Ladders out of order these last few weeks...

For discussion regarding the chess ladder
ajochem

Ladders out of order these last few weeks...

Post by ajochem » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:52 am

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.
:?:
Perhaps there's some way we could help solving these troubles... :?

jsnyder

Post by jsnyder » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:09 pm

Here's the response from mluka in the general forum.
I posted there cuz I didn't look and see there was a separate ladder forum.. lol oops!
mluka wrote:I had moved the site to a new server around four months ago and have had nothing but problems since then. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that I wouldn't encounter similar issues on any other server.

To worsen the situation, I am absolutely swamped right now. I'm considering, rather than looking back and fighting the bugs in this old version, pushing out the new version, which is less-than-beta quality. If I can count on getting consistent user feedback - preferably more of the "this feature isn't working because of xxxxx" or "I was expecting xxxxxxxxxx but experienced/witnessed yyyyyyyyy" rather than "fix this $^%#$$%" - then that will be the way to go.

That would likely hasten the return of the team competition as well, but I must emphasize how buggy it will be in the early going for both ladders and teams if we go this route.

Thoughts?

mluka

Post by mluka » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:18 pm

We're back online and I cleaned out some of those old challenges. That's not to say it's necessarily issue-free. Hopefully it's robust enough to stand on its own for a bit longer.

ajochem

I'm afraid it's still "Unavailable", at least from

Post by ajochem » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:52 pm

mluka wrote:We're back online and I cleaned out some of those old challenges. That's not to say it's necessarily issue-free. Hopefully it's robust enough to stand on its own for a bit longer.
Tried many times along these days... :(
:arrow: http://ladders.chessclubinternational.com/

Service Unavailable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

senna

Post by senna » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:58 pm

It doesn't work for me either!
Senna

cmarcolino

Re: Ladders out of order these last few weeks...

Post by cmarcolino » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:21 am

ajochem wrote:
Service Unavailable

:?:
Perhaps there's some way we could help solving these troubles... :?
[2]

sonrisante

.NET Applications

Post by sonrisante » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:28 am

I notice the .aspx extension, which implies a .NET application. Sometimes .NET applications are slow to load the first time, since it's initializing the entire .NET framework and loading a lot into cache. Sometimes websites even time out.

I just loaded the page and after about 30 seconds I got the correct ladder screen. I bet I'm not the first to use it today.

My suggestion to users: if you receive a 503 or something like that after a while, wait another minute or so and then click the link again (not refresh). It may load the second time.

sonrisante

.NET Applications

Post by sonrisante » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:31 am

I notice the .aspx extension, which implies a .NET application. Sometimes .NET applications are slow to load the first time, since it's initializing the entire .NET framework and loading a lot into cache. Sometimes websites even time out.

I just loaded the page and after about 30 seconds I got the correct ladder screen. I bet I'm not the first to use it today.

My suggestion to users: if you receive a 503 or something like that after a while, wait another minute or so and then click the link again (not refresh). It may load the second time.