Rating

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.
lsanchez

Rating

Post by lsanchez » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

After playing here for several years, I just made it to a GM rating.....
No way, Jose!
This is too high.
I think that the administrator need to adjust the rating of everyone to something meaningfull.
I am not a GM.
I might be good in these pool of players, but GM?
Impossible. Impossible.
I'd better go back to my chess study.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:43 pm

You can't compare your rating here to FIDE or USCF or any other rating, it only applies to how good you are compared to other net-chess players.

Here's a post I did a little while ago measuring the accuracy of the ratings here: http://www.net-chess.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1638
Greg Miller

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:25 pm

I was confused at first here too, Luis! I thought a 25-year layoff had suddenly made me a superstar! When I finally figured that it was a relative strength, and ratings here and FIDE ratings were really apples and oranges, it made sense then.

And the performance curve Greg mentioned shows the amazing accuracy of them! Perhaps better than FIDE's!

And if you want to see where you are in the top 2000 you can check
http://net-chess.com/ratinglist.cgi to get an idea. Many of the players there may be inactive, but you get the idea anyway.

- Cliff

:)

leochessnut

Re: Rating

Post by leochessnut » Sat May 21, 2016 1:16 pm

This is an old post but I would like to know more how this rating system calculates?

How or why can my rating increase by 800 points after 1 win? (First win) And, How can I loose 100 points after winning 4 games in a row? I dont believe anybody playing chess is not watching there rating! :) How else would you know if you are improving? I play Club chess and ELO rating is a big deal!

I have a 1690 rating but here I've had 2637. Maybe the system needs to be looked at.

Regards
Adrian

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sat May 21, 2016 11:51 pm

It uses the Elo system which is pretty much the same used everywhere else. The provisional rating period (up until your 20th game) is based on the average of rating of all of your opponents, and your winning percentage. E.g. If you draw against a 1500 player, your rating will be 1500, if you beat or loose against that player your rating would be either 1900 or 1100. If you loose against a 1500 player, your rating will be 1100, then if you loose against a 2000 player the average rating of all of your opponents goes up to 1750, so your rating would be 1350. You don't see this in many organizations because they usually don't give you a rating at all until after you've played a few games. Once you get a combination of wins and losses and have played enough games that the average stabilizes, it won't be so erratic. And after your 20th game your rating uses the established rating system, so it can only change +/- 40 points in a game.
Greg Miller

leochessnut

Post by leochessnut » Sun May 22, 2016 5:57 pm

Thanks Greg. I'll try not to look at my ratings until after 20 games! :)