Zapper Madness 2011 Round Three Format.

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
cliff

Zapper Madness 2011 Round Three Format.

Post by cliff » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Zapper Memorial Team Tournament – Round Three Format.

There have been several requests to spped up the conclusion of the 2011 Zapper, so I bow to the opinions given. I think that one more Round should settle the Gold, Medal, and silver medals. Especially since the races are so close!

Round Three will be identical to Round One, except for slightly longer time limits.

The Round Three time controls will be 12d + 2d.

In the event of a Tie for either, there will be a Round Four identical to Round Three.

I hope that will alleviate some of the time problems.

It looks like Team Tyr and Caissa's Chosen will battle for the Gold, while Keep 'Em Checkmated and The Beerdrinkers will tussle for the Bronze.

Registration for the 2012 Zapper Memorial will begin on April 1, and the draft will be held in late May. The 2012 Zapper will begin on June 1. Many of us will likely be bounced from the 2012 Net-Chess Open by that time, except Nils, Josh, Pcmvr, and maybe a few others. The rules and Format for 2012 will be posted shortly.
Last edited by cliff on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

Re: Zapper Madness 2011 Round Three Format.

Post by ecperreault » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:45 pm

If there is a tie after Round 4???
Round 5 ...
Round 8 will start in 2025
errr... mayne a cutoff somewhere.

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Just let me know who to challenge or if I am the challengee. Thank you. Good luck to all combatants 8)

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:07 pm

who cares what Eugene thinks

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 pm

Hey, I do... sort of... well maybe... eh, who cares!

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:35 am

ecperreault wrote:If there is a tie after Round 4???
Round 5 ...
Round 8 will start in 2025
errr... mayne a cutoff somewhere.

If there remains a tie after Round Four, We'll go to Team Performance Ratings* in the Tournament to decide the winner....Kinda like the God-Forsaken Shootout used by the NHL, but...if not, as you say.

Good point though, Eugene! Thanks. We talked about it during one of our games, but it slipped my mind when I posted the above.

*(The same Performance Rating calculator that was used to fill Abiodun's spot when he had to drop out of last year's Zapper.
http://georgejohn.bcentralhost.com/tca/perfrate.html )

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:11 am

Sooo.... you are getting old too, eh?

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:07 pm

ummmJust tell me what to do I guess.?!:/
and For the Record: If every1 isnt committed to this,I suggest DO NOT join it in April, becasue for purities sake, it should go ALL the way to a natura lend and conclusion...and not have to end becasue ppl are complaining of the length..just my opinion but I will shut up now...ty

Joshua

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 am

Last edited by ecperreault on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:06 am

NO clue what all u just said :(

Joshua

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:06 am

Latin ... Lorem Ipsum. Was written in the 1500's

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:06 am

When read aloud it almost identical to an islanderfan oral book report :P

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:41 am

Ahhhok LOL then I guess?!
I stand by what I said tho....
Once you get into something...FINISH IT!!

Joshua

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:12 am

the only thing Josh, is that we lost a player and john in the beginning couldn't finish his first round. So I and only me will do some tweaking.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Last edited by ecperreault on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Hmmmm.... First, I have to have a long talk with George!

:lol:

Now for the important matters!

I really seemed to open a kettle of fish here. I thought I was finally doing something right here, in posting the Round Three and possibly Four formats for the 2011 Zapper, and seemed instead to open a kettle of fish!

First, to Josh: I think I understand how you feel, Josh. But in NO way was this a slight on Jeff or the Zapper Event! And ABSOLUTELY NOBODY who had wondered about the finale of the 2011 had intended not to return to the tournament! Indeed, several had played in both of the Zapper's to date! Your special connection to Jeff is a HUGE part of the tournament, Josh, and I hope sincerely you'll captain Caissa's Chosen again next year!

I think that the one of the main things about this Zapper that confused particpants was the slightly jumbled setup! When Brian put the 2011 together, he hadn't really thought through the following rounds, after the first. Sans it evolving into a multitude of matches, there was no real team concept left anymore. Then, when outside events, caused him to turn over the TD duties to me, I ended up far too preoccupied, and sometimes lazy, to participate. Guess I figured that with Eugene's excellent reporting, nt much more was needed. But, Brian, I and Eugene DID discuss the event's conclusion scenarios in many of our games, and when it finally got down to the last two games (as of now), I figured the tiime is ripe to announce the closing Round(s).

And, when I mentioned hoping you'd again captain Caissa's Chosen, part of my format is an EXPANSION of teams to 6 or 8. Depending on how many wish to be captains. That'll be an earlier registration. And, on Sunday, I'm free all day. I'll finally be able to post the 2012 Format! I've been sitting on it for a few days now, quite impatient;y!

:D

Next, to Brian: I really think you'll agree with me, that the only problem with the 2011 was that when the first format, which would have dimantled the Teams after Round One, was the lack of focus I (Yes, ME!) left you with. After Round Two was running, I really didn't communicate well enough with you, or anyone involved. My appolgies. But wait a few days, and you'll see the 2012 Format!

I'm trying to learn by my mistakes. Hope everyone stays.

:|

And lastly, to Eugene: "... it will frequently occur that pleasures have to be repudiated and annoyances accepted.", eh?

8)

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:54 pm

Yes, sir.
Now get the last round set.
This looks to be a great finish!
I think this has all the makings of what a 'Zapper Tournament' was meant to be.
A fight to the finish with many unusual happenings along the way.
All that needs to be done now to create a yearly classic is to streamline it.
Simple rules - easy understanding.
Send 'George' my best!

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Last edited by ecperreault on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnrbrown

Post by johnrbrown » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:11 am

I'd like to start by thanking Cliff for suggesting me to join my First Zapper Tournament. You are all a great bunch of players.
I was completely confused with the set up and with computer problems I could not even finish my first round.

I think that if you do run more teams next year that an easy plan would be to keep us in our board groups.
So Board 1 always plays board 1. If you have 6 teams then there would be 5 Rounds, 4 Teams 3 Rounds.
Make the tournament last say one - two months to a maximum of 3 months. Therefore if there are 4 Teams then one month per Round would be fine. 6 Teams then you may have to double up games in one of the three months.
This can be done by just giving each player enough time to make moves but not an endless time re: extra days added on.

Have a Team Captain be on different boards in each group so they can set up the challenges and then we just join and start playing.

I'm looking forward to the last Round. Is there any reason why the other Boards could not start their last Round that may help to speed up some of the players waiting to get going or do we have to wait until Round 2 is finished?
You can count on my playing for a team next time just give me a little head's up notice so I know you have started.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:58 am

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

well, I d like to lay in with a few thoughts, seems it seems tobe open season for that :

1) TY Johnbrown for thenice words about the tourney, and your willingness tobe back, i like !

2) This is a competive tournament,the games must be rated!! It makes no sense to "play for fun" if indeed this tournament means anything,we must keep ratings so there is a since of urgency and not a circus come to town,.

3) Thats a fast damn time limist, I cant get to the board everyda y and that does penalize those of us that cannot make a move a day becasue of school, work, personal...At least maybe make it 20d +1 we need something that is a REALISTIC expectation for this tournament soagain,its not like a 3 ring circus...

thos are my thought and again i SAy if u dont ant to follow through and PLAY a full match schedule , then please donot join..dont join n then ....I hope that the next time we play this cliff, Brian and Ecc can realize what needs to be done and improveit and make it realistic not a curcus
TYY for reading and your time

Sincerly
Jooshua

johnrbrown

Post by johnrbrown » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Josh;

I'm not sure how long these zapper tournaments are supposed to run per round.

I know on other chess sites, I play 7 days for 1 move then you get back the 7 days.That is basically one week to make a move.
Not sure if Net-chess has these types of time controls built into their system.
How about a time control of 7d +3 d that way you have 7 days to make a move and get 3 days back when you move.
I'm also not sure if that is how a 30d + 1d is done, 30 days to make a move then 1 day given back? When I'm able to use my home computer I try to make a move a day. When I have to use the Library I need more time to make moves. I think that is how I lost my 3 games in Rd 1 on time.

Then it is up to the Captains to come up with a happy medium of days to please as many as possible.

I guess the big question is: Can a group start it's next Round when it has completed it's current Round?

If you keep the time controls the same I can see no problem in that.

The scores can be held back until the previous Round is completed so that we know how our team stands after
each Round. We just don't have to sit idle until the previous round is done. Not everyone has work or school some are retired ( I'm not ) and want to get on to other events .

So let us have the Captains set up the time controls so we finish earlier. I'd like to get Round 3 started but I also don't want my team members to rush unfinished games just to please my idle time.

cliff

Post by cliff » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:10 am

Not much time to add the 2012 Format tonight, unfortunately.

Bad weather kept the little lady home today, and the relaxation time i had planned for here today, didn't quite make her short list of things for me to do....as a matter of fact, I don't think she even had it on the long list! :lol:

At any rate, I should be able to get it posted tomorrow, and after reading all the comments and input (much appreciated, by the way!) I'm glad for the extra night to change a couple of things.

First, I'm going to tinker with the time limits. I kind of like the short time limits myself, but being so occupied lately, I've found them a bother at times also. And I think that perhaps the very short time controls may have kept a couple of "big guns", such as perhaps Dave and Ramawolf away. I think we can come up with something that works for all.

On another note, I play three what I consider to be major tournaments here each year: The Net-Chess Open; The Zapper; and my ABC Tournament. I work hard through each of those. I've had some nice wins, beating Flyingtiger and winning the First Round of last years Open was one. Getting brought down to earth a few times, such as heyuneverno (on Keep 'Em Checkmated in this Zapper) sneaking in a one-move mate on me! I think I work harder because those events are rated! Any Zapper Tournament I direct will always be rated! Sure, it can also be free-wheeling and a bit of a circus, but I think that's how Jeff would have liked it anyway, although I never had the pleasure of meeting him here.

But really, what I want to do for this years is , as Eugene said, "...create a yearly classic...(by streamlining it)! Simeple rules, easy understanding!"

Ah well, off to bed folks! We'll post the format tomorrow, and I hope for more feedback overnight.

George says "Meow!"

:D :D :D

cliff

Post by cliff » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:15 am

One more thing: I just checked in on the First Board event, and see that Energy has swept Pcmvr, giving Team Tyr the win in Round Two. There's only the game between Nils and Angel left, so I think we can all be patient another week. I doubt it'll go any longer than that, and we should have the Final Round running in about 10-12 days. Sound fair?

By the way, Thanks Nils! Knew you could do it, old chum!

energy

Post by energy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:00 am

cliff wrote:One more thing: I just checked in on the First Board event, and see that Energy has swept Pcmvr, giving Team Tyr the win in Round Two. There's only the game between Nils and Angel left, so I think we can all be patient another week. I doubt it'll go any longer than that, and we should have the Final Round running in about 10-12 days. Sound fair?

By the way, Thanks Nils! Knew you could do it, old chum!

Thank you, boss! :D I very much doubt we'll finish in a week, nor even a month. You should just get next round started, IMHO...

Also, while being a fan of enough time per game to have the occasional vacation, I have always preferred the time limits 7d+1d, so that's where my vote goes!

Nils
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:01 am

Whoa whoa whoa, ANGELOFTHENIGHT is the ruler of board 1 well and franklin the whole tournament. What she says goes, I am just a pawn in the game!!!!! Cause Let me tell you when she gave that, as all men know, "the look" to me yeah... I am still in talks with a shrink!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:41 pm

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:06 pm

NO!!!
That isNOT acceptable to me
I e mailed u please answer

DONT Quit!!

Joshua

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Ah c'mon! Don't bail,man. The whole point is the fun! Doesn't even matter who wins or loses or what team does what ,except for how that can be turned into enjoyable trash talking. A few slow downs at round ends of course,but correspondence is all about patience anyway. If anything we could just harass & abuse the slowpokes in the forums! That would be well in keeping with the tourneys spirit so far! :D So keep playing,Eugene!

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:41 am

012 Zapper Memorial Tournament Format.

Good luck with the shrink, Brian! Although judging by my personal experience with that “look”, sometimes an Exorcist is really what's needed!

lol!

========================================================================================================

At any rate, I thought I'd first post the proposed format for the 2012 Zapper here, so we could kick it around a bit before making it official. I made some minor adjustments since reading the comments last night, particularly with the time controls. Now I see Nils has put forth an opinion favouring the shorter times. It appears we need something in between. So I had a thought: Why not base the time controls on the number of in the particular Tournament segment? I incoporated that idea into the format that follows.

A) The 2012 Zapper will consist of 6 Teams of 5 Boards.
Captains' Registration will begin on March 1, 2012, and run through March 31.
Player Registration will begin on April 1, and run though May 15 (or until 30 players including Captains is reached.

B) The Draft will be held on a weekend (to be determined) in late May, and the Zapper Tournament will begin on June 1, 2012. The order of draft will be determined the same as in the 2011 Zapper.*

(*An Excerpt from the Topic Thread “Zapper Madness”, posted June 26, 2011 reads: “ I suggest that the four captains agree on one weekend in the next month, that's they have time to read and respond to FOUR emails, I could easily arrange to be here for at least two weekends in July, so I'm flexible. At the start, I'd send each captain an email with the pool players listed, and the data, such as ratings, names, etc. 

Then four ROUND ONE, each captain submits a number of picks: Whoever selects first, submits ONE name, since he knows he's going to get it. The Captain picking second, submits an email with TWO picks on it. If the first has been chosen, he gets his second pick. The third picking captain submits THREE names, and the last picker submits FOUR names. 
“ The same would apply all though the draft.)

That worked flawlessly for the Four Captains, and I see no reason it couldn't work just as well for six or even 8!

Now for the Round Play and the ever-contentious matter of time limits:

C)The Teams will consist of Five Boards each, and the individual Boards will again play amongst themselves, as in the 2011 Zapper.

D)In Round One, all six teams will play in a “Mish-Mash” Round.
- The Tournament will be one game against each other Board player. So each player will play five games in that Round. There will be a member of each team playing, for six players per Board.
- The time limits will be 20g + 1d.

E) Round Two will consist of two separate “Mini-Rounds.” The First, Third, and Fifth place teams from Round One will play as before, Board players vs Board players as always, in one Mini-Round, while the Second, Fourth, and Sixth place teams place similarly in the other Mini-Round.
The tournaments will be two games against each other Board player. So each player will play four games in that Mini-Round.
The time limits will be 10d + 2d.

F) In Round Three, the top four placing teams from the total points from Round One and two will play each other in a “Playoff Round.”
The Tournament will be two games against each other Board player. So each player will play six games in that Round. There will be a member of each team playing for four players per Board.
The time limits will be 15d +1.5d
The First place team will be awarded the Gold Zapper, the second place team will be awarded the Silver Zapper, and the third place team will be awarded the Bronze Zapper. Last place gets Zapped! NOTE: In this final round, ONLY the points from this round will be used in the decision of finish.

G) Tie breaks will be broken using Team performance Scores for all Rounds to date of use.

H) All games will be rated.

I) Officials will be Cliff (Tournament Director) Brian (Assistant Director) and hopefully (!) Eugene (Assistant Director and Reporter).
=========================================================================================
As you can see, I wrote that before the latest developments here.

I hope I've solved the time control proble, Eugene, to everyone's satisfaction. If that's one of the problems, well, that's why I'm posting this here first. So we can tweak it, if needed. You said it better than I did, when you said “streamlined and easy to understand” That's how I want to make the event!

If it was the rated games debate, I'm sorry, but those are my strong opinions on the matter. (Heck, old buddy, you gained great points in this year's event!) However, I believe in democracy. I'm willing to toss it to the floor, and see other opinions.

If it's the length of time for the event, well, I'm not sure that it really takes any longer for some of the Open Tournaments, and I'd wager it's shorter for that matter! Last years ran from June to December. About seven months, start to finish. (Granted, it likely would have gone longer, but David and Andreas agreed to split the 2010 Zapper Championship.) I think with the new format for 2012, it could run a nice course in 4 or 5 months. Doesn't seem to long for a major tournament here.

If your concern is the start of Round Three tin this tournament, after reading the input from Nils, I'm inclined to agree with he, you, and John! Let's start up Round Three on Wednesday! Works for me, but if it was important to the final order of finish, I think you'd agree we'd have to wait it out, right?

If it's about the seemingly endless debates we're having, Chris summed it up! It's in the spirit of the Zapper, and good natured debate and banter! You're pretty good at that, yourself, Mon ami! :)

Lastly, I implore you to change your mind, and stay with the crazy thing, Eugene! Your heaven knows what openings and posts from Grabmyack have been fantastic, and have been a tremendous addition to this event!
========================================================================================================

Now, how's this all sound to you folks for the 2012 Format? Any ideas, tweaks, critiques, hell, even compliments will be accepted! :)

Hope for positve news all around when I sign in tomorrow!

- Cliff.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 am

Leave the time controls as 10d+1d. If someone has an issue that has come up, Greg I think would be able to pause the clock for us.
Now as far as the bickering goes,God what are we 5? Grow a set of balls people; you sound like that moron Cornstalk that cried years ago over, well who the hell cares.It's a GAME. Last I checked there wasn't money put on the table, unless I missed the memo? I didn't want it to last this long, that is the reason why I put the time controls as they were. This was supposed to be fun and enjoying and WE ALL have gotten away from that. That is the one problem with the forum, you can't judge intent. So just breathe peeps and move on.
Cliff let me look over what you wrote; so far it looks ok.

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:31 am

Yup. I hate to see there's been any contention. This has been the most fun I've had in a chess tourney so far; due soley to the quality,humor & personality of the folks involved. Would hate anyone to leave or get hurt feelings or anything over it. My only complaint has been that my play quality took a nosedive due to having so much fun poking fun at Brian & enjoying the team rivalry trash talk & reports! :D I can live with that!

johnrbrown

Post by johnrbrown » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:44 am

Hi Brian and Cliff;

Just to clear things for me.For Zapper 2011:
Will Round 3 start Wednesday and is time control 12d+1d or 10d+1d?

If Zapper 2012 is going to start in June I may also have to bow out.

I thought from above posts that Zapper 2012 would be started in April.
I may be wrong as there is a lot of extra stuff to read each time.
If we are playing for fun then why so much trouble getting the thing started.
Cannot the Team Captains start their new line ups now?
If those who do not like short time controls then
they can choose not to play. For me any time control is fine I like shorter ones so I don't have to play games forever.
But that is my opinion.

I personally do not like playing a mish mash Rd 1 if we are playing as a Team then we should stay playing same board players each round.
I think in the Olympic Team Matches the Captain is allowed to change players but we are not playing for the Olympics.
I think the tournament is starting to get too many fine tuning changes.
Make it simple and make it finish in a reasonable time.

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:37 am

Well, after reading all the opinions expressed, I can see a few changes are in order. The compromise with the time controls seems to have fallen flat! The start date is a problem. Now that we're ready to start Round Three, is Eugene still here?

I don't remember this much controversy in last year's Zapper. Maybe we should scrap the teams and just go back to that format?

Maybe the problem is with me! Could be, you know! John's right. This is way more complicated than it should be.

That would HAVE to be my fault!

I'm waiting to hear back from Josh, after sending him an email earlier. I may have ONE more idea.

If that doesn't fly...well, we go from there, eh?

- Cliff.

:?:

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:05 am

Well, it's been a few days, and Josh has had no reply for Eugene. I just sent him an eamil myself with a couple of proposals that Josh agreed with as well as I.

-- The time controls be reduced in all future Zapper Team events to 12d+1d. The same time controls will apply to Round Three in this Zapper.
(Frankly, I was surprised that so many players prefer the fast time controls in the event! But since so many do, it makes sense to put them in!)

--In return, both Josh and myself insist the be rated!
(So one side concedes on time. contrtols, and hopefully the other side concedes on rated . Seems perfectly fair to me!)

Now for the next problem!

We'd all like to get Round Three started, I think. But we have a slight technical problem: Caissa's Chosen is missing a player! How long do we wait for Eugene to respond here, or to Josh or myself? KIllerwolf just missed the entry dates for both the 2010 Zapper, as well as the 2011 Zapper. Logically, I could send him a PM and invite him. If he can't make it, another possibility is Rhand. (Knightmare and Flyingtiger are other possibilities, but I think Bringing in a ringer for the last round could be consisdered...er...not fair? :!: )

But supposing Eugene has personal reasons, and really only needs a few days off? He's put a lot of hard work into the wonderful Reports which have kept us so amused, and the Scoreboard which has organized everything so neatly! I think we owe him for that. (Not to mention he also beat me in Round Two! I want revenge!Grrr! :evil: )

So the big question is:

How long do we wait?

I'd like to suggest we wait until Monday. I'll send Killerwolf and Rhand PM's and ask them if they're willing to be on standby for a Wednesday start date. That's the best idea I can come up with, but if anyone has others, I'm as game as anyone! I think we all just want to get started again in Round Three!

:)

Oh, and one more thing, to Johnrbrown: I don't think there's be any objections to starting a bit earlier than June, John. If we started registration in March, and got the captains as we go, I'm game for an April start date.
Everyone okay with that?

:?:

All for now. Hope for some interesting feedback by then!

- Cliff.

8)

johnrbrown

Post by johnrbrown » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:53 am

Hi Cliff;

I think bringing a fresh player in for the last Round is not a good idea. I suggest that the team captains consider all games with ecperreault as draws for the final 3rd round. That way they will not effect the outcome of the final results.
If he changes his mind in the final count down deadline and wants to play then put him in.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:23 am

Well how about this idea, call this tourney done, declare the placements ie 1st 2nd etc. and Start anew. me josh cliff and jan as captains and redraft. I think that is the only fair way. Rated yes and time as stated above.
As a personal note, this was a tribute to a player on here, who had some of the most "weird" moves that I know of, and crush opp.. Somewhere somehow, this got blown way off course to what it was supposed to be. Therefore I ask that since that the players that wish and want to play this idea, to keep that tribute in mind and quit the *@%$^! BICKERING and, for a New York USA term"all the pussy a** shi*!" Jeff would not be pleased, and neither am I as neither should any of you.
Eugene if you see this I hope you come back and play. Your a good person and chess player, and hopefully we can work out the differences that you think was around.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:04 am

You really made good points Brian!
I knew Jeff well and ya , hed hate all this . and complaining, so lets try and make it FUN and just play some good chess,nice chats ,and may the bst team win!
Just tell me what ihave to do once we start anewand all the guidelines are in place:)

Have a killer weekend every1!!
Joshua

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Good Morning, Folks...er...afternoon...whatever...

:)

There's an old saying that goes, "No news is good news!" I wish I could say I had good news. But, alas...

I've heard from Eugene. He won't be returning for Round Three. And although he hopes to be able to compete in the 2012 Net-Chess Open, he won't be able to join the 2012 Zapper. His reasons are not petty. They go far beyond the board, and have nothing to do with Ratings, Formats, and certainly not the players! He's asked me to keep his reasons confidential, and I respect that. he gave the Zapper a nice glitter with his banter and reporting, and I wish him well, and hope to meet him again.

He also encouraged me to take charge of the Zapper. I will do that!

We're keeping the team format for the 2012. And Round Three in this Zapper will begin as soon as we find a replacement. I hope to hear from either Killerwolf or Rhand in a day or so, and we can still aim for a Wednesday start date. In the meantime, I'll work on getting something posted for the Zapper Scoreboard topic, and try to have that up later today or tomorrow. It won't be as fancy as Eugene's, since I lack his graphic skills, but I'll do the best I can.

- Cliff

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 pm

I can try and help you Cliff...
annotate or point out a few points of interst in the games and forward them to u so u can include it in your post..
It might make for some good in-depth thoughts and analysis if youd like :)
Let me know what else I can do here or e mail me
Joshua

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Jodh, my boy, you're a mind reader!

I was going to email you and ask you the same thing later! Thanks, old buddy!

I'll drop you an email later!

Thanks!

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Cliff, I asked knightmare a while back and roadrunner, both would like to join so lets just do a whole another draft and see what happens.

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:21 pm

I've beat a few bushes myself, Brian.

After a few days of nothing, I had a fast reply yeaterday!

We have Gregorgysi (Gregor - Germany) (2444) to fill that vacant spot on Joshs team, and I'll post the Board Tournaments next, so we can get a start by maybe, Saturday? Finally!

:D

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:44 pm

wait wait what?? No redo? what is going on?

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:00 pm

First off, before anyone forgets, these are the teams in the Zapper Madness 2011!
(Ratings given are at the start time of the event.)

Team Tyr
1 – energy (2819) (Nils – Norway)
2 – johnrbrown (2295) (John Brown – Canada)
3 – cliff (2697) (Cliff – Canada) Captain
4 – johnb (2291) (John White – Canada)
5 – redketchuplover (2240) (USA)

Caissa's Chosen
1 – pcmvr (2883) (Pete – USA)
2 – iamachessstudent (2693) (Josh – USA) Captain
3 – gregorgysi (2444) (Gregor - Germany)
4 – cmulligan (2072) ( Chris – USA)
5 – pwillows (2053) (Pete – Australia)
(ecperreault (2287) (Eugene – USA) - withdrew 3rd Round)

Keep Em Checkmated
1 – angelofthenight (2632) (Angel – Canada)
2 – heyuneverno (2053) (Jim - USA)
3 – pawnraider (2316) (Paul – Germany)
4 – islanderfan (2069) (Brian - USA) Captain
5 – sour (1973) (Tommy - USA)
(wilbeerthoven (2400) (Bruno - Brazil) - withdrew 2nd Round)

The Beerdrinkers
1 – jvanmechelen (2571) (Jan – Belgium) Captain
2 – sisterofmercy (2468) (Hans – Belgium)
3 – pumpkin (2347) (Wade – Canada)
4 – mi (2245) (Michel – France)
5 – jsiebert (1765) (Judy – USA)

So the Round Three Tournaments will be:

Zapper 2011 Board One:
energy, angelofthenight, pcmvr, jvanmechelen

Zapper 2011 Board Two:
johnrbrown, iamachessstudent, sisterofmercy, heyuneverno

Zapper 2011 Board Three:
cliff, gregorgysi, pawnraider, pumpkin

Zapper 2011 Board Four:
johnb, islanderfan, mi, cmulligan

Zapper 2011 Board Five:
redketchuplover, jsiebert, sour, pwillows

I'll post the Board Three tournament tomorrow, and I would like to ask Nils, Josh, Brian, and Redketchuplover to post their respective boards, and name them Board (number) - Round 3 - Zapper 2011,
The tournament will be 1 game against each opponent, so each player will play 3 games . The time controls will be 12d+1d.
When the Tournaments start, please post the Match number in the 2011 Zapper Round Three topic.

*As far as the redos go, Brian. I know us NHL fans love the idea of drafting all the time, but some others don't, and frankly right now, I think it's best to get Round 3 off and running as soon as possible! But, hey! With the new Zapper 2012 start date of April 1, we'll be holding a new draft in less than two months! Heck, the Islanders might even win another game by then!

energy

Post by energy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 am

Board 1 - Round 3 - Zapper 2011 posted. Waiting for others to join to get the match number.
Nils

--

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Zapper Madness: Board 2 round 3 posted
Waiting for others to join for Match number :)

Joshua

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Board 5 Round 3 Zapper Memorial (hope that's ok)posted. Awaiting opponents joining. Good luck to all.

I suggest contacting your opponents in the name of expediency 8)

energy

Post by energy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 am

Board 1 - Round 3 - Zapper 2011 has the match number m1327673787:
http://www.net-chess.com/matchstats.cgi?id=m1327673787

BTW: Round 2 is finished.
Nils

--