Changes for mobile devices

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.
cborri

Changes for mobile devices

Post by cborri » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:14 am

It's not just mobile devices that will look ugly for awhile. The main page now looks pretty ugly on desktops. Is that going to continue?

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: Changes for mobile devices

Post by gmiller » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Depends, what do you consider ugly about it? I don't plan on any drastic changes soon.
Greg Miller

cborri

Post by cborri » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:08 am

Well, for one thing all the menu bars are now on the left hand side of the page, and the welcome back and announcement sections are in the middle with huge amounts of white space above and below. The left side menu showing games, login, profile, etc. is invisible unless you hover over it. That seems pretty ugly.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:26 am

What browser are you using, and version? It's not supposed to look like that.
Greg Miller

joelag

Post by joelag » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:56 pm

Well ... I can't scold Greg because he gives us this great chess site for free - and he upholds this service since ages (in today's short-lived times).

But I have to second cborri. On my Windows 7 / Firefox 46.01 the home page doesn't look pretty anymore. All content is squeezed into the middle. But alas - my screen is by far more broad than high. But ok, I guess I will adapt to the look - or even more probable just ignore it.

Greg, but it seems you made one change of which I'm not sure if this was intended. When listing finished games you no longer see the "Dismiss"-link, but only a small "X" - well, I'm a short-sighted old man - it took some effort to hit this small "X" with my mouse pointer.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:29 am

The 'X' "should" be at least as big as check boxes on other forms on other sites. And the only changes in the main screen "should" be that there's less whitespace between the main content and right sidebar, the main content is a little bit narrower (e.g. "dismiss" replaced with 'X', years removed from dates, etc), and all of the content is centered rather than left justified. If you're seeing something different, please attach a screenshot. I've tested in every major browser I can think of, and they look as I expected them to.
Greg Miller

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:33 am

This is how things should look:
Attachments
netchess-screenshot-big.png
netchess-screenshot-big.png (246.47 KiB) Viewed 24013 times
Greg Miller

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:34 am

And the "small screen" version:
Attachments
netchess-screenshot-small.png
netchess-screenshot-small.png (93.03 KiB) Viewed 24013 times
netchess-screenshot-small.png
netchess-screenshot-small.png (93.03 KiB) Viewed 24013 times
Greg Miller

joelag

Post by joelag » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:14 am

I see - it has been intended by you this way. Ok - on a second thought it seems reasonable to consider mobile devices. Great work :wink: . Dinosaurs like me just have to adapt or become extinct. (Ah, I'm not sooo dinosaur, you know? I'm even using my smart phone excessively ... but never to play chess. That I only do with the proper calm and concentrated atmosphere on a real PC in my home office)

Understanding that the crowding in the middle is as intended I just want to propose the consideration of 2 small issues:

1. As can be seen on Greg's screen shot the X for the finished games is about a third smaller than the X for followed games. The X for the finished games is really quite small - could you give it the same size?
2. Why is the Announcement box centered? It may be ok if you are following 10 games. But for me (with no followed and no finished game) it still looks ugly (the left side active games box and the centered Announcement box directly in the middle of my screen).
Attachments
netchess.png
Home page without followed or finished game.
netchess.png (128.21 KiB) Viewed 24005 times

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:12 am

The 'X' is actually the same size for each, the difference is I used the word "Del" in the followed games header that makes the table cell bigger, but the place you click is exactly the same size. I do plan on replacing it with something else (don't know what yet), but I can't see making it bigger. The announcements have always been centered, but agreed that it doesn't look right with just a few things on the screen.
Greg Miller