Endgame: bishop vs. knight

Post any puzzles you have or post your analysis of any games played on Net-Chess or anywhere else. Posts which do not contain game puzzles or analysis will be removed, such posts belong in the general forum. Commentary and discussion on openings is also welcome here.
ovidiubar

Endgame: bishop vs. knight

Post by ovidiubar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:09 am

which piece is stronger in this position, the bishop or the knight? what the result would be?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
View Board

White to move

primalinstinct

Post by primalinstinct » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:14 am

Greetings, I believe that the bishop is stronger to this point, it has more freedom to move and can protect its pawns easier than the knight can. The result can be a win for black since black has a slight advantage (I think, at least from seeing many end games with similar situations), but a draw may also be a possibility depending on the moves that ensue.

Ï€

cnita

Post by cnita » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:24 am

This game is a draw I think,Mr. Primal...

primalinstinct

Post by primalinstinct » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:31 am

Its a matter of debate, depending on the skill of each player, a win is a very slight possibility, but a possibility nonetheless, Mr. Cnita...

ovidiubar

draw?

Post by ovidiubar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:36 pm

I think it's a draw, too. The knight should go imediately to e5, a point where it controls a large area of the board. The bishop, logically defends the pawn on g6. Then the centralization of the kings, probably on d3 and d5. The white king seems to be in trouble because of the two pawns - a and e - which need protection, but practically he will try to keep the opposition. The control of the c4 square by the knight is very helpful for this. Still, it seems that black has more pawn moves left - e6 and b5. But none of them cannot advance without a risk. So both players have to play for a draw. If one of them is forcing, he could lose the game.

For example, after : 1. Ne5 Be8 2. Kf2 Kd6 3. Ke2 Kc5 4. Kd2 Kd5 5. Kd3 e6 6.Ke2 b5 7. Kd3 b6 8. Kc3 Ke4 9. Kd2 Kd5 10. Kd3 b4 11. axb4 b5

the following position will appear. One player did some serious mistake. Which one? White to move again.

View Board

imreallylousy

Re: Endgame: bishop vs. knight

Post by imreallylousy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:23 pm

In the first position shown, isn't the Knight stronger in that the Bishop is a "bad" Bishop?

energy

Re: Endgame: bishop vs. knight

Post by energy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:37 pm

ovidiubar wrote:which piece is stronger in this position, the bishop or the knight? what the result would be?

View Board

White to move
I believe this is a draw, but it's close! One important line goes 1. Ne5 Be8 2. Kf2 Kd6 3. Ke2 Kc5 4. Kd2 Kb5 5. Kc3 Ka4 6.Kb2 b5 7. Nd3 b6
White can never allow black to exchange a b-pawn for the a-pawn, and must also defend the a-pawn with the king.
The only other try I can find is to race for it with 5.Kd4 (instead of 5.Kc3) Ka4 6.Kd5 Kxa3 7.Ke6 b5 8.Kxe7 Bc6 9.Nxg6 b4 10.Ne5 but 10...Bd5 or the slightly crazy 10...b5 seems to hold.
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu