Wrong message, and an indication of a bigger problem!

For discussion regarding the chess ladder
energy

Wrong message, and an indication of a bigger problem!

Post by energy » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Hi Mike!

I got this message today:

"""
You are receiving this message because you have been inactive on the pyramid for 9 months or more. You must issue a challenge on the pyramid soon to avoid being removed.
"""

But my last ladder game ended at 2007.06.01, which is less than three months ago! ( http://www.net-chess.com/matchstats.cgi?id=m1174333422 )

Also, this may become more of a general problem, since I don't have anyone to challenge! The other two are busy beating each other over the heads, and unless they draw their match, one will go up and another will go down. The guy at the next level down is all alone so can't move anywhere, and you have to go all the way down to level 5 to find someone playing each other.

It's lonely at the top... ;-)

Energy
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

mluka

Post by mluka » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:49 pm

I had seen that an inordinate number of these emails were going out lately but thought it was related to another bug that is making site access sporadic. This is definitely a bigger problem.
Fortunately - because of your "history" suggestion from many months back - logs have been kept (hopefully they aren't buggy as well!) of what position someone occupied just before moving on one of the ladders, including when they are removed for inactivity, etc. So, worst case scenario, it should be possible to restore the standing of anyone who has been unfairly removed.
Best case scenario, it is only a bug in the warning logic, and no one will actually have been removed prematurely, although technicaly speaking you should never have received a warning - after years even - having no one to challenge.
I'll set aside some time tomorrow to look into this and see if I can determine what has gone wrong.
In the interim, anyone else who has received a message like this and believes they should not have, please post details here or email me.
My hope is that the other bug has caused this, which is a possibility.

Thanks,
Mike

mluka

Two bugs, one stone.

Post by mluka » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:01 am

These issues should now be resolved.