Please ban idontknow from the system

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
tbrannon

Please ban idontknow from the system

Post by tbrannon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:13 am

or keep him from playing me... he is intentionally losing games. Just look at our current game:

http://slowchess.com/viewgame.cgi?p1=g1 ... 4979502755

He is throwing away a knight for no good reason.

What a waste of time.

gregorgysi

Post by gregorgysi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:26 am

Noi need to ban him. He's just a bad player (Sorry Idon'tknow). He played 1....a6 ´1...h6 1...b5 or so in the opening. I told him some opening principles and he's doing a bit better now. He just does not care about material. If you don't want to play against him why don't you limit your matches? He's got 1300. Simplypost your matches with min/max rating.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:29 pm

I agree Brannon, the girl is a moron

hamot

Post by hamot » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:57 pm

Take it easy on the personal attacks.

ironbutterfly

Post by ironbutterfly » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:53 am

She just needs to read a book on Fundemental Principles like Modern
Chess Strategy by Edward Lasker.

We shouldn't look down on beginners because we all were one once just
like her.

slowblunder

no need to ban him/her

Post by slowblunder » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:24 pm

A not too experienced player with hundreds of daily moves can´t play too many good moves and probably makes dozens of daily blunders.
So his/her moves only appear to lose the games intentionally.

I had a look into his/her last won game, of course it´s no GM-style, but I admired the white King´s braveness and mobility - ten King-moves between move 9 and 19 and finally escaped back home!

http://www.net-chess.com/viewgame.cgi?p1=g1104817125

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:27 pm

Bro there is the will to learn and the stupidness not to. I have told her/him to read books and look at the board to which no advice that was given was used.

jpettit

Post by jpettit » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:53 pm

I've noticed, in my limited teaching experience, that beginners have an insatiable habit to play the first move that comes to mind, and if that move is a capture, all the better! Players of this rank play lightning fast and the game is usually decided by earning two or three more queens than the opponent.

The next level is where you know basic tactics, a favourite one being that a knight landing on c7 will fork a King and Rook in most early game positions. Thus the first plan is formed: FORK THE KING!! AT ALL COSTS!! The end play is often very similar to the first.

I find the greatest improvement comes when a player who is playing at stage 2 thinks longer on each move (by longer, I mean 10-15 seconds). Suddenly tactics are visible across the board, and if they have learned a few mating patterns, games start to end in middlegame positions that don't resemble scholar's mate.

Idontknow is a beginner who is somewhere between stage 2 and 3. Judging by her game load, I image one minute is spent on 15 different positions; far from ideal. If she would sit back and think a bit more, even half a minute, I would imagine a marked improvement would result.

Of course, my experience is entirely with youths and teens, so perhaps I'm just way off. :)

Personally, I firmly believe everyone needs to learn chess the way I learned it: from a very serious Russian, played outdoors on a Verranda overlooking a small pond and a not so small forest. The natural beauty triggers endorphins, meaning pleasure, and the Russian means business, signifying seriousness. He wouldn't let me play at stage 1!

And of course, topic creator, we can't start banning players based on ability, or I would not be here!

petemarkou

Post by petemarkou » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:15 am

The problem is.. after almost a year and hundreds of games there is no sign of improvement. I have the theory that she is actually a badly manufactured chess computer

wkowalski

banning idontknow

Post by wkowalski » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:27 am

I fail to understand exactly what idontknow is up to, but there seems to be a personal motive for deliberately losing all these games. I have no idea what it could be, but I know he/she attempted to draw me into a conversation at one point (I played 2 games against him a long time ago) in order to explain why he was losing on purpose. But, I didn't bite, because I had no interest in getting involved. This just proves that it's not just bad play. There is some kind of method to this madness.

Idontknow is repeatedly challenging me and I am ignoring him/her. It is not a computer, and it is not just a bad player. There is something else going on here. S/he is losing on purpose. It's contrary to the whole spirit of chess, and I feel that it is actually disrespectful at this point. It's been going on long enough. These constant invites from him to play (I had ten in my email this morning, and I deleted all of them) are starting to feel like harassment. I second the move to ban idontknow.

petemarkou

Post by petemarkou » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:54 am

The ban is not a solution since she had a different username before and changed it. She will probably return with a different username. My solution is to try to avoid games with her.

phishhead

Games played

Post by phishhead » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:34 pm

If you look at her profile you will see that she is under a thousand games away from making the top ten of games played. This may be the plan.

hamot

Post by hamot » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 am

Sounds like a conspiracy. Perhaps there is a grassy knoll that she lives near.

ajeffries

idontknow

Post by ajeffries » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:07 am

The game slowblunder mentioned was with me. idontknow makes crazy moves all day long but in that game his performance was stellar. I think either it wasn't him or he used an engine. I'm not a great player not really even a good player but I know when I've been had. I'm not sore about losing either but... well maybe I was playing while I was sleep walking or something.

slowblunder

ajeffries

Post by slowblunder » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 am

I don´t agree with your opinion of a "stellar" performance, he/she was just lucky that you overlooked a mate-in-one (17. - Bb4 #). Before that you perfectly chased the white King all over the board and kept on completing your own development simultaneously, but 17. - 0-0-0 was one move too much in order to develop your tokens (not a bad move, but sometimes there´s a better move on the board than just a good one). It is in the nature of chess that you are in danger to lose as soon as you have an overwhelming position and stop taking your opponent seriously - it only works well in nine of ten games (I am still learning that lesson in OTB ...).

In short, this game looks to me like all of their other games - no reason to be suspicious of external help.

Weird games, weird profile, weird everything: As it is known that a lot of internet users change their gender when using a handle, I am especially not sure at all about idontknow´s real gender. So I keep on writing he/she.
I don´t really care about their intention, there are just two problems with him/her:
- he/she keeps on wasting a lot of their opponents´ time
- he/she sometimes doesn´t accept a declined challenge
The first isn´t a great deal because it can be avoided individually after the first experience (even before when checking the challenger´s profile/rating/past games).
I agree that the second problems violates courtesy and covers the fact of harassment. I am sure that the webmaster is able to solve this problem if someone asks him to (wkowalski?).

But as long as idontknow doesn´t violate any net-chess-rules I can´t see anything wrong with him/her working on their intention - it always takes two people to start and play a game of chess.

mic

who knows I Don't know????

Post by mic » Sat May 19, 2007 6:44 am

I agree with the one guy who wrote, ' fail to understand exactly what
Idontknow is repeatedly challenging me and I am ignoring him/her. It is not a computer, and it is not just a bad player. There is something else going on here. S/he is losing on purpose. It's contrary to the whole spirit of chess, and I feel that it is actually disrespectful at this point. It's been going on long enough. These constant invites from him to play (I had ten in my email this morning, and I deleted all of them) are starting to feel like harassment. I second the move to ban idontknow.' I simply ignore him/her...it could be a player from another moniker who loses to him/herself and maybe to just clog up the netchess site...i believe it should be banned from this site. I won't play it. :_
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

rprado

Post by rprado » Sat May 19, 2007 8:46 am

After playing 'I don't Know' in a number of matches I'd also agree there is something not right here. While we have to be careful to distinguish between different levels of competency on this site (I've made some real humdinger blunders myself - to my shame :oops: ) this player makes no attempt at coordinated play. Given the large number of games played by IDK they also show no signs of improvement.

If IDK is reading this I have a few questions:
1. Everyone is entitled to their own degree of privacy but why did you feel the need to put 'DO NOT ASK' in your profile comments in four different fields? Is that to provoke a response from the more easily lead, or are you some kind of new secret species living in Area 51?
2. This is a friendly site with a lot of opportunities to improve your chess, not just by playing, but by making contact with other players, individually or via this message board. You've played 4620 games and lost 4376. That's a lot of games and a lot of losses to remain silent over. Why are there no posts from you?
3. Reading through this perhaps I'm being really unfair - there could be all sorts of good reasons behind why things are as they are. Assuming you read this post you must admit your current behaviour is provking some strong reactions, so why not sort this out with some kind of response - something that would help the user community see you have a genuine interest in chess and just need some help to improve.

Greg - in my opinion if IDK continues her/his/its current behaviour and does not respond to attempts to make contact (Jodie Foster where are you when we need you?) they they should at least be given a 30 day warning - or maybe you can restrict her/him to only play the server!!?
I don't know (no pun intended :D )..ultimately your call how to handle. Regards

ferdyrojo

"idontknow" is a Dr. Greg Miller's creature.

Post by ferdyrojo » Sat May 19, 2007 9:07 pm

I seriously think, after having read ALL previous messages posted regarding the above mentioned player, that "idontknow" is a creature purposefully created by Dr. Miller, since he is a scientist. I think it is something similar to Dr. Frankenstein's creature.

I would appreciate any opinion about this contention.

Good regards, chess nerds! :twisted: :mrgreen:

pawnder

Re: "idontknow" is a Dr. Greg Miller's creature.

Post by pawnder » Sat May 19, 2007 9:24 pm

ferdyrojo wrote:I seriously think, after having read ALL previous messages posted regarding the above mentioned player, that "idontknow" is a creature purposefully created by Dr. Miller, since he is a scientist. I think it is something similar to Dr. Frankenstein's creature.

I would appreciate any opinion about this contention.

Good regards, chess nerds! :twisted: :mrgreen:
I would assume it to rear its ugly head in the form of unuseful mouse clicks. We all do it unwittingly, maybe with the proper background some could save? 100?strokes per day. Im still going at it old-style, and suppose theres "Pinky the Brain" types who maybe could build up or destroy the Internet with 1,000,000,000 extra strokes of the key.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sun May 20, 2007 9:48 am

As far as the challenge e-mails go, I've added the user sending the challenge to the subject of the message. So at least you can set up your e-mail client to automatically delete them without missing challenges from other players.
Greg Miller

imreallylousy

Post by imreallylousy » Sun May 20, 2007 11:42 am

Perhaps idon'tknow is genuinely mentally challenged. If that is the case, perhaps we should cut her/him a little slack. Chess may be of some therapy for the poor soul...

kcollins

seen this before

Post by kcollins » Sun May 20, 2007 12:48 pm

having posted a similar post months ago - it was attacked to the point it was taken from forum = i saw the trouble this was causing other users and thought to myself - so be it - this player is not a chess player as i know it.... - strange that the prob keeps arising - as suggested banning - and this is good idea but as earlier said all player needs to change nickname and start again - i have had my share of invites and not responded and found it worked.... - to show some kind of kindness to other players should be the norm but this is beyond belief..... - idontknow is winning an achievment which i dont understand....... :?:

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun May 20, 2007 2:02 pm

We all have said get rid of her him it whatever it claims to be, why not just not play the game? Don;t accept a challnge or a game it posts. :D

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Sun May 20, 2007 9:36 pm

I just now received this message from Idontknow, and it sounds like she is now off to a different hobby .........

This message is being sent to you from idontknow at
Net-Chess.Com. To reply to this message go to:
http://www.net-chess.com/email.html after you log in.
-----
"hi. sorry to resign all the games. i am not good in the chess and my mom tell me spend time to play is waste and have find for me new hobby is dancing, maybe i am better can try. but i thank you to play me on here."

As difficult as it was at times for her and me to communicate, we did try. I have a soft spot in my heart for any downtrodden souls. I will miss her spunk for the game.
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

mic

who cares about I don't know???? and why??!!!!

Post by mic » Tue May 22, 2007 5:18 am

let her play her games just don't accept challenge...although I would rather play her than those that use a chess program to find their next moves. :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

armonchess

Post by armonchess » Mon May 28, 2007 10:00 pm

I asked idontknow once the reason he/she is playing or better say moving the pieces for no good reason. I didnt get a response. Before this question, I just asked why I am being challenged; response was that it was just a random selection of players and I happened to be the one picked. I think it could be an obsession to be on the "top move players". or could be a long dragging joke or God knows what. I also think we can just avoid the invitations.

and on the comment you made mic about people who use engines, I think of it as a better challenge and dont really mind. I am the one learning more about my weaknesses and would improve. But playing idontknow has no point in it :?

langelli

Post by langelli » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:00 pm

Did you ever consider that idontknow is a child? Give her a break. No need to ban her from the system. Just post your challenges outside her rating.

jrichner

I Don't Know

Post by jrichner » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:12 am

I had just always assumed she was a bot. The moves were quick, automatic. Perhaps completely random.

ferdyrojo

What thing is a 'bot'?

Post by ferdyrojo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi, jrichner!

What do you mean by saying that "idontknow" is a 'bot'? I assume it to be a robot, id est, a chess-playing programme.

In my previous message (19.05.2007), I expressed the possibility that "idontknow" could be an Administrator's creature (whatever its nature) to purposely obey his intentions, so I put that "idontknow" could be a creature of Dr. Miller (the General Administrator of this site). I state this sentence guided only by the awful performance of "idontknow" in this Internet Chess club, namely, Net-Chess.com.

Needless to say that "idontknow" is an erratic username, any way.

Good regards,

Ferdyrojo :!: :?:
Ferdyrojo

brobitelle

Post by brobitelle » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:29 pm

believe me you people, this person knows what they are doing. For some bizarre reason, this person challenges people and makes totally idiotic moves for reasons only known to them. I cannot conceive of the reason other than a total waste of time for people seeking a real game. just ignore whoever this is,

hamot

Locking this topic

Post by hamot » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:03 pm

I am locking this topic, because it is no longer an issue. The user idontknow no longer plays on this site, which has been well established.

Tim