What have happen with Net-Chess?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
gkristiansen

What have happen with Net-Chess?

Post by gkristiansen » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Hello everyone.What have happen With net-chess?nothing?For me it seems so dead and almost the same layout like when i use to be here ten years ago.I dont want to be negative but just remember how mutch life there was on forum before With guys like jjones and mluka and so on.I know about jjones,really sad.Im just post this because i feel time have been still here or even have gone back,a little sad.But ok let me know if there is something i have miss.Maybe i see some of you in this february tourney.regards gkristiansen

joelag

Re: What have happen with Net-Chess?

Post by joelag » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:41 am

gkristiansen wrote:Hello everyone.What have happen With net-chess?nothing?For me it seems so dead and almost the same layout like when i use to be here ten years ago.I dont want to be negative but just remember how mutch life there was on forum before With guys like jjones and mluka and so on.I know about jjones,really sad.Im just post this because i feel time have been still here or even have gone back,a little sad.But ok let me know if there is something i have miss.Maybe i see some of you in this february tourney.regards gkristiansen
Are you criticising the biggest plus of Net-Chess? Net-Chess is the most stable and reliable CC site that I know of! And I'd like it to stay exactly like that. Thanx Greg!

Well ... and the forum? It's up to you to start interesting discussions ... but I have to admit: I rather play chess than write about chess. (Argh! I'm short of games - that's why I'm writing ... but I don't want to start new games before the 2014-tournament starts.)

jpettit

Post by jpettit » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 am

Net-Chess is the Narnia of the chess-Internet. Whereas time marches on and new chess sites rise and fall like the sun (as redketchuplover carefully chronicles in the one forum), Net-Chess is always here, always the same, always ready for a game. I've played off-and-on since near the beginning, and the timelessness of this site is a plus, like coming home after a long journey.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:34 pm

Hey all!

I think the original post was meant to talk about the number and quality of posts!
I have seen the older forums and there was MUCH more life in them!

yes, Jeff and Luka did more and other people also talked allot more, I also tired, with games, chess stories and such, but no one ever seemed to care and reply!
I finally gave up, so I agree this newer forum is NOT near as active or fun as any of the old days were!
What to do about it, good question?

As said, I TIRED but maybe someone else can stimulate some conversation, I sure have fussed, moaned groaned and dedicated articles to try and kick start things; but no one seems to care...well scratch no one I DID get 4 replies at the most to all the games and other posts I made so lets say 90% fail...
:( Its kind of sad, that people cant take time to enjoy the forums as they did in years past!

Im sure my uncle Jeff would be very disappointed as I am, but maybe people change, time changes?!?

Joshua

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Some sites don't have a forum.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:24 pm

ummmm ok?
So we have 1 and its rarely used?!?!

langelli

Post by langelli » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:51 pm

I've been playing here for 10 years, and I would rather have this type of forum than when players were bickering, complaining, and ranting and raving over some pretty petty things. I would like to see more participation, but give me this over the old days. :)

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi everyone. Hope you all are doing well. Been away from chess for a bit & will probably continue to be a bit longer, due to RL issues. Still love the game though. Also love this site & look forward to the day when hopefully I can kick back & spend time receiving some educational butt-whoopin's from you all. :D

Still peek into the forums on occasion to see what's going on & in regards to this thread I have to agree with langelli. So many public forums these days are full of almost nothing but trash-talk, flaming, drama, trolling, random jerks being asses for "lulz" & all that other assorted garbage. Who wants to sift through a ton of manure to find one small item of value? Here you have a free site, filled with chess lovers who are always up for a game & while the forums may be quieter than many, they also generally lack all the junk I mentioned above. What you do find is almost always actually worth reading, even if many usually don't comment (I'm usually guilty of that myself). Unless there's been a huge drop-off in players I'm unaware of, I'd say Net-Chess is fine & healthy...just kinda silent & not overly chatty on the forums.

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:15 pm

Ugh! I am SO pissed off & frustrated that no one has responded to my response yet! :evil: Oh the rage! What the hell is wrong with you people? Is this site dead or or something...Oh wait a minute...just remembered this is the kinda silent & not overly chatty forum...nevermind... :D :lol:

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:09 am

another site does not allow forum posts before you have finished 10 games and been there 30 days

gcohen

Post by gcohen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Three observations:
1-Maybe a lot of players here don't even bother to look into the forum.
Many of them are taciturn, don't respond to greetings, and obviously
take it very badly when losing.
2-Lifeless, it is.
I posted 2 questions about some variations, asking for some help from
some stronger playerswho may possess advanced Opening materials, and got nada in response.
3- cmulligan is right: better quiet than the kind of
sophomoric and incessant drivel one encounters
on chess.com, for instance.

energy

Post by energy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:22 pm

gcohen wrote: I posted 2 questions about some variations, asking for some help from
some stronger playerswho may possess advanced Opening materials, and got nada in response.
Can't find them. Are you sure you asked in these forums?
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

gcohen

Post by gcohen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:14 pm

Not having received any answer, I deleted them after a while.