Net-Chess etiquette

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
rprado

Net-Chess etiquette

Post by rprado » Sun May 13, 2007 10:57 am

Hi. I'm interested to know how many folk use the comments box either at the start or the end of a game.
I've read the post re 'GL' (good luck) at the start of a game, and 'GG' (good game) for use either at the start or conclusion of a game, but this went on to point out how 'GG' has been misinterpreted by some players as some kind of insult. Of course some people are always going to be prone to take things the wrong way, but since I can see that 'gg' is an abiguous abbreviation given the international nature of this site I've held off using the comment box. Now I'm wondering if this approach is also coming across as somewhat rude!
So do most folk play with no comment, is GG typical, or are there other customary exchanges on this site (other than with pieces!) that I'm overlooking?

kcollins

comment box

Post by kcollins » Sun May 13, 2007 11:05 am

I always try and greet my opponent with good luck gl or good game gg - often if i don't get a reply i take it as they are really happy with formal greetings and don't wish to communicate - sometimes i assume they are being down right rude - but this then gives me an advantage..... it's a problem with them and not me.... - maybe this is just my logic - generally folk usually are friendly and as this is an entertainment i don't take too serious - the game is game when all said and done - very good discussion point raised - thankyou my friend ;)

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun May 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Youz forgetting not all of them speak english.

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Mon May 14, 2007 2:49 am

rprado wrote:Hi. I'm interested to know how many folk use the comments box either at the start or the end of a game.
Good Discussion Topic Rprado .......! :wink:
And Islanderfan ...... you make a good point about the language difficulties !

I have thought about this often myself and have come to the conclusion that my focus is so much concerned with my opponent's latest move, that I have become too hasty to take the time and tab down the game board page in order to see if any comments are even there. I play at another site where the comment box is located within the upper portion of the game board page and is immediately visible without having to tab the page at all. I'd be willing to bet that some of my opponents probably consider me to be rude because I never bothered to repond to a comment they left, whereas the truth is I never saw their comment.

As a matter of fact, just recently I began trying to use the notepad box at the bottom of the game board page in an attempt to leave notes for myself regarding my game plans. Well guess what ...... half the time I forget to read my own notes :roll:

It's interesting though that at this other site I mentioned where the comment box can be seen without tabing, I chat with most of my opponents so much so, that often I use up all of the alloted space for comments by or before my 8th move.

Anyway ....... since I doubt that this site's game board page will be re-configured just because of my post here, I suppose I'd better get into the habit of checking the comments box ...... :)
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

monstermash

Re: Net-Chess etiquette

Post by monstermash » Tue May 15, 2007 7:59 pm

rprado wrote:Hi. I'm interested to know how many folk use the comments box either at the start or the end of a game.
I've read the post re 'GL' (good luck) at the start of a game, and 'GG' (good game) for use either at the start or conclusion of a game, but this went on to point out how 'GG' has been misinterpreted by some players as some kind of insult. other than with pieces!) that I'm overlooking?

I always wish my opponent good luck,

It's ridiculous to assume that any Player is being insulting for simply wishing his/her opponent good luck at the beginning of a game or at the conclusion of it just wants to say good game/good match thanks for playing me and giving your best for 4-6 months come on you know sportsmanship.

Alec

rprado

Post by rprado » Wed May 16, 2007 5:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and I agree with you MonsterMash in as much as one would hope people would not immediately interpret an abbreviated phrase they were unfamiliar with as something negative. My post was (in part) prompted by reading a much earlier post by rhand, subject: 'unbelievable' which first got me thinking about this topic. That is a specific incident which I'm sure is untypical, and the drive behind my post was to find out how people use the comments box postively during a game.
Islanderfan also reinforces the point I had made about the international nature of the site membership by pointing out English is not necessarily a member's native language. I think I saw a post in 'suggestions' about adding a country flag against the profile. This would be good, but maybe of more use in this context would be an extra field in the profile indicating primary language and other languages spoken. I'm fairly proficient in Spanish and starting to learn German so any opportunity to use this knowledge would be useful. Most people react postively to this kind of thing, even if it is just a few words. Anyway I'll start using the comments box a bit more and perhaps I'll post this idea regarding language sometime soon. Regards.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri May 18, 2007 1:52 pm

Anyway ....... since I doubt that this site's game board page will be re-configured just because of my post here, I suppose I'd better get into the habit of checking the comments box ......
I wasn't aware the commets box wasn't visible at 800x600 resolutions and below. I'm already in the process of making an "even more enhanced" board which resizes to your screen automatically.
Greg Miller

rprado

Post by rprado » Fri May 18, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi Greg, that sounds good. I noticed today (now I'm using the comments box more) that comments are not retained after the move they were exchanged on. Is that the current functionality or did I experience a glitch? It would be great if the comments were retained for a whole game as I think this would support any mentoring activities going on between experienced and inexperienced players.

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Fri May 18, 2007 5:11 pm

I wasn't aware the commets box wasn't visible at 800x600 resolutions and below. I'm already in the process of making an "even more enhanced" board which resizes to your screen automatically.

Greg Miller
Thanks Greg ! ..... :) for being a down-to-earth Administrator that you are and listening to/ and hearing what we say in these here forums. I never thought that you would ever respond to this topic regarding our game board page and the comments box ..... but you did !!!

Saludos To Our Administartor ! ! !
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

jpalasek

Post by jpalasek » Sat May 19, 2007 11:43 pm

I LIKE THE TOPIC RPRADO I ALWAYS SAY GOOD GAME AT THE END OF A MATCH BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT TO SAY AT THE BEGINNING OF A MATCH BECAUSE CHESS IS NOT A GAME OF LUCK TO ME IT IS A AGAME OF SKILL. I THOUGHT OF MAY THE BEST PERSON WIN BUT IT SEEMS RUDE IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS LET ME KNOW

kcollins

game greeting

Post by kcollins » Sun May 20, 2007 7:30 am

i am thinking of luck as a not too literal - understand that the game is skillful and luck is not usually appreciated - like all things it's a matter of choice - as one can't shake hands in greeting - maybe hello, hi etc may be exchanged without inference of luck - good game or other may be used without luck..... - hope this helps :idea:

monstermash

Post by monstermash » Mon May 21, 2007 9:31 pm

rprado wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone, and I agree with you MonsterMash in as much as one would hope people would not immediately interpret an abbreviated phrase they were unfamiliar with as something negative. My post was (in part) prompted by reading a much earlier post by rhand, subject: 'unbelievable' which first got me thinking about this topic. That is a specific incident which I'm sure is untypical, and the drive behind my post was to find out how people use the comments box postively during a g sometime soon. Regards.

I experinced a real incident where a Chess opponent insulted me 3 years, ago on another sight in the third round of a cc tournament I was paired with a 2040 Player ok just before our match starts Mr.2040 from Romania messages me that he had decided that he would not play why? because Mr.2040 claimed he was too good for me and I didn't have a chance against him so he offered a draw and I'm like are you kidding me? I played Chess for 19 years at the time CCCA ICCF, Nost, IECG, IECC I played in 4 60.0 STC Bunch Championship Tournaments online, Quebec Open CC Championship Tournament, Canadian CC Tournament just a little respect please?!

Mr.2040 didn't give me any he refused all further communication and reason so I had to report him what a jerk.

gregorgysi

Post by gregorgysi » Tue May 22, 2007 3:52 am

Maybe you should try to avoid abbreviations.
I know it is a internet common but the comment box is not a chat.
You don't greet you OTB-opponent by saying "gg" or "gl".
I ususally don't answer abbreviations.

If I don't answer "Good lucks" or "Good games" I just missed them, because I play too fast. I have to handle 50-200 games a day, so I have to apologise for sometimes not answering.

shammer

Post by shammer » Tue May 22, 2007 8:03 pm

i often think the same as jpalasek. i know that "good luck" is intended as a friendly greeting but hey, we're not throwing dice here. i'm sure that chess sites are loaded with nerds like me who pick apart the most benign phrases imaginable. so in the interest of friendly interaction i propose that we just say "enjoy" or "good hunting" or "hello" or "have a good game". and when a player wishes us good luck, perhaps accepting the spirit rather than picking it apart would be most sportsmanlike. anyone have a better greeting?

jpalasek

Post by jpalasek » Sat May 26, 2007 11:49 pm

I LIKED WHAT SHAMMER SAID EZPECIALLY THE PART ABOUT AGREEING WITH ME :lol: BUT REALLY I THINK "HELLO HAVE A GOOD GAME" IS A GREAT WAY TO OPEN WILL TRY TO USE IT WHEN I START A GAME BUT LIKE GREGORYSI AM SOMETIMES IN TIME CRUNCH AND PLAYING TOO MANY GAMES AND FORGET TO GREET A PLAYER OR SAY GOOD GAME AT THE END OF A MATCH NOT OUT OF DISRESPECT JUST BEACAUSE IN A HURRY AND APOLOGISE FOR PAST AND FUTURE UNINTENDED SLIGHTS :)