Kind of sad

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
cmulligan

Kind of sad

Post by cmulligan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 am

Hello everyone. As I've mentioned before; I'm not playing much chess lately. Just have 2 games going that I haven't finished yet from when I decided I needed a break. Still poke my head in the forums on a pretty regular basis to see how things are going though. I'm not trying to start anything or attack/defend anyone but I have to say, It's kind of depressing to see how toxic the forum environment has gotten lately.

I can totally understand folks disagreeing or having conflicting personalities, but it seems to me that airing it out in public often just intensifies any ill feelings & can drag down the community as a whole. By all means,say something if it seems a mistake is being made. Just try to keep things calm please. If you don't feel events are being run fairly & you can't resolve it,then don't participate. They are supposed to be fun. There's no money on the line. No national ranking or titles. No prestige outside of any accumulated within this small community. If you're not having fun,don't participate. There's nothing stopping you from setting up & still playing fun,private matches as much as you like. There's still plenty of great folks & great players here to play & associate with. Please don't let the forums fill up with discontent that is more likely to just upset folks than to accomplish any positive goals. I also really don't want to see anyone leaving/getting banned or the site just shutting down because of forum drama. Would really love for all the great folks & great players to still be here when I decide I'd like to play some more. Thanks for taking the time to read all this. Hope no one took any of it poorly or personally. Only want everyone to have a good time & great games. :)

davidswhite
Uranium

Re: Kind of sad

Post by davidswhite » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Chris,

I agree with everything you wrote(even the part about needing a break from chess).
This month is my 13th anniversary on Net-Chess,same as Mike Luka and a host of others,and a million times over I couldn't express my gratitude enough to Greg for providing me a place to exercise my love of chess within a community of people so generally likeable and competent at the game.At the same time it's afforded me a truly critical sanctuary where I could go to,at least temporarily,distract myself from the personal grief engulfing me at different times from the loss of my mother in 1999,my Maltese (Sammy in 2006,who'd been constantly with me for over 14 years) and then,most crushingly,my 27
year old son,Patrick,in 2008.
I mention all this now,none of which I've ever before confided in even my closest Net-Chess friends,because of the outrageous and inexplicable to me, torrent of regular abuse shovelled on Greg continuously for 6 months or so by the same few posters because of a single intervention he made as administrator against which they profoundly disagreed.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
Greg will not ,it seems,delete these abusive posts directed at him,presumably because he doesn't wish to seem dictatorial or because he's too big to let it bother him.Well,I'm not so big about it and every insult hurled at him on this forum over this matter is painful to me because of its egregious disregard of all the good which he's made possible for us through all these years.
I consider it high time for any Net-Chess members who might share my feelings on this to weigh in on this forum accordingly and in very clear terms DEMAND THAT GREG BE GIVEN THE CONSIDERATION TO WHICH HE'S SO RICHLY ENTITLED and return this forum to the civility to which it was previously accustumed.

David

P.S.I still have no power at home and am living out of The New Yorker Hotel.

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:07 pm

Thank you for your input & I would also like to express my deepest sympathy for your losses. I do appreciate you responding to this & hope the high regard you have earned here on Net-Chess will give folks cause to stop & think. This site is totally free & meant entirely for entertainment. We shouldn't let the occasional, inevitable mistake or disagreement ruin that.

p.s. On a side note,I hope you & everyone else impacted by Sandy get squared away soon.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:11 am

Dave and Chris I agree somewhat. Yes it is a free site. It is Greg's not mine, I get it. BUT when Greg makes/made a stupid . choice and then when he was called out on it, stating to the person something to the effect " I don't answer stupid questions cause you are stupid" then what do you think the reaction will be? Greg himself and only himself is to blame. I, as does everyone else, has a freedom to speak and voice an opinion. For him to then state to people that they are stupid, what do you think the reaction will be?

Dave am sorry for your losses, as well as you know mine. Let alone freakin mother nature decides to kick us in the nuts while we are down doesn't help. But Dave when it comes to Greg tournament or maybe himself, we don't share the same thought. And that's fine it's a good discussion. I also find it very odd that Greg has banned someone but let someone who shouldn't have moved on in a tournament, move on.Dave you moved on from Round 1 Hanz also, Horisto did not. Horisto fared a hell of a lot better than Munbehend, Greg's "friend". So with Greg's logic on advancing Munbehend cause "He played better", Horisto should have also moved on and he probably played better than Munbehend.
He is a TD is he not? In his list of rules does it say he can "JUST PICK SOMEONE TO ADVANCE TO THE NEXT ROUND CAUSE I SAY SO"? If it does or doesn't can you show me or prove to me how that is not a slap in the face of people who play on here or joined the tournament?Had you or Hanz NOT gone on to Round 2,there would have been more of an uproar more than what Sorim did, and you probably would have been speaking out about Greg's choice more than I am; and he may have taken notice. Sorry Dave, Greg has his favorites and you won't wavier me from that.

energy

Post by energy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:29 pm

islanderfan wrote:Dave and Chris I agree somewhat. Yes it is a free site. It is Greg's not mine, I get it. BUT when Greg makes/made a stupid . choice and then when he was called out on it, stating to the person something to the effect " I don't answer stupid questions cause you are stupid" then what do you think the reaction will be? Greg himself and only himself is to blame. I, as does everyone else, has a freedom to speak and voice an opinion. For him to then state to people that they are stupid, what do you think the reaction will be?
Brian, Brian, Brian... He didn't call you "stupid", he called your question stupid.

For Dave; As you, I support Greg 100% on this. Brian has however always been a loudmouth, so there's no real change of tone here. All that has changed now is that this time Brian is the crybaby...
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks. I've never had it as a goal to make every single person happy, a couple of squeaky wheels don't bother me.
Greg Miller

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:10 am

Yes! I have made it to crybaby and the squeaky wheel! Sweetness! Nothing like being called names from the LAMBDA LAMBDA LAMBDA clan! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hamot

Post by hamot » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:27 pm

davidswhite wrote:Chris,

I agree with everything you wrote(even the part about needing a break from chess).
This month is my 13th anniversary on Net-Chess,same as Mike Luka and a host of others,and a million times over I couldn't express my gratitude enough to Greg for providing me a place to exercise my love of chess within a community of people so generally likeable and competent at the game.At the same time it's afforded me a truly critical sanctuary where I could go to,at least temporarily,distract myself from the personal grief engulfing me at different times from the loss of my mother in 1999,my Maltese (Sammy in 2006,who'd been constantly with me for over 14 years) and then,most crushingly,my 27
year old son,Patrick,in 2008.
I mention all this now,none of which I've ever before confided in even my closest Net-Chess friends,because of the outrageous and inexplicable to me, torrent of regular abuse shovelled on Greg continuously for 6 months or so by the same few posters because of a single intervention he made as administrator against which they profoundly disagreed.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
Greg will not ,it seems,delete these abusive posts directed at him,presumably because he doesn't wish to seem dictatorial or because he's too big to let it bother him.Well,I'm not so big about it and every insult hurled at him on this forum over this matter is painful to me because of its egregious disregard of all the good which he's made possible for us through all these years.
I consider it high time for any Net-Chess members who might share my feelings on this to weigh in on this forum accordingly and in very clear terms DEMAND THAT GREG BE GIVEN THE CONSIDERATION TO WHICH HE'S SO RICHLY ENTITLED and return this forum to the civility to which it was previously accustumed.

David

P.S.I still have no power at home and am living out of The New Yorker Hotel.
I am in agreement, David. I think it is high time that the members of this forum show each other respect. Having a disagreement is one thing. Being disrespectful towards each other is quite another. I, for one, am not afraid to remove posts that show disrespect to others on this forum.

~Tim

cleenders

Post by cleenders » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:27 pm

I find the squabbling between a NewYorker and a Torontian rather funny.

My answer is simple: I donate €100 to sustain this site.
Good luck Greg,

Chris