Rating Inflation

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
irrawang

Rating Inflation

Post by irrawang » Mon May 18, 2020 2:10 pm

Are our ratings becoming inflated? Activity has declined over the last few years and with a lower membership could explain any inflation.

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: Rating Inflation

Post by gmiller » Mon May 18, 2020 3:55 pm

The best way to see if your rating is inflated is to look at the expected performance graph in your rating history. If you're loosing more than expected, then your rating is inflated, of course you'll naturally loose points until it becomes more representative of your actual performance.

It's important to point out that a rating is only good amongst the community it's given in. You can't compare your rating here to FIDE or USCF or other websites. All the rating does is predict your probability of winning in a given community.
Greg Miller

irrawang

Re: Rating Inflation

Post by irrawang » Wed May 20, 2020 9:27 pm

I started playing here in 2012 and since then the pool of active players would have declined. Also the number of games played would be less which would change the ratings somewhat. I take the point that the pecking order would remain much the same. I like to think that I’ve improved, most likely by just taking more care with my moves.