Domain name expiry

For discussion regarding the chess ladder
mluka

Domain name expiry

Post by mluka » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 pm

All,

It's been years since I have been active on the site, and the chessclubinternational.com domain is up for renewal on 29 January 2018.

I have no plans to renew the domain name registration. It's been a great run and I hope most folks have had fun that have participated there.

Thanks, Greg, for hosting such a tremendous site here, and I look forward to coming back one day when I have more free time.

All the best,
Mike

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: Domain name expiry

Post by gmiller » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks Mike.
Greg Miller

sittingbull

Post by sittingbull » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:10 am

Hi Greg
How does this affect the ladders. Would we still have them?

MIKE, if you’re still logging in, thanks very much for all you have done with the ladders over the many years. All the very best and maybe one day we’ll see you back on the site. Post me a game challenge sometime when you’re back.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:35 am

They'll go away. I already removed them from the home page, but they'll still work until the domain expires.
Greg Miller

sittingbull

Post by sittingbull » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:04 am

I take it that means an end to the ladders?
That will be a pity. Is there any other way we can keep it going at all?

If Mike has not been involved for years now then I assume the system was working along fine all this time on its own. If it does require human time for administration, then unfortunately I cannot do it myself; but if it is a matter of paying to have the domain name extended then I am willing to contribute. Do you know how much is involved to get the domain name extended? Will that do the trick to keep the ladders?

Many thanks

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:02 pm

It'd be at least a matter of the cost of the domain name, and the server it's running on, plus at least a little human administration. I didn't think there was much activity on them, if there really is a significant amount of interest I can run them from the net-chess.com server.
Greg Miller

sittingbull

Post by sittingbull » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Please can you keep it going if you can, and if it's not too much trouble for you?

If it is possible to run it from the net-chess server that would be really great. If you are able to use the net-chess domain name then fine of course, but it you still need to use the old chessclubinternational domain name then I would be willing to pay. Just let me know.

Best wishes