Anyone know?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
jumpnmustang

Anyone know?

Post by jumpnmustang » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:00 pm

Anyone know if there is a way to get a complete list of members with ratings? I would like to know about tracking progress and also about other basic rating ideas like player research for match play etc etc. I have kind of started my own but think it would be easier to get a compiled one say by the server or something. thanks.

hamot

Post by hamot » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:44 pm

I am not aware of a way to do this, but if you just look at the top of this page, you will notice that you can click on the "memberlist" tab. It doesn't have ratings, but it does have a list of all members.

Just remember that looking at a person's rating is only part of the equation. You also MUST look at their win/loss/draw stats and compare that with their rating. Even more specific would be to check out their games in the archive by going the the home page and typing their username in the "search" box. Some players here have overinflated ratings and win/loss/draw records. You will have to study the archive to really get a true feel for their skill level.

Lastly, I really believe that a person's longevity here at net-chess will also say something about their skill level. I will agree that this is up to interpretation, so you will just have to do some research to really find out what you are up against.

As a side note, players who have active games in 3 areas of this site might be a good place to start. Those areas are the 2003 tournament, Chess-Teams, and mluka's chess ladder.

Happy research!

Tim