Budapest gambit.

Post any puzzles you have or post your analysis of any games played on Net-Chess or anywhere else. Posts which do not contain game puzzles or analysis will be removed, such posts belong in the general forum. Commentary and discussion on openings is also welcome here.
mberggren

Budapest gambit.

Post by mberggren » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:59 pm

Does anybode know what the real problem is with playing the Budapest gambit? I have been playing it for sometime now, and it seems to me that its not unsound at all.

I think its really good, and playing white against it can be a really scary experience.

So if you have a line that you think is winning or close to winning against it
after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.dxe5 Ng4 please show it to me.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
View Board

jjones

Post by jjones » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:02 am

<Does anybode know what the real problem is with playing the Budapest gambit? I have been playing it for sometime now, and it seems to me that its not unsound at all.

I think its really good, and playing white against it can be a really scary experience.

So if you have a line that you think is winning or close to winning against it
after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.dxe5 Ng4 please show it to me. >

Well, the first main issue with the Budapest is that it is a GAMBIT! If you do get the pawn back..White, in general, will have a better position, IN GENERAL!:)

LEts look at a popular line:
1.d4 Nf6
2.c4, e5
3.dxe5, Ng4
4.Nf3, Bc5
5.e3, Nc6
6.Be2, 0-0
7.0-0, Re8
8. Nc3, Ngxe5
9. Nxe5, Nxe5
10.Ne4(!?) Usually, 10. b3 or 10. Khi is played, but I like this moves, it atacks the Black Bishop which is one of black's main attackers in lots of Budapest lines. ...Bf8
11. Ng3 and from here black has all kinds of options 11...d6, 11...a5!?, 11...Qh4!? and 11...g6 are a few..each one has its good and bad, but I think White's position is preferable after his 10th move...Black is constricted..certainly NOT What he wanted when playing this variation of the Budapest.
I can give more specifics I think, if anyone wants to tackle some other lines or variations. I am not saying that the Budapest is unsound..hell, as a D Pawn player, I have had to face it alot, and have not done the best...but I am not convinced it is the best opening out there :)

Hope this helped you a little ?!

Jeff aka "ZZapper" :twisted:

cornstalk

A good line against the Budapest

Post by cornstalk » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:20 am

After 3...Ng4, one of White's better lines is 4. e3 Nxe4 5. Nh3. With the white pieces, I won a nice game in the 1999 US Absolute (I think I recall the year correctly) from CC-IM John Mousessian using this line. The h3 knight went to d5 and then I ran my f-pawn to f6 (with tempo since Mousessian had mis-arranged his knights). I recall that he early decided to play ...Bb4+, exchanging my inactive QB for his active KB, a mistake.

But even with better play by Black, this line is not easy to deal with. The main idea is that White maintains a comfortable space advantage, and with knights on c3 and f4, will dominate and eventually occupy d5. The f-pawn advance is then one of his strategic threats. Black is not exactly losing but he is without counterplay.

One of Black's ideas is to play 5...Ng6 right away, preventing Nf4. White reacts with 6. g3 and eventually Bg2, O-O, and f4, squeezing Black.

I am rather certain that White preserves his += birthright in this line.

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:04 pm

ImageGreetings Mberggren and All !

I don't know if you get to surf the net for chess information as much as I do , but the following is a page (copyrighted .... www.jeremysilman.com/chess.html) that may prove useful to you from the site of one of my favorite chess book authors Jeremy Silman. Here Mr. Silman answers a writer's question concerning the Budapest Gambit in great detail that is somewhat similar to what you have asked here. You may wish to do as I did and set up a board or two on your PC chess program in order to better follow his dialog. Maybe we can all learn something from this in depth article. Enjoy !

"Joshua (2100) asks:
As you probably guessed from our first simultaneous game, I have played the Budapest quite a bit (though I am beginning to doubt its effectiveness). One main line goes 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.dxe5 Ng4 4.Nf3 Bc5 5.e3 Nc6 6.Be2 0-0 7.0-0 Ngxe5 8.Nxe5 Nxe5 9.a3 a5 10.b3 Re8 11.Bb2 Ra6!?, fully intending to follow up with …Rh6, …d6, …Qh4, …Bxh3 (after White plays h3), etc. This (type of) position has always bothered me, for although I have scored a bunch of really quick wins (against weak opponents, admittedly), it always seemed that Black's only “justificationâ€
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !