Fischer summary.

For news about anything happening in the world of chess. Links and summaries of articles are welcome, but mind copyright restrictions.
gmiller
Site Admin

Fischer summary.

Post by gmiller » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:54 am

I put this together to quiet a lot of the Fischer politics talk on our local club's website. There's not much chatter here about it, but it should be useful as an overview as to what's going on.

(This information was just gleamed from reading articles. I am by no means an authority on the matter.)

Bobby Fischer was arrested on Jul 13 2004 for attempting to board a plane from Japan to the Phillipines with a revoked US pasport. The normal process under these circumstances is to deport the individual to the country where they have citizenship, which in Fischer's case is the US. The deportation process is Japan's decision, and is not an extradition request from the US. There has been no report of an extradition request from the US, and no report that one is likley to be filed. What happens to Fischer is currently up to Japan, and Japan only.

He had until Jul 30 at midnight to appeal the exportation decision. On Jul 30, he was granted an extention for three days on this deadline and requested political assylum in Japan. This request was rejected on Aug 3 because he failed to write his name on the back of his pictures. The request was re-submitted on Aug 4 and is in process now. The process always takes longer than three weeks, and often goes into months.

He is also has the option of seeking assylum in Germany since his father was German. But his political statments against jews, and denial of the holocaust are crimes in Germany. Yugoslavia has preemtivley announced they will grant him assylum since the country benifited from his crime and they believe they "have a moral obligation to support him".

He may also apply to the UN to be recognized as a Statless Person, and receive UN travel documents. Which would allow him to even travel to the US without fear of prosecution for his past crimes.

If he does face charges for violating the UN sactions in the US, the maximum sentence is 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

He was being held in an airport detainment cell, but has been moved to a long term facility. He is currently seeking release from prison while the asylum process is underway.

Please correct me on anything I've gotten wrong.

zugzwanged

Re: Fischer summary.

Post by zugzwanged » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:10 pm

gmiller wrote:I put this together to quiet a lot of the Fischer politics talk on our local club's website. There's not much chatter here about it, but it should be useful as an overview as to what's going on.

(This information was just gleamed from reading articles. I am by no means an authority on the matter.)

Bobby Fischer was arrested on Jul 13 2004 for attempting to board a plane from Japan to the Phillipines with a revoked US pasport. The normal process under these circumstances is to deport the individual to the country where they have citizenship, which in Fischer's case is the US. The deportation process is Japan's decision, and is not an extradition request from the US. There has been no report of an extradition request from the US, and no report that one is likley to be filed. What happens to Fischer is currently up to Japan, and Japan only.

He had until Jul 30 at midnight to appeal the exportation decision. On Jul 30, he was granted an extention for three days on this deadline and requested political assylum in Japan. This request was rejected on Aug 3 because he failed to write his name on the back of his pictures. The request was re-submitted on Aug 4 and is in process now. The process always takes longer than three weeks, and often goes into months.

He is also has the option of seeking assylum in Germany since his father was German. But his political statments against jews, and denial of the holocaust are crimes in Germany. Yugoslavia has preemtivley announced they will grant him assylum since the country benifited from his crime and they believe they "have a moral obligation to support him".
"benefited from his crime"? Are you joking Mr. Miller? What "crime" did Fischer commit? Playing chess? Tell us Mr. Miller, exactly what law did Bobby Fischer break? Also, Fischer was not seeking "asylum" in Germany. He was seeking citizenship in Germany.
gmiller wrote: He may also apply to the UN to be recognized as a Statless Person, and receive UN travel documents. Which would allow him to even travel to the US without fear of prosecution for his past crimes.
Again, exactly what "past crimes" did Fischer commit? What laws did Fischer break?
gmiller wrote: If he does face charges for violating the UN sactions in the US, the maximum sentence is 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

He was being held in an airport detainment cell, but has been moved to a long term facility. He is currently seeking release from prison while the asylum process is underway.

Please correct me on anything I've gotten wrong.

Well, you copied and pasted *most* of what you found on my discussion group (and/or some other source perhaps), but took some nice liberties in changing the articles in such a way as to reflect your own personal position. It is quite clear that you are not a fan of Bobby Fischer. My advice to you Mr. Miller is to stick to webmastering and leave the journalism to people with enough integrity to avoid injecting their personal beliefs into their accounting of "facts".

ps.

Fischer is not in "prison" Mr. Miller. He is in the East Japan Immigration Center detention facility. Most of the people there have not commited any crimes and are being held because of issues with their passport and/or immigration status.

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: Fischer summary.

Post by gmiller » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:36 pm

If it ain't our old pal SuperChessKing. I should have known from your e-mail where the from address said Jason, but you signed it Paul. I'll admin, you got me on that one.

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:20 pm

Apt summary Greg. You do a particularly good job of clearing up a lot of confusion on the process of deportation--something the media often distorts because they quote Fischer without thinking about his complex webs of self-deception. His every statement must be checked on several counts--anti-Semitism is simply one manifestation of deeply rooted problems. His education on all matters of importance, except chess, appears to have stalled around age 11.

Zugzwang is correct to note a difference between a "prison" and "detention facility"; too often in America the words prison, jail, and detention center are used interchangably when there are important differences between them.

The rest of "Zug's" comments are too Fischeresque to be worthy of comment. Sympathy for, as well as hostility against Fischer obscures perception. So does egomania.

mic

fischer

Post by mic » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:32 pm

Thanks GMiller for clearing up all the fischer chatter going on. I saw him on ESPN being interviewed by Schapp and Fischer looked and sounded delusional and pathetic. He is anti-american, anti-semitic, and paranoid with a huge ego. He draws from comments and articles written 20-30 years ago...Iceland can have him. It's not that Americans dont want him it's that he doesnt represent even the slimest part of sound character that represents what Americans and America is all about. Oh by the way, Jason and I got into it and he resorted to calling me every name in the book; because, I wouldnt agree with him on his Fischerian logic.

good topic lots of commentary.

Mic
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

mic

fischer

Post by mic » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:33 pm

Thanks GMiller for clearing up all the fischer chatter going on. I saw him on ESPN being interviewed by Schapp and Fischer looked and sounded delusional and pathetic. He is anti-american, anti-semitic, and paranoid with a huge ego. He draws from comments and articles written 20-30 years ago...Iceland can have him. It's not that Americans dont want him it's that he doesnt represent even the slimest part of sound character that represents what Americans and America is all about. Oh by the way, Jason and I got into it and he resorted to calling me every name in the book; because, I wouldnt agree with him on his Fischerian logic.

good topic lots of commentary.

Mic
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic