How about a 'Grand Opening'

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.
ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

How about a 'Grand Opening'

Post by ecperreault » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Deleted. Already discussed.
Last edited by ecperreault on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

islanderfan

Re: How about a 'Grand Opening'

Post by islanderfan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:19 am

Been brought up Eugene, Greg seems unwilling to change anything. No biggie to me, it's his site + it's free. But you get what you pay for ie monajimenez and cornstalk.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Oh. Well, then I shall erase my thoughts about that idea.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 pm

What am I unwilling to change?
Greg Miller

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:00 pm

I wrote a couple of paragraphs of thing which I thought would go a long way towards 'modernizing' this fine site.
Also options which might be added to aid in the FEEs for more options which most all sites have. I am pretty sure you are aware of the options.
My personal favorite is an active database of games played on the site which is usable as an opening database.
My second favorite is the 'continuance' or 'and if' move entry which enters your reply instantly to your opponent's move if they select the move you expected them to play and you had added your reply to it... etc, etc as long as they follow the line you expect (hope) them to play.
Should you ever consider updating this fine site - and I am still around and able to - I would enjoy helping with the graphics.
... and a lot of other things.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Maybe a change in the color scheme ...
Just a suggestion...

energy

Post by energy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:06 am

+1 (I like it!)
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:00 am

Scrollbars at the side would allow for an extended site.
I only scribbled it at 800x600, so a standard monitor of 1024x768 would allow alot of 'breathing' room.
Not asking for the world for free... just 'spiff' the site up a bit.
Maybe add a couple features for free like a simple 32x32 Icon of your own choice you upload to be placed by your name.
How about adding a couple features for a $ Membership Fee $
Then unveil the new look !!!

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 am

Looks pretty good, though as a UofL fan, I am violent towards the color Blue. I used to do a puzzle of the day, but the main issue with those is having a good supply of non-copyrighted problems, so if anyone has a source I'll happily add it back. The layout could sure use an overhaul like that, and an update to the color scheme. Something that's been on the to do list a long time is an update to the game screen, so that it resizes automatically to the size of your browser window, has drag and drop move entry, and actually validates the move you're making is what you see on the screen.

I don't really have a need to make people pay, the cost of running the site is somewhere around $800-$900, and donations help to cut that about in half. I'm not the richest person in the world, but this is one of my less expensive hobbies.
Greg Miller

krambambuli

Post by krambambuli » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 am

Code: Select all

having a good supply of non-copyrighted problems, so if anyone has a source I'll happily add it back. 
As a matter of fact I've got thousands of those. There are positions stemming from master games played in the past without any comments nor annotations and could therefore be published without copyright violation. There are
Combinations with mating attack
Combinations to reach the draw
Combinations leading to material advantage
All the other combinations
Endings
Those diagrams could be published here in the forum as multiple choice problems which could be done by me. The only contribution of the former annotator I would refer to is the simple sign like -+ + or +-. This is not protected by any copyright. Only comments or annotations would be. There's no copyright for games or positions However if we publish diagrams including the multiple choice questions then this would be our own copyright.

Of course editing and adaptation would be a little bit time-consuming which would be my contribution to your site.
I imagine the following procedure:
The solutions will be of different level of difficulty following the ratings here on netchess
I will take care that no solution could be given by engine misuse, engines don't give explanations
The solution will be published 3 or 4 days (or a week) after the diagram (problem) has been published
The contribution of each user participating in this kind of contest will be hidden until the final solution will be given
If ever I am not sure at 100% that my judgement concerning the evaluation of the position is correct or not I will ask my friend David or any other high rated person. However as IM for Correspondence Chess and a rating over 2400 ELO I believe that my experience is be quite reliable
So together with Nils suggestion I think that we could hence upgrade and enhance this site for the actual and any future users.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:25 pm

still waiting for you to accept the challenge krambulli!

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Well, the color is of no matter really.
It's just that the site could use some freshening up.
How about putting a color scheme up for a vote?
I think what I am saying is... let's see some results, Greg.
I think there are some talented people at your site who are willing to help if you need it.
I can't help thinking that it might attract more players.
I would strongly back the idea of the addition of more 'Advanced' features.
Maybe a multiple-choice poll of misc features to get an idea of what's needed/wanted.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, I guess Brian was right.
I shall leave this idea alone.

energy

Post by energy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Depending on what browser you use, you can change the look of any website you like - for yourself at least.
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:47 am

I do plan on making some of those changes, just haven't had time to.
Greg Miller