Me vs. a 7 year old.

Post any puzzles you have or post your analysis of any games played on Net-Chess or anywhere else. Posts which do not contain game puzzles or analysis will be removed, such posts belong in the general forum. Commentary and discussion on openings is also welcome here.
gmiller
Site Admin

Me vs. a 7 year old.

Post by gmiller » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:40 pm

I just started playing OTB chess last week at a local deli. The time control was 30min/game.

I was really impressed by this guy, he's only seven years old, and has only been playing for a year. He played two other games which he won, and he gets extra points for winning the last one because it was past his bedtime.

[Event ""]
[Site "McAlister's Deli"]
[Date "12-1-2003"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Jonah"]
[Black "Greg Miller"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Be7 5. Bxf6 Bxf6 6. Nc3 O-O
7. Nd5 d6 8. Nxf6+ Qxf6 9. c3 Bg4 10. h3 Bh5 11. g4 Bg6 12. g5 Qe6
13. h4 Bh5 14. Be2 Bg4 15. d4 Bxf3 16. Bxf3 exd4 17. cxd4 Qc4
18. d5 Qb4+ 19. Qd2 Nd4 20. Qxb4 Nc2+ 21. Kd1 Nxb4 22. Be2 Rfe8
23. a3 Na6 24. Bxa6 bxa6 25. f3 Rab8 26. Rb1 Rb3 27. Rf1 Reb8
28. Rf2 Rd3+ 29. Kc2 Rbb3 30. Rbf1 Kf8 31. f4 Rh3 32. Rg1 Rbg3
33. Rxg3 Rxg3 34. Rh2 Re3 35. Rf2 Rxe4 36. Kd3 Re1 37. f5 Rh1
38. g6 Rxh4 39. gxh7 Rxh7 40. f6 gxf6 41. Rxf6 Ke7 42. Rf2 Rh4
43. Rc2 Kd7 44. Rf2 1/2-1/2

I offered a draw because I can't play endgames, and it's somewhat intimidating to get beaten by a player who has to stand on the chair to reach the pieces. :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
View Board

hamot

Post by hamot » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:53 pm

Past his bed time? Contributing to the delinquency of a minor? Shame! :shock: :wink:

toverturf
Uranium

You should play my 5 year old

Post by toverturf » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:04 pm

My five year old son expressed an interest in chess about 3 months ago, so I went over the pieces and the moves, etc. We play at least one game a day. Now he's not that good yet, but the amount he gets better day by day is truly frightening. At his current rate of progression, he will need his own account here by the end of next month or so.

The best game so far (at least the funniest) was him mating me with a backdoor mate that I just let go on for 2 moves, not really paying attention. And that is the real lesson I learned... no matter how bad you're beating somebody, you have to keep paying attention.

This evening's game was an English symmetrical, that he played perfectly through to the first exchange in the main line, and the kid has 1) never had the English played against him (I have been playing the center pawns to teach the importance of the center), 2) never seen a book (well, he's seen it, but he can't read, so I don't think he's been secretly researching in my MCO), and 3) he's never played symmetrically before, and I don't know where he got the idea. I asked him and he said it just seemed like the right thing to do...

Now, I've seen the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer" and believe me, I haven't pushed chess at him at all. Yes he often watches while I go through my games here, but he's never asked questions. I always let him ask me to play. I even let him pick the color, and he always switches, which is pretty darn noble for a 5 year old, he even admits he much prefers white. I do make comments during the game, praising good moves, and explaining bad moves, but not every move, just when a particularly vivid example comes up.

I really didn't start this note to get off on a tangent like this, but this is as good a place as any I guess to ask what I should do next. I'm certainly a decent player, and I even took lessons myself many years ago, so I sort of remember parts of the lesson plans, but other than playing him and pointing out the mistakes, etc. I am really, really not qualified to teach more than the basics. I have a bunch of chess books, but I'm not sure going through "My System" with him would hold his attention. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Thad

hamot

5 year olds

Post by hamot » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:24 pm

My son was also 5 when I taught him how to play. He loves playing, too, but does not sound like he has the skill of your son. JB (his initials) is 7 now, and still likes to trade his knights for a pawn (and other poor trades, too).

I would definitely keep it simple. Focus on one concept for several games (i.e. pins, forks, back rank mates, etc.). Keep him focused on checkmate, not gaining material. I still get carried away in games focusing on material rather than how I can force checkmate!

I have learned that kids learn better through telling stories. I use a lot of analogies in my teaching to make my points. Since I teach 5th grade students (I teach band) all the way through 12th graders, I have to always remember to keep it age-appropriate. Go from the known to the unknown. Keep probing to make sure he understands. Sometimes kids "say" that they understand, but they do not demonstrate understanding.

Ask, "Why do you think that I just made that move?" and "why did you do what you just did?" Tell him your strategy and have him try to thwart it.

I hope this helps.

BTW - I used to live in Tomah WI, hence the username hamot (Tomah spelled backwards). Where do you live?

Tim

tellymetwise

Re: You should play my 5 year old

Post by tellymetwise » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:26 am

toverturf wrote:My five year old son expressed an interest in chess about 3 months ago, ........
At his current rate of progression, he will need his own account here by the end of next month or so.
If you think he can handle it, do. (You can always set maximum rating)

I can't say that from my own experience with this, as the last time I won from my brothers son, I still gave away the Queen and a Rook.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:14 pm

Every kid is going to be different, and you certainly know him better than any of us. But I'd imagine getting him playing other people of the same skill would likley help motivate him. That way he can really win a game where someone isn't going easy on him.

Playing on the computer is certianly convenient, but he'll probably find it more entertaining to play against an opponent he can see.

Rewards are always motivational, but only rewarding him when he plays well is probably a little too draconian for a five year old, so rewarding him just for playing would be the better way to go.

Once you've got him playing regularly, he'll probably seek out way to improve his game any way he can. And at that point, even sitting down with "My System" with him probably will likley keep his attention if he really wants to improve.