Time Limits

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.

Would you like to have time limits per move with no add time?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:11 am

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 9

xmate

Time Limits

Post by xmate » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:11 am

I sometimes find the time controls frustrating, especially when an opponent has a very high number of days to make a move and has obvioulsy abandoned the game. Waiting for the game to time out can be somewhat annoying.

A solution to this would be for each move to be subject to a specific time limit with no time added per move. For example a person could challenge for a game which had a 5 day time limit per move. Each time a person makes a move the time limit is re-set at 5 days. If a person does not make a move within the set time limit then the game is forfeit. Of course time limits could be higher or lower.

Just wondering what other people think.

mgomdysey

Post by mgomdysey » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:34 pm

i like your idea in theory however i think that the amount of time should be more than the 5 days ur were talking about as an example in ur comment..ive had times when i havent moved for 4-5 days cause i ve been busy..i think maybe more days-say 10? would be a good idea tho..unless the person notifies you that theyll be gone on vacation or something..what does everybodyelse think?
mgomdysey
maksim

xmate

Post by xmate » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:22 am

Thankyou for your comments. I only used 5 days as an example. The time limits could range from 1 hour or 1 day to 100 days if a person wished. The idea is that each move is timed and that once a move is made the time is reset. So for example if I was playing a game that had a 5 day per move time limit then I have 5 days in which to make a move. If I do not make a move within the specified time limit then the game is forfeit. If I do make a move within the time limit then the time limit is reset to 5 days for my next move, or whatever the time limit is. The important aspect of this method is that there is no add time

mgomdysey

Post by mgomdysey » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:57 pm

i agree with ur suggestion it definitely sounds like a good idea..i would suggest posting 20day limit before your game is automatically forfeited to ur opponent..that way ud have pleny of time to go on vacattion and come back and make amove..i do nnot how hard it would be to implement though..greg can you state ur opinion on how hard this would be to do and if you think its even worth doing? how does everybody feel about a 20day limit before an automatic forfeit?
thanks
mgomdysey
maksim

jpettit

Post by jpettit » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:16 am

The easiest way to do this would be to incorporate one of Greg's earlier suggestions: a time limit. Essentially, a time limit suggests that, if set at ten days, a person will never have more than ten days between moves, no matter how many moves are made in rapid succession.

So, we could set up a game with 10d initial time, 10d added on every move and a 10d time limit. Every time a move is made, you'll reset your ten days.

And if Greg sets this time limit as optional on the challenge screen, then users who hate this idea don't have to play with it. Everyone wins. And, of course, 10 days is just an example.