David S White

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

David S White

Post by ecperreault » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:42 am

Last edited by ecperreault on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

krambambuli

Re: David S White

Post by krambambuli » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:33 am

Hi, ecperreault
your game as White was rather suicidal I mean you threw yourself under the bus called David:-)A predator like my friend David doesn't need any invitation to swallow that bite:-) However I think your game as Black was much better, your move 1...a6 being played by many GMs like GM Tony Miles did against Karpov several decades ago. I would recommend next time to play as White 1.a3 helping you to avoid many openings and sidelines or to equalize easily. But 1.h3?.
krambambuli

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:27 am

the games did look fun and thats is very kool!
It is always enjoyable to play someone that you can have a good game and have a meaningful talk with at the same time!
One of the main positives about this site that I like :)
thank u for sharing those games and insights:)

Joshua

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:05 am

Wow am I the only won to crush David into submission??? I must be the chosen one! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) 8)

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Last edited by ecperreault on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpettit

Post by jpettit » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:08 pm

These games confirm that old adage:

There are masters, there are grandmasters, and then there are players like David S White.

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Over the last 4 or 5 days,for the sake of my mental health,I've avoided this forum just in case that recent forum agent provacoteur(unnamed) continued to pepper us with more of his incessant crap.
Finding the coast clear today,I got down to getting current on the latest goings on in the General Forum.
Lo and behold,I quickly came upon this thread started by Eugene(ecperrealt) last Sunday,with my name as its header,and to which I wish to respond.

To Eugene,
I feel exactly as you about our match,particularly in regard to the game you replied to my usual 1.e4 with the most unusual(to me,at least!)1...a6(The St. George Defense,I later learned).My initial reaction was to underestimate the dynamic possibilities for black of a setup which strongly suggested that a6 would be followed by b5 and Bb7.I proceeded to march my pieces out to stake white's claim to the center intending an early attack on the black king when I suddenly realized,after about my 6th move,that I'd badly misjudged and that white had more immediate things to concern itself with defensively than it had black weaknesses to exploit.It was at about this time that you and I began voluntarily exchanging the thoughts behind each of our moves.Even then I was unable to resist the urge to lay one or two unannounced queen traps...which you instantly recognized and easily side-stepped as I was,by that time,certain that you would.From then on it was genuine full disclosure and the 1st game I've ever played with each move annotated DURING the game itself.For me it was a liberating,instructive and totally exhilarating experience.It was only after my 6th move awakening that I researched in depth the history of your opening.Naturally I was quickly drawn to the 1980 shocker where Tony Miles used it in beating the reigning World Champion,Anatoli Karpov.All I had actually remembered about that game was Karpov's gracelessness,after losing the game,in characterizing Miles choice of openings as "insulting"! Now,realizing that the opening Karpov was referring to was the very one you were using against me,my knee-jerk reaction was "Oh,xxxx!"
Considering that while we were playing our game,you were also able to overcome some pretty stiff competition in winning your group in the 1st round of the Site Championship,all the while undergoing a constant stream of invasive and painful medical procedures,I've become,Eugene,one of your greatest admirers.

To krambambuli
Hans,my dear old friend,it's not often that I would feel flattered,as I do now,by being described as a "predator".I must,however,point out with full chess acknowledgement in your case,that it really takes one to know one.

To iamachessstudent
Joshua,
I couldn't agree more!

To islanderfan
Brian,
I knew I could count on you to unswell my head by reminding me of the countless thrashings you've visited me with on the chess board!!!

To jpettit,
Jonathan,
hi,my young,old friend.
Though certainly hyperbolic(a strong GM would surely chew me up and spit me out)the spirit behind your statement represents for me the greatest chess accolade I've ever received.

Eugene,
I'm very grateful to you for initiating a thread which,as it turns out,I'd most proudly delight in having for a chess epitaph.
All my best wishes,
David

cliff

Post by cliff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:07 am

You know, after reading the last few posts here, especially David's touching tribute to all the Net-Chess mainstays he mentioned, it made me think of a way to express the charm of this site so much!

The theme song for Net-Chess, to me, could easily be this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8ljNobUys

This is my fourth year here, and I hope I'm still trading some wit and whimsy with the rest of you for years to come!

- Cliff.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:24 am

Leave it to the canuk to put something from Boston, for us New Yorkers lol

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:47 pm

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:19 pm

ecperreault wrote:Was just looking at a 2 games, from 2006 & 2007 where pcmvr played 1.b4 vs jjones. They finished with a Win and a Draw for pcmvr who played White in both games.
I may take a look at 1.b4 & 1.g4, hopefully no one would feel insulted or offended by my playing them. Maybe 50 games should supply a nice varied database selection from which to draw ideas from.
We shall see.
I would be deeply insulted & offended by anything you did at all,on general principle! :D :lol: Pcmvr plays 1.b4 a lot & way better than I do so look at his more recent games as well. He has posted several 1.b4 thematic matches in the recent past. I've never played 1.g4 though I do have a couple of books on it. Basman is it's most well known & strongest proponent that I'm aware of. I'd recommend his book The Killer Grob if you can find a copy. Dynamic White Openings by Tim Harding also has informative chapters on both openings. With 1.b4, I personally think 2.b5 is the best response to 1...e5(this line is covered in DWO,in fact).I don't have the skill or expertise to fully put the theory into practice though. I'm sure you could do much better with it. Bear in mind;of course,that my most recent analysis is woefully out of date,so if a stronger,more current player tells you something else go with their advice.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Well, thanks for that note cmulligan. Maybe I shall just challenge pcmvr to a match with 1.b4 and see what happens...

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:56 pm

No problem,Eugene. :) Glad to help if I can,in between snarky comments of course! :lol: As far as I know,pcmvr is definitely the go-to-guy for 1.b4 around here. Can't say about 1.g4 though I'd be happy to play you a match for fun,can't guarantee any kind of top quality play or analysis of course.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:11 pm

I shall make a match of them!
Is 1.g4 called The Spike?
And 1.b4 The Polish Opening?

krambambuli

Post by krambambuli » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:33 am

The chess epitaph David S. White:

Look at this impressive thinker pose:-) However I would have preferred this one:
Corresponding more to your kind of playing David:-)

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:39 pm

still waiting Hans! The longer I wait the meaner I become!

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Hey David and company :)

Thought I'd add a few statistics and trivia about both the Sokolsky (1.b4) and the Grob (1.g4) and hope it makes the post more enlightened and what not ::)

The Sokolsky ( or as Tatakower called it, the "Orang-utang" ( he had gotten the idea as he visited the Vienna Zoo) and which he used to defeat Richard Reti in 1919 ..Primarily is used to gain an advantage on the Queen's side and the position are very "independent" with lots of the thinking worked out over the board as opposed to preparation.
First played by Arthur Skipworth against Cutherbertson in the BCA (British Championship) in 1868 ( 1-0 in 29 moves), it is only used sparingly today at GM level, but is popular at the Club levels all over the country,

some stats for the opening,,,Of the 7,310 games I found in my database, the average winning percentile for White is: 48.3%
the 2 most popular moves against it are 1...e5 with a 47.7% for White and
1...d5 with a 46.1% for White.

The Grob

This was a huge favorite of the GM Michael Basman in the 60's 70';d and 80's. tho most theroticians call it "dubious", it is much more popular at the club level with players that like obscure, murky positions,.

The first game played with the opening was Fred Brown-Van Vilet in 1904 won by White in 27 moves.

In the database, I found 1,046 games played with this opening,.of that White has over win percentage of: 49.5%
The 2 most popular Black replies: 1...e5 scores a 45.9% for White,
while 1...d5, scores a 47.9% for White.

I enjoyed compiling the data and hope that all of you at least enjoyed it :)
thanks!!!

Joshua

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 pm

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:49 pm

I have faced the Sokolski only 4 times and an 2-2 total against it point total not win loss
Have not fought the Grob, but its a rare opening at best..

To each their own I guess:)

Joshua

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed May 02, 2012 9:58 pm