I wanted to share with you this embarrassing game

Post any puzzles you have or post your analysis of any games played on Net-Chess or anywhere else. Posts which do not contain game puzzles or analysis will be removed, such posts belong in the general forum. Commentary and discussion on openings is also welcome here.

katchum

Post by katchum » Fri May 28, 2004 4:54 pm

I thought I could use the Philidor defence but it turned out this way, I have done every right step following Philidor, but apparently there is a hole in our theory.

What was my 'bad'move?

muabdib

Nothing wrong with theory

Post by muabdib » Sat May 29, 2004 3:40 am

Hi Albert,

there's nothing wrong with theory. You just can't play this defense like you did:-((1) Be7 is too slow 2) The Ng8 should be developed before Nb8 3) A critical square is d5 you made no move to control this square 4) you should never choose an opening-line like the Philidor if you've no idea of the strategy to be followed 5) Enjoy his music and drop this opening - it's by far too passive

Regards
Hans

mic

Philidor

Post by mic » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:44 pm

:D :P are you having fun using the Philidor....most people arent up on it however, i do agree that it is too slow for hypermodern chess and can easily be attacked...unless you are an excellent defender. I have found only a handful of people sofar who actually know their openings and have kicked my butt...it just makes me go back to the books and try to remember what I knew 30 yrs ago.....have fun try anything :idea:

mic
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

katchum

Post by katchum » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:13 pm

Well, ever since I started playing chess, I really liked this opening, one of my favorites, it is very solid.

But when you do all your theory book moves, then there is nothing of attack in your pieces, they can do nothing at all. You can only wait...

And like you can see there are holes in it I never have seen before.

sirthursday

Post by sirthursday » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:42 pm

There are many ways to play the Philidor, but lines including 3...Nd7 and 4...Nd7 contain many traps. There are three that you should be aware of:

Along with the one you fell into, there is also 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 Nd7 4. Bc4 exd4 5. Nxd4 Be7 :?: which loses to 6. Bxf7+ Kxf7 7. Ne6 :!: Black loses if he takes the knight because of 8. Qd5+ Kf6 9. Qf5# He has to move his queen which allows Nxc7.

The other trap occurs after 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 Nd7 4. Bc4 c6 5. Nc3 Be7 6. dxe5 dxe5 7. Ng5. Black doesn't win a piece by taking the knight, because of Qh5. If black plays 7...Nh6 instead to defend the f-pawn, White can play 8. Ne6. Again capture doesn't work because of 9. Bxh6. Now 9...hxg6 :?: loses to 10. Qh5+ Kf8 11. Bxe6. There is no way to stop both Qf7# and Qxh6#. Black's best alternatives are probably 9...0-0 and 9...Ng6. It's long winded but good to know.

I hope these help... I don't actually know what you should play instead though.
:idea: I did read somewhere that 3...Nf6 is best.

Sir Thursday

sourcerer

Post by sourcerer » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:14 am

your bad move was not castling :oops: :idea: :o :oops: next time play sicilian c5 first
katchum wrote:I thought I could use the Philidor defence but it turned out this way, I have done every right step following Philidor, but apparently there is a hole in our theory.

Wyhat was my 'bad'move?

hybriddream

Why did you resign!

Post by hybriddream » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:54 pm

I don't know why you resigned! You should have tried a couple of moves more to see if you could get a better position. Take the move Kg1h6 which covers the f7 square also allowing you to castle, this is best for your position but also to an extreme you could have used d6 to open an escape for the king for the time being where if white checked with bishop you could use Bc8d7 to block and then whatever from there. I think there was possibilty there.

bahus

Post by bahus » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:58 am

hybriddream: Yes you are correct, only moves Black has are Nh6 and 0-0 to avoid mate. Problem is that after 6...Nh6 7.Bxh6 0-0 8.Be3 Black is a piece down and White can just exchange down to won endgame.

BTW, there is a similar trap in Scotch Gambit:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Bc4 Be7 5.c3 dxc3?! 6.Qd5

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
View Board

r1bqk1nr/ppppbppp/2n5/3Q4/2B1P3/2p2N2/PP3PPP/RNB1K2R b KQkq - 0 6

Here the moves Nh6 and 0-0 keep Black in the game as White can't hold on to the material (6...Nh6 7.Bxh6 0-0 8. Bc8? Nb5 or 8...c2).

- bahus