Vacation time

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.

Would you like to see this implemented?

1 (Certianly)
38%
10%
10%
7%
14%
No votes
7%
7%
No votes
10 (Certainly Not)
7%

Total votes: 29

gmiller
Site Admin

Vacation time

Post by gmiller » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:27 pm

Would you like to be able to pause your clock for x number of days per year in order to allow for vacation time?

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:20 am

this depends on if the total time is fixed or not, doesn't it.
Doh not using Mouse gestures ?

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:10 am

This isn't dependent on whether or not a maxiumum time is implemented, it's still possible to time out while on vacation under the normal time controls.

The way I'm thinking of doing this is to give everyone, say, 30 days in January and people will be able to say add x number of days to all of my games. So if you have 100 games going, and want to add one day to each of them, you're vacation time goes down by 1 day. So there won't necessarily be a "vacation flag" which pauses your clocks until you return.

wbartier

Post by wbartier » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:26 pm

Since I'm a member, I went 3 times on vacation. And I didn't had any problem with timeout, because I had days enough. I only wait for starting new games until I'm back from holidays, so I have days enough for a new holiday.

See Ye
Wieland

xmate

Post by xmate » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:25 pm

I think this idea is related to my post "Time Limits". Most games are played with a time limit of 30 days plus 2 days added per move. With such a time limit there is no need to suspend games or add extra time when you go on holidays. Most holidays are for two weeks with 30 days plus you can go on holidays for two weeks or even four and still get back in time to make a move. Also when on holidays I usually find an internet cafe and make moves anyway. I'm sure other people do the same.

The only reason I can see for needing to implement extra time or suspension of games for holidays is if the time limits were per move as I have suggested in my post.

slowblunder

I like this idea because ...

Post by slowblunder » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:57 am

... a game with 30d+2d time limit means for me that I have 2 days per normal move plus additional 30 days in total for critical moves - of course "easy" moves are done within minutes, but depending on your internet abilities and your opponent´s timezone your answer can take about a day as well.

In real life there are sometimes issues more important than chess (holidays, work-load, moving house, examinations, health-issues or other things which can´t be planned properly). I would appreciate to have a chance to stop the clock running for about two weeks and still have this saved fraction of the 30 days for the complicated positions.

On the other hand this gives additional chances to prolong a lost game - from time to time someone starts a thread about this. I don´t care about that, I am happy to keep a won position for another two weeks.
But maybe it should be implemented that a player with a "vacation flag on" can only submit moves until the vacation time is over or until he turns if off (with ALL these vacation days being used!).

By the way: I tried to vote for this poll, but I couldn´t find out how. Can someone give me a hint?

mluka

Post by mluka » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:17 pm

I tried to vote for this poll, but I couldn´t find out how. Can someone give me a hint?
The poll may have expired, or you may have already voted.

neilb

Post by neilb » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:31 am

mluka wrote:
I tried to vote for this poll, but I couldn´t find out how. Can someone give me a hint?
The poll may have expired, or you may have already voted.
I also wasn't allowed to vote on two polls after I voted on one other.

indigo

vacation time

Post by indigo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:05 pm

Dear gmiller,
This is my first day on your site. I havent even started a game yet. I first went to check out how "vacation" time worked on your site. Vacation time is absolutely essential. I intend to play games that will last about a year. I would lose them all if I were not allowed vacation time. Vacation time is a basic idea in civilized corr chess. I think your idea of 30 days is fair. There is another website which gives 35. The more the better as far as I am concerned. Corr chess is supposed to be slow. I am going to start a game now.