Help with coaching

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
mgomdysey

Help with coaching

Post by mgomdysey » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:53 pm

hi i just started as an asst chess coach :) at a middle school and i wanted to see if any of you more experienced players/coaches could give me any tips/suggestions/good coaching books to coach with
thanks to all
mgomdysey
maksim :D

jpettit

Post by jpettit » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:11 pm

My favourite chess book, the one that has improved my game the most, is The Game of Chess, by Seigbert Tarrasch. Yes, it's very old, and my copy is in the old long notation, but it is still a masterpiece.

The best part about it is that it first explains very elementary tactics (the pin) and then builds up the complexity (many pins that lead to a fork). So the book examples can be a 'lesson,' with each new lesson building on the one that comes before it.

Of course, it was written around 1926, so don't make my mistake and rely on it for opening knowledge. :)

amikhlin
Platnum

Post by amikhlin » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:39 am

Aaron Nimzowitz "My System" forever!!! Really good book for both beginners and advanced players.
From other hand, playing chess and teaching to play chess is not one and the same.
Good luck!!!

mgomdysey

Post by mgomdysey » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:37 pm

thanx for the suggestions..ill see if i can find those books..i assume they are still in print? :? ..does anyone have any tips on how to best teach kids middle/high schoolers chess?
thanks
maksim

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:40 pm

I would start by showing all the mating patterns.

langelli

Post by langelli » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:50 am

"Bobby Fisher Teaches Chess" is an excellent book for beginners. Very basic. Teaches pins, forks, and other very basic skills. Consist mostly of diagrams that the beginner can pencil in responses to. My 2 children used it in the beginning, and it greatly increased their skill.