game never ended

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.
garrison

game never ended

Post by garrison » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:17 am

Greg, could you check on this game for me? It should have ended long ago, but never did. Other player quit making moves,

Game: g1104813810

Thanks a bunch!

angelofthenight

Post by angelofthenight » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:16 pm

After one full month without move, greg will be resign the game against your opposant.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:06 am

I've reduced the opponent's time so he'll time out in 10 days if he doesn't make a move. Although the time remaining read 0 on the game page, he actually had so much time remaining it messed up the display.

I don't automatically resign games after x number of days without a move. But it is against the rules, and unsportsmanlike, to abandon a game, particularly one you're loosing horribly. Such behavior in OTB games normally results in an automatic forfeit, and usually expulsion from the tournament.

I generally just reduce the time left so that the opponent times out within 10 days. This is because in correspondence chess, the player isn't require to physically sit at the board just in case the opponent comes back. And it's also more difficult to determine that the game actually has been abandoned.
Greg Miller