Forfeits and move time limit

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.
tightfist

Forfeits and move time limit

Post by tightfist » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Preview: Forfeits and move time limit
To Greg/and all moderators,

(1)Would it be possible to have a filter that wouldn't allow a player to join a challenge if their forfeits were of a certain percentage of games started. I feel 5% or less is acceptable. This filter would be optional and a challenger wouldn't have to use it. Some players seem to be nortorious forfeiters. I know unexpected situations comes up and games can't be completed.

(2)Could there be a way that a player could only be allowed to take an "x" number of days to make a move, regardless of the time control. The challenger could have the option of requiring a player to make a move within let's say for example every 10, 15 etc, days regardless of the time control. Just because someone has 60 days of playing accrued, they shouldn't wait a month to make a move. But some players when in a losing position won't resign, they just let the clock run out.

Thank you, tightfist
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

Re: Forfeits and move time limit

Post by ecperreault » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Except for a few very select people...
The rules pertaining to Time are very clear in games.
The time is posted and is clear to everyone BEFORE they accept the challenge/join in a tournament
You or your opponent can use the time as you see fit, and it in no way will alter any other results, except your game.
... unless you are one of a very select few, then you will always 'win' in any case.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:48 am

The problem I see with idea #1 is that everyone would likely use that feature, and someone with 5% timeouts who really wants to vindicate themselves will not be able to join any matches and get their % to 4% or less. Their only option would be to create a new account. And anyone wanting to abuse the system would be able to create a new account and bypass the restriction. Even it the timeouts "roll off" after a specific period, you'd still end up with a legitimate player unable to play for quite a while, or the roll-off period would have to be so short, it wouldn't deter abusers.

I don't think #2 is a good solution either, as people really do have instances where they can't visit the site for a couple of weeks, or really want to spend time evaluating a position.

The alternative to #2 is that there is a USCF rule that states people are not allowed to abandon games, especially in a lost position. If you have a game that is an obvious lost position where your opponent hasn't moved in a long time relative to their past moves, you can request the game be forfeited. Usually I just reduce the time down to 10 days remaining.

Even though players that do this are annoying, I don't think it's as big of a problem in correspondence chess. It really doesn't require any time or effort on your part to let a game time out normally. Your opponent, on the other hand, will see it every time they log in, and will have to remember to avoid moving. Contrast that to an online blitz game or an over the board game, where your opponent can get up and leave (or disconnect) and you still have to sit there studying the game.
Greg Miller

jboger

Post by jboger » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:54 am

Could we at least get a "flag" command to make the server instantly check whether our opponent has run out of time? I have an opponent in http://net-chess.com/viewgame.cgi?p1=g1105307145 who has timed out almost an entire hour ago and has not yet lost.

Also, where do we request that games be adjudicated? I've been waiting for a month in http://net-chess.com/viewgame.cgi?p1=g1105307146 when my opponent's next (completely forced) move allows two different mates-in-one. I wouldn't complain since it has just 3-and-a-half hours left, but since the other game hasn't been called yet and it's actually over...

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:26 pm

...........................Image...........................

Greetings Jboger . . . . I feel your frustrations !
Sounds like a need, perhaps, for some referee-decison-making here .... ? ? ?

Rest assurred Buddy, situations like yours have happened here in the past ; and in the final resolution, our capable Site Admin. GMiller has Always found/declared a fair-minded decision !

Just Hold On a bit more, you'll see what I mean ......... Salud !
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:56 pm

A flag button wouldn't be a bad idea. For abandoned games, I've usually just decreased their time to about 10 days so they time out soon, but I've been considering the idea of flagging the game as abandoned, and forcing the player to make a move before they can do anything else in any other games.
Greg Miller

langelli

Post by langelli » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:55 pm

I used to find people who abandon games to be very frustrating. So, now, before i join a match I look at each player to see what their forfeit percentage is. If I feel the number of forfeits is too high in relationship to the number of games played I don't join. This seems to work for me.