Analyzing mode shared!

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.

Would you use a tool for commenting on a finished game live?

1: Never!
10%
2: Pah...
No votes
3: Meh...
No votes
4: Well...
No votes
5: Maybe?
10%
6: Hmmm...!
No votes
7: Yes. I think?
10%
8: Likely.
20%
9: Certainly!
No votes
10: Hell, yes!!
50%

Total votes: 10

energy

Analyzing mode shared!

Post by energy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:53 pm

I had a request from another player for some help with his game. Looking around for useful solutions, I couldn't really find many good ones. There's a very inventive chess pastebin, and there's of course some possibilities at ICC and FICS.

What I'd really like though, is something much like the normal analyzing mode for games here at Net-Chess, a simple web interface where the "owner" of the board gets to move the pieces back and forth, only shared. We can "follow" a regular game right now, but not with only one person moving. For it to be useful, comments from the person moving the pieces would have to be shared, as a minimum. Comments from the people following would be a big help of course. As a minimum, you'd have to have some way to see if someone is following at all...

Maybe tie it into the "challenge" system as well, so we could regulate who get to join. That way it could be open for all, or just one-on-one.

Here's hoping Greg loves the idea, AND the code is malleable enough to make it a doable project. (If you do this Greg, I'll comment any and all of your games that you ask me to. From now until I'm forever gone!) :shock:

Nils "energy" Grotnes

jpettit

Re: Analyzing mode shared!

Post by jpettit » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm not sure I completely follow. Are you suggesting:

a) When a game is finished, players can go back and add comments and variations in a correspondence-style post mortem? These comments could either be private, restricted to the two individuals, or public for all to see.

or

b) MrX, a high-rated player, has complete control of the board. He can set up any position he wants, and he can add comments to various moves along the way. Other people can 'follow' this board and ask questions or post comments along the way, which MrX (or anyone else) can answer.

Either way, I would be in favour of some sort of post mortem interface, since the only current way to do it is sharing emails via PGN notation, which is somewhat clunky when you have one-sentence questions (ie, Why was Nd5 better than what I played?).

energy

Post by energy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:23 pm

jpettit wrote:I'm not sure I completely follow. Are you suggesting:

a) When a game is finished, players can go back and add comments and variations in a correspondence-style post mortem? These comments could either be private, restricted to the two individuals, or public for all to see.
No. I think many online places, including this forum, already have functionality for those kind of post mortems.
jpettit wrote: or

b) MrX, a high-rated player, has complete control of the board. He can set up any position he wants, and he can add comments to various moves along the way. Other people can 'follow' this board and ask questions or post comments along the way, which MrX (or anyone else) can answer.
Yes! Though anyone can be MrX of course, no matter what level.
jpettit wrote: Either way, I would be in favour of some sort of post mortem interface, since the only current way to do it is sharing emails via PGN notation, which is somewhat clunky when you have one-sentence questions (ie, Why was Nd5 better than what I played?).
Exactly. It's the person to person interaction part that I haven't found everywhere else. The few places I linked to all have serious shortcomings.
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:43 pm

I have considered this, just wasn't sure how many people would use it. I'd just hate to spend a lot of time on it, and it rarely ever get used.
Greg Miller

energy

Post by energy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:06 pm

gmiller wrote:I have considered this, just wasn't sure how many people would use it. I'd just hate to spend a lot of time on it, and it rarely ever get used.
Well, now you have a promise that I would use it every time you wanted a game looked at... :wink:

The only problem might be you'd get too many users, if I'm right and it is something you can't really find anywhere else on the net!
Nils

--

energy

Post by energy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:30 am

energy wrote:if I'm right and it is something you can't really find anywhere else on the net!
I have found that chess.com has this ability. But...
chess.com FAQ wrote: However, if you wish to participate as a student in a coach’s online lessons, you will need to be a Platinum or Diamond member to access the premium version of Live Chess and to interact with the live Analysis/Teaching boards there.
So not only will I have to pay a minimum of $50 per year, but so will everyone I like to help!

That makes sense for regular paid-for coaching, but is useless for friendly chats about a couple of games. So my claim still stands, I have yet to find this kind of functionality anywhere on the net in an easily usable form.
Nils

--