unbelievable

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
rhand

unbelievable

Post by rhand » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:10 pm

I play already a few years here on his site but what happend today in game g1082027710 is a big disapointment. When i start my games i always tell gg what means good game or have a good game. Most of the people say good luck back and some people say nothing. But today nbarletta says va chier connard. And if i´m correct it means something like go xxxx bastard.

I can tell you that it was a bigg surprise to read something like that because i had no fight with him or someone else and is not our first game.

The internet is a great medium but some people need a life!!!

I wonder why he did do that.

Rhand

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:07 pm

according to the babelfish online translater is means 'will s**t jerk' so i assume the proper contextual meaning is 'eat s**t jerk' or something similar

still highly inappropriate language

muabdib

Bad French

Post by muabdib » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:43 am

"Vas chier connard" is a personal insult, offending and offensive. But it's not used that way normally in French. So perhaps he didn't even know how to use that expression correctly. Anyway he should apologize for this insulting language or leave that site. "connard" or "con" means: "a....hole". Greg will never accept players to be insulted that way by their opponents. I think he will take care of that insulting message.

leonine

unbelievable

Post by leonine » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:40 am

Sorry to hear that..... I have had several games with both nbarletta and nickbarletta (most likely the same person) without incident. ....so far anyway :)

eraymond

reponse in french

Post by eraymond » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:43 am

Je pense que rhand mérite des excuses publiques car une telle chose ne se fait pas, nbarletta qui que tu sois, "va chier connard" n'est pas une facon de dire à un joueur d'échecs "gg" le fait qu'on n'aime pas et/ou qu'on ne veut pas jouer avec un individu ne te permet pas de dire des choses aussi mesquines, aussi odieuses et aussi blessantes. T'as juste à abandonner tes parties contre un individu mais t'as pas à l'insulter !

Éric E. Raymond

muabdib

Trop gentil

Post by muabdib » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:49 am

Eh ben mon cher Nick. Le message d'Eric est très gentil, plus gentil que ce que tu avais sorti et plus gentil que tu ne le méritais. A la place de rhand j't'aurais répondu: Va te faire foutre. Et ainsi toute conversation entre nous deux se serait-elle terminée. C'est ca ce que tu veux? Sinon fais ce qu'Eric te demande. Présente tes excuses à rhand ou bien ......(voir ci-dessus.)

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:30 am

For the people interrested:
freetranslation.com

I've to say, Barletta isn't the first person to react offended after the phrase "gg". Even though it was on a chess server. That guy told me he was sort of dyslectic and thought I said something else.

Even though, an apology and explanation are due in this case.

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:33 am

perhaps if you type good luck in future less people would get confused

muabdib

gg or gl or???

Post by muabdib » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:05 pm

Come on Keith. Barletta joined this site in 2000. And during all those years he never learned what gg means? I can't believe it. On this Forum we have often been asked why barletta is playing with two usernames. And I always answered that he didn't harm anybody. And now?

Regards
Hans

rhand

Post by rhand » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:37 pm

Gg or good game is a tradition to say here in belgium before we start.

And if u don´t know what the opponent means u can just ask.

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:45 pm

Maybe we should elevate "prettige wedstrijd" as the new gg of this site.

rhand

Post by rhand » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:36 am

Some people know that english isn´t my motherlanguage so i wonder what some people think if that i mean when i type gg.

katchum

Post by katchum » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:31 am

Why are there so many Belgians on this forum?

maybe he understood : go g.....

eraymond

Post by eraymond » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:36 am

go g.................... go what ?

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:04 pm

The dyslectic from the chess server I told about read "gay" in "gg".
At least that's what he told me (including a sorry) when I asked about his reaction.

katchum

Post by katchum » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:32 pm

go g...., hmm, can't think of anything.
How about gggrrrrrr, showing you're angry at your opponent.

rhand

Post by rhand » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:02 am

Indeed and good luck means that u will need it because i think you will make stupid mistakes. If you do not want to assume that your opponent means to be good you can turn almost everything is something wrong.

If u assume that it is better to say nothing and to be honniest i hate it when they say nothing at all.

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:32 am

how about 'have fun' then ?

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:03 am

Better to keep your fingers still, and be thought a fool, than to type and remove all doubt.

When the words consist of no more than their first letter, is the sentiment expressed? No, only the obligation to speak.

gl is, of course, ludicrous unless you are playing Knightmare chess (a card game) or one of the historic precursors to modern chess that used dice. Otherwise, the game is one of skill. Luck has no role.

gg is customary after a game, not before. But on Slowchess, you must go through the extra effort of sending an email if you wish to congratulate your opponent on playing badly, or well.

How about, "Greetings from the Western US, where the trout are as long as your arm!" Sometimes I'll say something along those lines.

fingelaere

Post by fingelaere » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:08 am

Sorry this happened to you Stefan. Think mister Nick is Swiss. Maybe he was offended because we have the better chocolate. Another possibility is that he received something different from gg. I remember that happened once on this site with one of my opponents too. He received some unreadable signs instead of gg. For the guys who want to know why there are so many Belgians on this site (yes indeed, I'm one as well) : this site is free and we have to pay all our money to our government (some strange thing called taxes). :mrgreen:

juselton

Post by juselton » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:12 pm

I think it's good to remember---once on line, you're not in Kansas anymore.

skhasan

Post by skhasan » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:43 am

wulebgr wrote:How about, "Greetings from the Western US, where the trout are as long as your arm!" Sometimes I'll say something along those lines.
This may offend a strict vegeterian.
Anyway, I wish to have a taste of the trout if I ever get a chance to visit US. :D

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:44 am

It should not offend the strict vegetarian when she learns that I practice catch and release. But the animal rights activist will fail to find comfort from my debarbed hooks.

Even so, trout as long as your arm can be appreciated without the art of the angle. Still, my preference is to catch them, killing only a few for food--usually those hooked in the tongue. I always save one or two for guests from other parts of the world (usually these remain in the rivers and lakes where guests can catch them--I'll provide the flies if you wish).

Compared to the salmon that swam in our rivers before they were dammed to power my notebook, our cubit-length trout are tiny.

As for Nick, he said "good luck, you'll need it" prior to losing four games to me. He timed out in two. We had slight conversation in English, a language he clearly understands.

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:15 pm

I never actually checked to see where Nick was from

I er assumed he was canadian

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:20 pm

With 450-500 games going at the moment as nbarletta and nickbarletta, I doubt he even knows who said what when and why. At least for no longer then the sentence is kept visible.

And with that much games going on, I'm even surprised he managed to have a rating of 2100+.

rhand

Post by rhand » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:01 am

I have his appologies so this matter is closed for me.

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:21 am

Shall i lock the thread then Rhand?

rhand

Post by rhand » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:24 am

Yes, i would like that.