2014 Site Championship

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
davidswhite
Uranium

2014 Site Championship

Post by davidswhite » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:34 pm

For the 1st time since I joined Net-Chess nearly 15 years ago I feel compelled to resign my games. Believe me,I tried to continue but my 70th year has not been kind to me
physically and I've found it impossible recently to devote the necessary time to concentrate on chess.I think that smoking for over 54 years(Ifinally quit 13 months ago) and sitting behind the same desk for 48 years in my business has taken a severe toll on me.

I'm in the process of closing my business(which my father began in 1923)and whatever time I have left seems to be totally taken up by one doctor's appointment after another. Atherosclerosis( heart disease), type 2 diabetes,osteoporosis of each knee and 5 days ago edema from my ankles to my toes. The docs sure have their hands full.

Now,if only I can play golf and chess again one day,I will be tickled pink and you'll all have to deal with me again on the chessboard.I'll miss badly all the games and conversations I've had over the years with Michael Klengel,Michael Luka and so many others that I can't imagine that I'm done with chess...god forbid.

Cliff, I would have loved to play a part in the 5th(and last) Zapper tournament...he was a very special person whom I'll miss as long as I live.

Fellows,I'm sorry for turning out to be such a wuss but I think that,if you know me,you''ll know how hard a decision this was for me.

All my very bestest,
David White

redketchuplover

Re: 2014 Site Championship

Post by redketchuplover » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:13 am

Best wishes going forward

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:53 am

I was incorrect when I posted that I'd never before resigned a game at Net-Chess.In 15 years I resigned over 30 games because my position was hopeless.

All I can with certainty claim is that I've never timed out a game,which is a far smaller accomplishment.

Regards,
David

energy

Post by energy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:59 am

davidswhite wrote: Fellows,I'm sorry for turning out to be such a wuss but I think that,if you know me,you''ll know how hard a decision this was for me.

All my very bestest,
David White
Hi David, I think you made the right decision. It should be fun to play, not a burden. I have myself scaled down because of time issues, so I know what I'm talking about!

I'm crossing my fingers for your full recovery! You can alwyas reach me here, even if you lost my email. Don't hesitate to send me a message, I am (again) in NY for the next few month(s).

Nils "less-and-less-energy" Grotnes :wink:

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Sorry to hear David, home you can come back soon!
Greg Miller

joelag

Post by joelag » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:00 am

Oh! I didn't check the forum for some time.

David, play it easy and relax. I hope you see better days soon!

cliff

Post by cliff » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:00 pm

I should have said something long before this, David, but you know how it is, my friend...

Anyway, I want to wish you all the best, David.

Take care of yourself, and I hope all goes well for you.

You're something of a legend here, and it's sad to see you leave, but under the circumstances, I think you've made the right decision.

All my very best wishes for the future, David.

- Cliff Dwyer.