Kirsan I.(current FIDE prez) is proposing...

For news about anything happening in the world of chess. Links and summaries of articles are welcome, but mind copyright restrictions.
redketchuplover

Kirsan I.(current FIDE prez) is proposing...

Post by redketchuplover » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:39 am

a world chess center instead of the near ground zero mosque. Thoughts?

cliff

Post by cliff » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:06 pm

First thought off the top of my head: interesting idea, and certainly less controversial than the Mosque.

But frankly, I haven't even determined yet whether or not the Mosque itself is a good idea. This is NOT due to any predjudice against any ideology, religion, or culture, however. I just find myself wondering if the wound, after even nine years, is still too raw in the local culture. Hence, perhaps some other time would be better than the anniversary date?

But, being Canadian and 700 miles from NYC, I'm not really in a position to know.

Interesting idea, at any rate!

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:17 am

I think it's more a matter of location than time. I haven't heard anything regarding the building(construction) schedule.

jplayer

Post by jplayer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:43 am

The New York Post has an enlighting article about the subject.
For those (like me) who can hardly make a non-critical opinion can gather some usefull information.

see:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/isla ... 6#comments

if links are allowed in this forum

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:06 pm

I read that article and the posts that were mentioned.

I have to say that there was a lot there that disturbed me greatly. While I concede that there were a few mentions (in the posts on it) that the article may have shown some bias, much of it rings true. I really question the merit of that construct now, regardless of it's purpose.

By contrast, a resounding "YES!" for a World Chess Center!

8)