dark knights win (breaking news)

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
pe

dark knights win (breaking news)

Post by pe » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:02 am

in the chess team competition, 3rd group, there is a winner : with the score at 6-0, the winning team is 'the dark knights'.

thanks to Jeff, Amanda, Henry, Robert, Tim and 'mashley' for playing.

one remark to mluka/gmiller :

the competition started july 2003. 'regular' competition ended oct 2004 (1.5 years for 7 rounds). the play offs took ... 2 years (end SF : oct 2005, final : oct 2006).

would it not be better to do away with the play offs, and just have the 'round robin' competition ?

to speed things up, all matches could be started at the same time, could also be forced, as in the net chess tournament. that way we could have a competition within 1 year (now it took 3.5 years).

just an idea...

thanks, Greg and Mike, for hosting everything.

pe

mluka

Post by mluka » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:56 am

I agree that this third season has taken far too long; I take full responsibility for that. Previous seasons have proceeded far more quickly, but this time around I was spending enough time working on the ladders site that I became prone to neglecting my responsibilities with the team competition.
I think that there are a good number of players who would appreciate playing with the format you've suggested. I also think that there are a good number of players for whom having all the matches start at once might be too many games to handle. Also, anytime a player discontinued play during the course of the season would be far more devastating to his/her team's chances than under the current format.
I have been considering implementing a system at ChessClubInternational that will alllow players to create their own seasons with variable settings (such as tournament style, playoffs or no playoffs, players per team, elapsed time between the beginning of subsequent rounds, number of teams, number of groups, number of players per team, number of games per match). While developing the second version of the ladders site, I've been laying down the basic framework to enable this.
However, this is currently third on my to-do list, behind finishing the ladders portion of this new version, and starting the next team competition (be it season 4 or KO tourney 2). The positive aspect of this is that I will be able to consider any suggestions on what else to incorporate into this (eventual) new feature on the teams site. So, let's hear some suggestions!

Mike

hypnoticspecter

Post by hypnoticspecter » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:39 am

MLukas: You mentioned Chess International. Do they have a HP?

mluka

Post by mluka » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:45 pm