What was this?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

What was this?

Post by ecperreault » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Now, I have been known to blow a game occasionally, but... 6 MOVES?!
http://www.net-chess.com/viewgame.cgi?p1=g1105107872
Looks like the 'Predator' got caught napping in his den.
False hopes are spreading throughout the 2012 Net-Chess tournament!

islanderfan

Re: What was this?

Post by islanderfan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Curious to why your "spying" on this game, and why can't Dave do this when I play him!?

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Anytime David drops off 3000, I am curious what opening was used.
A 30 point drop only means one thing... a loss.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Nya, nya!!!
You are just mad because I spotted it first!

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:52 am

Eugene,
I've come close to losing to Mike(mluka)more than a few times in the 150 plus games we've played since we each joined this site in November,1999.However,he'd
never won a game before and I'd probably won the last 50 games or more in a row.
Still,Mike(certainly my oldest and probably my closest friend on Net-Chess) is capable of sometimes playing a very strong game and incapable of missing an
overwhelming opening screwup by me or anyone else.
Maybe once every year or two I write down on my scorecard my next move and the move I expect to make after it and then accidentally ,paying no attention to the board,or my scorecard,play the last move I had in mind.In this game I wrote down 5.c3 and an expected 6.f3. Unfortunately for me,when I made my move,I played f3 since it was fresher in my mind and wasn't in the least concerned about the position because,in what passes as my mind,I'd imagined that I'd already played c3.
Thinking that I must have prepared an insidious trap for him,Mike took about 5 or 6 days to feel safe in pouncing and,when he did,I first became aware of my egregious
blunder and immediately resigned.
Losing in 6 moves is a new personal worst for me but,to be frank,I'm pretty sure my chess skills are heading south lately for a whole variety of reasons and had all I could handle to even advance to the 2nd round of the site championship.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:36 pm

David,
You make it sound very eloquent as usual.
We, being the masses here on the site, when we make such a common error usually explain it as such:
'I can't believe I moved that to that $%^&ing square! What a complete &^^&%$$%7 %#@@^% a$$hol3 I am. Crap!'
Then we re-challenge the opponent with the complete conviction that it never happened in the first place.
Don't worry, you would have been allowed the 'Munbehend' rule, should something as drastic and world changing as you not advancing to the 2nd Round have occurred.
NOTE: This type of thing happens to Brian all the time. However it must be pointed out to him by his opponent or Brian just wonders what happened to his piece some 5-6 moves later.
Me?! I have NEVER lost a piece... EVER. It is always just a miscommunication between the Keyboard and the CPU.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:50 am

David was very eloquent and what he says is very true!
I have done the dame, my moves already picked out and I don't double check..I just make the move!

I know Mike from my uncles games, and Jeff thought very highly of Mike and they played many game.. it is definitively no disgrace to lose to Mike!

joshua

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:56 pm

I agree, Mike himself should be in a higher rating. I have known Mike for as long as I have known Dave, being on this site and since I have draws against asoka knightmare, Josh, Jan, and coming close to Cliff and angelofthenight, Dave soon will fall to me( insert evil laugh here :evil: ) But I hope soon Dave we will play again, since the named people above have said my game has gotten better. 8)

P.S, Dave you can't loose. In my office pool, I picked you to win. And I don't want to lose $50,000. so thanks! :)

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 pm

It is true, your games has gotten better. You attacked me this time for a change.
I put $1 on DavidSWhite to win again in Vegas. But I have $1,000 on Munbehend! With divine intervention like he receives, it is a cautionary bet.