Support for XFCC

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.

How important are these features to you? 1 Being most important

10%
No votes
5%
5%
10%
5%
14%
19%
No votes
33%

Total votes: 21

gmiller
Site Admin

Support for XFCC

Post by gmiller » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:52 pm

XFCC is a new standard for web based correspondence chess. It will allow you to use any number of available chess clients rather than making your moves through a web browser.

Information on XFCC can be found at http://www.xfcc.org/.

valverde

Re: Support for XFCC

Post by valverde » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi, any plans to support Xfcc?
gmiller wrote:XFCC is a new standard for web based correspondence chess. It will allow you to use any number of available chess clients rather than making your moves through a web browser.

Information on XFCC can be found at http://www.xfcc.org/.

dorisia

Post by dorisia » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:29 pm

Some thoughts:

- If this new feature is not going to replace the current web interface, I have nothing against it. However, I like the current web interface and will continue using it exclusively.

- A possible benefit for this site (slowchess) is, that it might attract new players; but if this site becomes too popular, will it still be free?

- I noticed that currently only one Xfcc client exists, and a very new one at that (several bugs being fixed during the past few days); this client is shareware and not for free.

- A possible danger with such (future) clients is, that they may contain spyware and/or adware; definitely not something I want on my machine.

- I vote 5 (neutral).

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:00 pm

It wouldn't replace the current site, just add another method of getting to it. Even though there's only one (maybe a couple more) clients available now, more will come in the future as long as websites support it. It usually takes a year or two for things like this to become mainstream.

It's fairly easy to implement, so I'll probably do it eventually.

raimondi

Post by raimondi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:58 pm

dorisia wrote:Some thoughts:

- I noticed that currently only one Xfcc client exists, and a very new one at that (several bugs being fixed during the past few days); this client is shareware and not for free.

- A possible danger with such (future) clients is, that they may contain spyware and/or adware; definitely not something I want on my machine.

- I vote 5 (neutral).
Scid also supports Xfcc, it's free, open source and it's been around for many years, so you don't have to worry about spyware or cousins ;)

It's a great chess database, give it a try:

http://scid.sf.net

Israel

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:50 pm

I'm kind of an 'old stick in the mud' type, I guess.

(Heck, I stuck with WINDOWS 98 till about 2003!) :lol:

I like the current interface, and doubt I'd switch. I voted 7, but as long as I still had the option of using the current set-up, it really wouldn't bother me at all.

joelag

PGN is a Fine Standard!

Post by joelag » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:35 pm

As far as I'm concerned I haven't any need for it at all. I was thinking the hype about converting anything into XML would already be abating.

Since Net-Chess perfectly supports PGN (at least after I hinted Greg to avoid the zeroes for castling about 2 years ago :D ) which is a standard which is understood by any client:
I need XFCC as much as tooth ache!

Edit:
OK ... on a second guess: If there will be enough decent open source clients for XFCC it could be a clever idea for the future (let's say in 3 years).

Well Greg, if you have the spare time left then implement it as an option.