PDA version of net-chess.com

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.

How useful is a PDA version of net-chess.com

1. very useful
47%
No votes
No votes
7%
7%
No votes
13%
7%
No votes
10. not useful
20%

Total votes: 15

neilb

PDA version of net-chess.com

Post by neilb » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:10 am

Having just bought myself a PDA, it would be very useful to have a PDA version of the site. Anyone else agree?

angelofthenight

Post by angelofthenight » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:03 pm

Excuse my ignorance, what is PDA ?

mluka

Post by mluka » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:06 pm

PDA stands for Personal Data Assistant - a mobile device.
This poll is essentially a repeat of an earlier thread entitled "mobile.slowchess.com"

phishhead

Post by phishhead » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:45 am

I have had a PDA for over 5 years now. I always have a chess program on it. Now if their was a mobile.slowchess.com that would e great! I do not know how much work i would get done though.

stefandima

Post by stefandima » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:11 pm

I'm working on a version of a program that connects (gprs) to www.net-chess.com for taking the games in what you have a move to make, and it will be able to make moves from your mobile phone. It will work only on Nokia 6680 (that my phone model), and eventually with compatible phones. I dont have to much experience on j2me (this is my second application), but i have experience with java. So, i hope, until 1 ian. 2007 to put here a j2me application to be used.
Wish'me luck :)

P.S. sorry for my bad english.

sonrisante

Phone-size

Post by sonrisante » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:20 am

I've been coveting a phone-size version, perhaps through WAP or something. PDA is nice, but I always have my phone with me.

Or email notation... send an email/sms with moves.

bob

sonrisante

Post by sonrisante » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:13 am

Greg:

I now have a palm treo and really wish I could play net-chess from it. unfortunately the site doesn't work for various reasons, including size of layout and some other things. I've tried the "enhanced layout" feature but it doesn't seem to work well yet, and I'm not sure it would remove the issues presented by my palm-based browser.

I'm interested in building a PDA-friendly front end to your site if you're interested in that feature. I've not done it before, but I'd like the challenge.

Also, in looking at your site architecture, it looks to be very well tiered so that doing something like this might be possible without a lot of rearchitecture of the existing site.

BTW, yours is the only site of its kind that I've found, and really think it's the perfect way to play online chess. Glad you did it and keep it up.

Bob Smiley