THE FORUM

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
langelli

THE FORUM

Post by langelli » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Net-Chess Players,
There isn't as much activity here on the forum like there was when I first joined net-chess. It used to be fun going onto the forum when all my moves were made, but I still didn't have enough chess to satisfy me for that day. Then it got crazy here. People were complaining, fighting, and even making some not so nice comments about each other. Then, the most outspoken players left. I was hoping things would return to the way it used to be, but it didn't really happen. All the complaining stopped, but the enthusiasm didn't return. There are many very nice people playing on this site. I've made friends from all over the world. Lets all make an effort to communicate more. There are so many good things to talk about. Some are net-chess related, some are chess related, and some are simply life related. We all have one huge thing in common. We love this game, and this site. I'd like to start off by saying "THANK YOU" Greg! Thank you for all the time, and I'm sure money you put into net-chess. It is, by far, the best place to play chess on the internet. My best regards to all.
Lou

iamachessstudent

Re: THE FORUM

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:02 pm

I have also talked and talked about this...
and nothing...SO I gave up
Seems the easiest thing to do because no mater what, people on the site wont talk or chat...
Best to leave it be as I have, although I wish it wasn't this way

joshua

langelli

Post by langelli » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Yeah! Too bad because it used to be fun. Oh well.....................

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:51 am

chesscorner.net dropped its forum last October. chesscircle.net dropped/lost its playing feature (7 day time control only) and became a forum only. Subsequently it has been overrun by "weeds" aka spammers/Jersey sellers

chess.com and redhotpawn.com appear to have well used forums-you may be able to find others yourself

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:00 am

.........................................Image

Greetings Fellow Forum Members of This Thread ! ! !

Abiodun is Still Here ! ! !

Maybe not always replying ..... but always reading / listening ! ! !

I've Always believed that We Have [unfortunately]
A HUGH, SILENT / NON-POSTING ... MAJORITY MEMBERSHIP HERE !
[just look at Greg's latest Site Stats]

Wasn't it Winston Churchill, who's quoted with saying ....

Never .... Ever Give Up Hope ....

or something to that effect ...????

But there's hope for US HERE !

I agree that this forum use to be more lively, but if I had to choose ........

I'd rather see No Posts vs. Fighting/Negative Posts !

So Now ..... Let Those of Us Who Care, Make It Happen by ......

Sincerely Sharing ..................
Your Study Methods, Your Amazing Chess Site finds, Your Lost and/or Won & Self Analysed Games, Your Disillusions of Winning Lost Games, Your Chess Study Materials, Your Typical Chess Day, Your Personal Chess ELO Aspirations, Your Tournaments Played In, Your Recent Chess Purchases [of any kind], Your Personal PC Tunings for Chess, Why You Like Your Favorite Chess Master, more & more & more ..... All About You & Us !

Key words ..... LET's SHARE !!!!!!!

I wish to start by ..... Sharing this link to
My Favorite Chess Sharing Forum ...

hxxp://www.google.com/url?q=http://immortalche ... tNZcx_0vUQ

I don't want to link anyone directly from here
[isn't this protocol Greg????],
so then replace the hxx's with htt's.

Tons .... & Tons of Chess Stuff There !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See You There &

Let's MAKE IT HAPPEN HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salude !!!
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

langelli

Post by langelli » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:51 pm

I, too, prefer no post to negativity and fighting. My most recent chess purchase was a chess set made of glass. I got it in Bermuda. The board is inlaid glass. The pieces are also glass. The white pieces are a clear glass, and the black ones are a heavily tinted glass. The pieces stand about 2 inches tall, and the board is about 15 inches square. I loved it the moment I saw it. Now, I just need to find someone to sit across the board from me so I can use it. At the moment it is sitting in my living room on an end table lust looking pretty. I think that is as close to using it as I will ever get. No matter! I'm content to just look at it. :D

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Hey abiodun

Send me the real link in a private message please?!
I will try and do thing s on the forum as said, but not as much is all..

joshua

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:09 am

.........................Image

WoW Langelli, you've painted quite a vivid picture for us about your newly acquired set, but I can't help but to feel somewhat sadden that you have no 'live opponents' to use this set with. :(

But then again, I'm pretty much in a similar situation. I'm retired & live alone here in the boonies, with very few friends [which none visit], so I can identify with what you say.

Here's something I've always been curious about, regarding our forum .......
Have you ever noticed, for any forum thread/topic, the number of members who have VIEWED it vs. the number who have REPLIED .... ? ? ?
Do you suppose that maybe these viewers are too timid to type ...??? .... Too shy to share ...??? :?: :?: :?:

Oh, by the way Joshua, as requested, I've PM'd that site URL to you !

Hey Langelli, do you get to travel often ...??? I'm impressed about your trip to Bermuda, although I'm pretty much a 'home body' myself. If it wasn't for this great game we all love, I'm not sure just how I would otherwise fill my time. I can watch only so many old cowboy movies .... :roll:, but I can analyze chess games all day/night long !
:D :D

energy

Post by energy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:45 pm

abiodun wrote: Here's something I've always been curious about, regarding our forum .......
Have you ever noticed, for any forum thread/topic, the number of members who have VIEWED it vs. the number who have REPLIED .... ? ? ?
Do you suppose that maybe these viewers are too timid to type ...??? .... Too shy to share ...??? :?: :?: :?:
One of the lurkers here...

Personally, I'm not very timid at all. Just doesn't have much to contribute, nor the time to do the friendly chat thing. If these forums were full of posts, I doubt I'd read them.
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

langelli

Post by langelli » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi Abiodun!
To answer your question, I have travelled a bit. Not as much as some people I know, but enough for me. I've been to Bermuda 6-7 times. My wife and I like it a lot. I've been to Aruba, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, Puerto Rico, and more Caribbean Islands, and we always end up saying we should have gone back to Bermuda. It's clean, very friendly, and has the best beaches I've ever been on. Elbow Beach has pink sand. Unbelievable! The water temp is at least in the low eighties if not higher. The majority of its citizens work in tourism in one way or another, so they go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Some islands are the complete opposite. On some islands the residents seem to go out of their way to make you feel unwelcomed. One other thing about Bermuda is its proximity to the US. I'm from Boston, and it takes 2 hours to fly there. I don't always go to islands . I've been to Germany, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland. I've also been around the US a bit. Been to NY, Florida, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, California, the Carolinas, Virginia, West Virginia, Nevada, NH, Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, and more that I can't think of. I don't consider myself to have traveled a lot. I know people that have been everywhere. Now, this is going to sound strange, but I'm a home body too. I haven't travelled at all in the last 5-6 years, and don't have much desire to anymore. I prefer to sit at the computer and play chess. I would like to see more interaction here on the forum. There are lots of good people here on this site, and it would be nice to get to know some of them. Nice chatting with you. Throw me out a challenge......Lou

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:04 am

Greetings Lou ! [Iangelli]

It took me a lil' time to get back here, but now .....

Shall We ...... ???????

I Love This Game ! ! !

I've posted one to you, for us.

Play Slow .... Play Strong !

:?

Anyone else listening/reading this, who may wish to push some pawns .....???

I'm currently studying refutations to the Benoni .... :roll:

Let's WAKE THIS FORUM FROM IT's SLEEP ! ! !

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:04 am

"Refutations to the Benoni"??
Hmm that is gonna be hard to do, I don't play it regularly, but the opening is sound...basically.
there are a few variations, if you can get black to use the move order..that do give White an edge...the Taimainov or flick Knife Variation, and maybe a 4 pawn attack if black treats it casually..

Keep me posted,Id love to hear the results of your attempts!

Joshua

cleenders

Post by cleenders » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:24 am

The Benoni is sound, no refutations possible there.
I am interested in old openings like King's Gambit. I have played it a lot, and tend to give a verdict: If White plays King's Gambit, Black wins. Yes.
Also Evans Gambit. I always thought White had to lose because of his dumb pawn sacrifice, but there are so many clever resources to white, it seems now a cert win/draw for white. Do you like to test the real value of the Evans (C51: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.b4) ? I challenge you, join me.

Greetings, Chris

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:42 am

"Refutations to the Benoni"??
Hmm that is gonna be hard to do, I don't play it regularly, but the opening is sound...basically.
there are a few variations, if you can get black to use the move order..that do give White an edge...the Taimainov or flick Knife Variation, and maybe a 4 pawn attack if black treats it casually..

Keep me posted,Id love to hear the results of your attempts!
Well stated Iamachessstudent !

I was not aware of these variation names you've used here !

Live & Learn, I suppose !

On second thought ..... I'm feeling otherwise Daring ......

Reti to the front !!!!

Hmmm.....Here We Go Iangelli .....1.Nf3 !

:evil:

It's approx. 3:45 AM here, seems I play my best games in the middle of the night.

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:03 am

The Benoni is sound, no refutations possible there.
I am interested in old openings like King's Gambit. I have played it a lot, and tend to give a verdict: If White plays King's Gambit, Black wins. Yes.
Also Evans Gambit. I always thought White had to lose because of his dumb pawn sacrifice, but there are so many clever resources to white, it seems now a cert win/draw for white. Do you like to test the real value of the Evans (C51: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.b4) ? I challenge you, join me.
My Friend Cleenders ....[Chris] .....

Your knowledge of Opening Theory is apparent ! I'm Impressed ! ! !

I'm curious ..... have you spent much time studying middle-game-tactics, as well ... ? ? ?

And Please allow me to pose this question to you & any others,

who perhaps may be reading this thread ........

I find that my game's strengths / weaknesses, seem to go hand-in-hand

with what's going on in my life at any given time .......

Makes sense ....... ? ? . ?. ?