Shredder and Chess Puzzles

Post any puzzles you have or post your analysis of any games played on Net-Chess or anywhere else. Posts which do not contain game puzzles or analysis will be removed, such posts belong in the general forum. Commentary and discussion on openings is also welcome here.
imreallylousy

Shredder and Chess Puzzles

Post by imreallylousy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:30 pm

I have the Burt Hochberg "Award Winning Chess Problems" It gives exclusively white to mate in two problems. Since Imreallylousy, I find most of them difficult. I've set them up in Shredder but it seems not to be able to handle them. Am I asking too much of Shredder??

energy

Re: Shredder and Chess Puzzles

Post by energy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:15 pm

imreallylousy wrote:I have the Burt Hochberg "Award Winning Chess Problems" It gives exclusively white to mate in two problems. Since Imreallylousy, I find most of them difficult. I've set them up in Shredder but it seems not to be able to handle them. Am I asking too much of Shredder??
Lol!

I think this must be a PEBKAC...

There is no way that a current chess engine can't solve a mate in two in no-time. It's just a matter of trying all possible moves.
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:21 am

Depends on what you mean by "not being able to handle them". It might find a mate in three or four and stop looking, but it should still find a mate. But it's not uncommon for an engine to stop searching when it finds any forced mate, not necessarily the one in the least number of moves.
Greg Miller

ramawolf

Post by ramawolf » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:52 am

imreallylousy wrote: ... I've set them up in Shredder but it seems not to be able to handle them. Am I asking too much of Shredder??
You have an example for a 'Mate in Two' that your engine could not handle/solve?