Repeated draw offers

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
kopciuszek

Repeated draw offers

Post by kopciuszek » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:50 am

I have noticed at this site, that some players make draw offers after almost every move, sometimes beginning at move 15, when all the pieces are still on the board.

In over-the-board tournaments, such behavior is penalized. Also, at some correspondence sites, such as the ICCF, it is only allowed to offer a draw every 10 moves.

In my opinion, the behavior of repeatedly offering a draw, is unsportsmanlike, and is intended to distract the opponent. Some "chess players" seem to think that, if a position is roughly equal, a draw must be accepted. However, even when the game has advanced into an endgame, and the game _looks_ drawn, a player who loves studying and playing out endgames, should not be disturbed by impolite draw offers.

jasperchess

Re: Repeated draw offers

Post by jasperchess » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:56 pm

Hi Greg,

Could you please g1105389446 declare draw : 4 or 5 times move repetition??

Greetings, Jasper

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:24 pm

How are repeated draw offers penalized on OTB play? tyia :twisted:

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:34 pm

It falls under the category of "annoying behavior", the penalty is up to the TD. The recommendation is a warning the first time. I've never had a player do it in any of my OTB tournaments, nor even heard of it happening. I imagine if the apparent goal was to annoy the other player, it would be loss of game. If there were further issues in later games, I'd ask the player to never come back to my tournaments. But people tend to behave themselves in person.
Greg Miller