Team Chess

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.
iamachessstudent

Team Chess

Post by iamachessstudent » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:57 pm

I was wondering if there were any plans to set up a Team Competiton on this site?!
I know it already has allot and some nice features, but Id be interested in setting up a Team Competition... competing on board, 5 members deep...
We could have a season from point a to point b and the winners get the recognition we all like!

Any thoughts or is it simply to hard to do on the site....Just an idea!

Thank you for the time

joshua

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Sounds like something the members could set up themselves imo. What did you have in mind?

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Well wed have 2-4 leagues, depending on how many ppl are interested in playing...
Teams will be picked by invitation and a # of 5 on a team...

We make out a league schedule/team A plays Team B and so on...
At the end of the season, the highest teams from each league compete in a league championship...

Of course each position on the Team will be positioned by rating board#1 would be your highest rated player; board #2 the next highest and so on so forth...

Wed have a League ranking board which would be updated to reflect each teams standings as the games finish off and individual board performances as well.

I would not mind keeping that updated and the scheduling of team games if we can get this off to a start... Time controls would be 30d+1d

What does everyone thing, as a rough draft; how this sounds or is it feasible at all?

jsnyder

Post by jsnyder » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Here's an idea. Don't put the team members in rating order, must make it that Each player plays 1 game or 2 games against every member of the opposing team.

So with 5 player teams each player would have either 5 or 10 games going at once. A 5 player team vs 5 player team match would be either 25 or 50 games.

The other option every team is playing every other team at the same time.

So if there were 6 -5 player teams playing, all of the board 1's would have a 6 player RR, the board 2's etc.
Either 1 or 2 games against each.

If you had 16 teams you could do 4 Sub leagues with the winners playing in the final match with DRR's on each board.

I like the first option better as far as determing which team really is better, but it would be a nightmare to get the games going and keep track of them.
2nd option would be a little easier to track.

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 pm

The idea of teams seems great to me!

:)

jsnyder wrote:

The other option every team is playing every other team at the same time.

So if there were 6 -5 player teams playing, all of the board 1's would have a 6 player RR, the board 2's etc.
Either 1 or 2 games against each.

If you had 16 teams you could do 4 Sub leagues with the winners playing in the final match with DRR's on each board.

I like the first option better as far as determing which team really is better, but it would be a nightmare to get the games going and keep track of them.

2nd option would be a little easier to track.

I would tend to agree that the second option is the better choice. And I think it would be wise to peg a number of teams at 8.

That would mean a 2-game RR between all the corresponding boards would consist of 14 games per player.

At the end of the first Round of these matches, the top four teams would advance to the semifinals. The same Board vs Board RR's would consist of 6 games per player. The top two teams would advance to the final, and produce a winner.

That would be my suggestion.

And as I mentioned to Joshua in one of our current games, I'd be willing to help tracking the scores and in the pairings, if needed.

The next question that occurs to me is how will the teams be selected? Will players join on a thread, as in the "Zapper", and then be paired similarly? Or will there be 'Captains' and a draft? This is where it gets interesting, right at the beginning.

:?

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:20 am

Good points for both of you!

I also think the 2nd method is probably better...
Cliff and I could track and keep updates on this...

Team Captains or every1 joingup and just erandonmw Teams?
Hmmm good question..Im prone to a "Team Captain" for each time myself...but maybe that isnt the best..INPUT please?!

The RR could be tracked easily enough...and as Team plays Team we merely upfate the results and the nest round of partings and a date...

Hopefully if we do this Timeouts wont be an issue as every1 on a team will have the pride not to timeout and try and make their Team the best!

Anyother ideas from anyone?
When might wee suggesst a start date...
I have Cliffs e mail and can talk about it to him thru that any1 else Ill take your e mail also and we can chat about it?!
So, more input or thoughts please!!

Joshua

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:33 pm

I've been considering what may be a good start date for a team tournament, and based on the esperience I have with posting tournaments, I find the late summer and early fall months, September through November the easiest time to come up with good tournaments.

Mid you, that's just an impression, i haven't kept stats or anything, so I may be wrong.

I'd really be interested in seeing more input on this myself!

People?

8)

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:52 pm

I agree Cliff!!

Ideas, people pluses, minuses??
We'd love to hear!!:)

Joshua