but have read the threads regarding Jeff on the forums, and have kept him in my thoughts and prayers several times. I know he will be missed, and I feel like I am definitely the one who missed out by not having played him. I think this is a good time to say I have made several good friends playing here, and feel like this site has something truly great to offer us, if you are reading, Thank You Greg sincerely for giving us this place to gather, meet, and make friends.

I do plan on sending a card, and would like to encourage others to do the same- even if you did not know or play Jeff, a friend of here is a friend to us all, and will be missed.

jpalasek

Post by jpalasek » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:05 pm

I never played Jeff but anyone who played on here and is as well respected as Jeff had to have been a great man. I am sure the loss to your family is great and my heart, my prayers and my thoughs are with you in this time of need. I am sure he is now enjoying his games in the afterlife.
john

mluka

Post by mluka » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:22 pm

Greg, I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how difficult and trying the last couple of years have been for you and your family.
At least there is some solace in knowing that he went painlessly.

Rest in peace, dear friend.

mgomdysey

Post by mgomdysey » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:20 pm

Greg
I am very sad to hear of the passing of your brother and my fellow chess player Jeff. My condolences extend to you and your family. I enjoyed both talking to and playing against jeff on this website and i considered him a good friend of mine and I will sincerely miss him.
Maksim
mgomdysey

hamot

Post by hamot » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:05 pm

Greg -

I am very saddened to hear of Jeff's passing. He was a true friend and I am proud to have known him as a friend. He was a true Warrior here, and in life, and will be sadly missed by all of us here, espeically the regulars. The spark in his personality made this a very fun site. One of the Brothers of our Family has passed, and will be missed. We all mourn together, but rejoice that his pain and suffering is no more.

My most heartfelt condolances for your loss, Greg. Thank you for letting us all know.

Tim

armonchess

Post by armonchess » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:49 pm

I am very sorry to hear this news. It is very sad to lose good people like Jeff. My deepest condolenses to you and your family, Greg. Well, I guess now Jeff is feeling sorry for us! He is in a much better place now.

He will always be remembered by this chess community.

Deeply sorry for your loss.

Armon

jrichner

Jeff Jones

Post by jrichner » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:16 am

You and your family have my condolences. I will miss him.

kmcpherson

I don't know Jeff's Middle Name

Post by kmcpherson » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Hi Greg,

I wasn't aware Jeff had a brother and I apologise for having to meet you in such trying circumstances. My post of 2 night's ago seems not to have been accepted.

I was fortunate to become a friend of Jeff's in an all too brief time here on net-chess and for me the "C" will always be for Champion as that's what I can only say in all honesty.

I hope that Jeff's memory will be served by our continued playing of this eternal and great game we all love chess.

And may my thoughts and message of condolence be conveyed to you and your family with the greatest of respect for "our" lost friend.

Regards,

Kenneth McPherson

mic

he will be missed!!!

Post by mic » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:21 pm

I played Jeff in quite a few games and never beat him...he had an amazing sense of humor and LOLed me alot with my comments to him in our games. I will miss him dearly and remember him forever! He was a master player and a good friend...good bye Jeff.

Mic
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

shammer

Post by shammer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:10 am

i'm so sorry greg for your loss. it is truly a blow to the people on this site as well. since i joined, jeff was a favorite on the forum and a warrior on the board(too tough for me and many others). i know he was as loved and respected in life as online. he will be missed...

rprado

Post by rprado » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:54 pm

Greg, my condolences. I only had a couple of games with Jeff but could see from the frequency of other posts on the site just how much he was known and respected by other players. I hope you and Jeff's family find some strength and comfort from the wealth of messages coming through.

Robert

ferdyrojo

Post by ferdyrojo » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:38 pm

rprado wrote:Greg, my condolences. I only had a couple of games with Jeff but could see from the frequency of other posts on the site just how much he was known and respected by other players. I hope you and Jeff's family find some strength and comfort from the wealth of messages coming through.

Robert
Hi, Robert Prado,

Do you know what was the current rating of Jeffery C. Jones when he passed away? Could you reproduce some of his best games (according to your evaluation)? I think this simple task will be the best homage to him.

May Jeff C. Jones rest in peace!

Yours sincerely,

Ferdy RSB
Ferdyrojo

kode

Post by kode » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:16 am

You and your family have my condolences.I will miss him.

kode

Post by kode » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:33 am

Greg,my condolences. May Jeff C.Jones rest in peace.

attasantotjia

Post by attasantotjia » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:08 pm

Rest in peace,my friend ,Jeff Jones.I will remember you.

mlaurent

Post by mlaurent » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:01 am

i m very sad, we had play 20 games since december 2000. we had the same level and I enjoy play him. he learn a lot of thing to me.
thanks to you Jeff

Condolences to all his familly and friends,
Rest in Peace

Laurent

katchum

Post by katchum » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:40 am

I knew Jeff from the time when we discussed physics on this forum. Those were great times. Thanks!

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Here are 10 books Jeff recommended in an email he sent me in April.
1.Zurich 1953 2.Tal-Botvinnik 3.Play 1.d4! 4.My 60 Memorable Games 5.Karpov-Korchnoi 1978 world Championship 6.My Great Predecessors(all) 7.Basic Chess Endings (Fine) 8. The Middle Game in Chess (Fine) 9.My System 10.Kasparov-Short,Kasparov-Anand