Greg Reverse?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
islanderfan

Greg Reverse?

Post by islanderfan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:23 am

Greg are you able to give back time in a game that was already a timeout win?

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: Greg Reverse?

Post by gmiller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Not unless it was really important.
Greg Miller

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:27 pm

important? jesus freakin christ. Man Greg I defended your site from the likes of cornstalk, malakov,monajimenez, etc. and you say something childish and pathetic as that? Forget you and can see why these people have criticized you and your site. To answer the "importance": It was to give Mike (mluka) more time. But I guess if I was some big shot 2800 or so ranked player, would get more attention.

dstephens

Post by dstephens » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:37 pm

islanderfan wrote:important? jesus freakin christ. Man Greg I defended your site from the likes of cornstalk, malakov,monajimenez, etc. and you say something childish and pathetic as that? Forget you and can see why these people have criticized you and your site. To answer the "importance": It was to give Mike (mluka) more time. But I guess if I was some big shot 2800 or so ranked player, would get more attention.
Have you tried offering him a bribe??? Maybe some incentive would provide him the motivation of giving mluka more time to complete your game. I don't know how much time and or effort is required to add more time to a game that was timed out but if Greg accepts one request, then he will have to accept every request. And if he accepts one request, he will likely be flooded with numerous requests to add more time on a timed out game.

For someone who takes pride in defending this site against monajimenez, you are starting to sound like him when you talk about being a 2800+ ranked player will get you more attention. A high rating doesn't guarantee you more respect or the type of attention that you desire.

If you are seeking enjoyable games on this site, I have one suggestion. Send one challenge to mluka. Play one game with what ever time limit that you desire. When you have the opportunity to choose the opening moves, copy the moves from your game, before the time out, and paste it in the opening moves box. This should theoretically start a new match with mluka with the game that you played previously and each of you will have all the time that you need.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:38 am

Could careless about the game, the point is been proven from previous posts. Giving time to Mike doesn't help me win or give me rating points or anything else. The other point, I was asking for him to reverse the timeout and put time on for Mike's own sake. Whether Mike wants it as a loss or to continue is up to him.Am looking to assist him cause he is doing a ton of things and I don't care for timeouts to up my so called rating. I would rather earn it by legit checkmate(s). What about dstephens, if these players where to timeout to me? IE: Davidswhite or ramawolf or iamachessstudent or even yourself? If I would ask the same thing you would still take that as to many "requests and I should offer some bribe?" That makes no sense. Greg's response is what pisses me off. And how does me saying "if I was some 2800 player" sound like that dork monajimenez?" But you are correct in one thing. I defended Greg numerous times and am one of the longest tenured members here. I expect a a very small amount gratitude at least for that. Not to be treated like some child. I didn't do it to him so where did it come from?
As far as the sites requests, that's not my problem. It's HIS site and that comes with the territory of owning a chess site.So for him to be "flooded" with requests; oh please.What is he 5? And he can't handle it? then why have the site in the first place if you can't handle the requests?
Yes it's free.Yes Greg has some sort of life that doesn't revolve around this site, but that's by his choice and things Greg does are his, not mine. And a rating in the upper 2000's, does get some respect and attention that I am talking about. Look at previous posts of players asking for things and getting it. Also ask low ranked players about who they give the higher ranked players the respect they deserve.Some do; I know I do. By respect an example could be resigning a game you can't win or if said person(s) are playing to many games to wait etc. I believe we have played before dstephens, and remember nothing but good chess and chat and won't change in my view.So don't take this as an attack on you.
Somewhere Greg knows I am right, but won't admit it.

jumpnmustang

Post by jumpnmustang » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:11 pm

I am not sure what the problem is really. I would think that reversing a game already timed out and adding time would be a general courtesy that would have to be determined if it was worthy to go through to time to do it. And that getting belligerent about it and even quoting ratings is the childish behavior. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers. Just stating an observation.

1. Shouldn't have anything to do with ratings. I am almost 2550 and have asked him pretty similar questions with no extra respect to my rating.
2. The rules are that time outs are the logical outcome of taking to long to move and accepted as such.
3. The admin of his own site should have more powers than a common TD and therefore should have more respect on decision making.
4. I don't think bringing up past issues is a good way to rebuttal an admin routine decision just because you don't like the decision.
5. I personally think the reason Greg gave was sufficient and worthy of stating according to normal administration of a site. I think Greg deserves more respect then was giving in this post.

Why not give the reason in a calm manner and see if he accepts the reason? I mean in my opinion if it was rated it shouldn't be reversed at all. Rated games are suppose to be serious. If it was unrated, that is different.

Note: Then again, maybe there should be a button added to allow a player to call a flag by hand or have a clickable option when starting the game to have the button there for courtesy. That way if you feel you want to add time for some reason (unknown to me why someone would want to do that if they were half way serious) you can potentially ask for it then.

EDIT: Also maybe a suggestion to add vacation options could be of use if that has not already been implemented.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Jesse, my beef with Greg is he seems to bend over backwards for people who have higher rankings, and for when other players ask for things he gives a smart . remark. I wasn't asking for the reversal for me. Was asking for it on behalf of Mike cause he was busy taking care of other things, and don't wish to win cause of a time out that could have been avoided.I like Mike and enjoy the game more than a win loss record or rating.
The vacation function has been asked hell a freakin numerous times, but Greg as usual doesn't change things to much. Nor unless he comes up with the idea, doesn't like when people make suggestions to improve. Understand your point Jesse, hope you see where I am coming from.

jumpnmustang

Post by jumpnmustang » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:09 pm

islanderfan wrote:Jesse, my beef with Greg is he seems to bend over backwards for people who have higher rankings, and for when other players ask for things he gives a smart . remark. I wasn't asking for the reversal for me. Was asking for it on behalf of Mike cause he was busy taking care of other things, and don't wish to win cause of a time out that could have been avoided.I like Mike and enjoy the game more than a win loss record or rating.
I don't know anything about this on other posts because I am not on here much. I am sorry about that, so no opinion there. When I read these posts it's usually fun to scan, but with my syldexia it's hard to take everything in. But I try. :|
The vacation function has been asked hell a freakin numerous times, but Greg as usual doesn't change things to much. Nor unless he comes up with the idea, doesn't like when people make suggestions to improve. Understand your point Jesse, hope you see where I am coming from.
If he has been asked then I would say it's possible you have a case to be of concern. A vacation feature is not an outrageous request. Even to the point that the players can agree or disagree to the vacation prior to game start. I am not saying you don't have anything.. Just possibly need someone to interject. Remember that level heads prevail bud. Even if you must prevail by going to better things/sites/interests/activities. If you are the one with the level head, and you have well thought out intentions you are never in the wrong. Even if the subject in general is denied for whatever reason. :D Sometimes admins need help remembering to do things. So it's possible poking Greg every now and then with help of supporters of your cause could be more beneficial than lets say getting upset where you could lose your cool. I would be happy to be in support of your vacation feature. And if you wanted to eliminate autoflag where you have the option of having a flag button.. I would be a supporter of that as well. I personally think autoflag is a terrible option anywhere. And I should have the option to play on or flag if I want to. Know what I mean?

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:58 pm

That's the thing Jesse, is we have. He refuses to do it.

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:17 am

Brian,
there have been many occasions when I've asked Greg to put additional time on Mike's clock and he's always complied without fanfare.
In each instance the games involved were still ongoing...i.e. had not yet timed out.
When you asked Greg if he was able to give back time in a game that was already a timeout win,he replied the same day "not unless it was
really important".
The reason for Greg's qualification has everything to do with the time and difficulty required of him to retrieve the game from the archives,remove
all traces of its completion and restore it to the active games file with the requested added time,and nothing whatever to do with the rating of the
player requesting its resurrection.He didn't exclude the possibility of doing it but rather stipulated that there be a "really important" reason behind
the request.
As you later said,you could care less about the game in question and had only been trying,belatedly,to let mluka back into the game.

Brian,as your friend I feel that you've arrived at a totally wrong position in this matter and should set it right by posting an apology to Greg for having unjustifiably gone postal on him.
Bestest,
David

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:46 am

Dave I would have rather had Greg say no than "unless it's really important". But it is a request that I don't think has ever been asked for. I didn't do it for me( more than likely would lose the game itself). I asked for it cause I don't want a win against Mike as a timeout.I want the win as a mate or a resignation. Same as against you, if it ever happens. Dave I always don't "care"(I do but not psycho about em) about games or worry about if I win, lose or draw. I don't miss sleep over them.Hence me defending Greg so many times on people who cry about ratings, time controls etc.
In the net-chess round 2 thread, Greg is wrong and maybe my feelings of how he answered the question boiled from there to here. Unfortunately Dave I don't feel an apology is in order. To me it's not ok in Greg's choice of the tournament round. It showed blatant favoritism. And what would be the point of asking Greg a request,if he won't give consideration to it? A response of "unless it's really important", is not consideration and almost borders on the F OFF answer.
Dave will ask you this though, if YOU were to ask the same question, don't you feel you would've got a different response than what he gave me? If you can say yes,even in a small amount, than you understand why I will not give an apology. If you don't then we totally disagree on the subject and that is ok.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:34 am

I'm not going to spend 30 minutes of my time restoring a game you're going to spend 10 minutes playing. And, yes, it's true that if you were Magnus Carlsen I would be much more accommodating with my time.
Greg Miller

ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

Post by ecperreault » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Last edited by ecperreault on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks for proving my point Greg aka Redneck

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:00 pm

and this is my last post. F these forums.

wolfengeist

Post by wolfengeist » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:43 pm

don't ever say that again alright :(