high rating by time-out lost games!?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
patrikstorm

high rating by time-out lost games!?

Post by patrikstorm » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:36 am

Is it just me, or is it possible to avoid losses by doing a time-out. It is impossible to influence the game any way (reply, if any, from the admin seem to take time) and you are not credited for the win in statistics or rating; and opponent do not suffer the loss either.
If it does not change = a stupid site for criminal minds.

parkejo

Post by parkejo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:02 pm

If your opponent times out, he always gets the loss.

If your opponent times out before 10 moves, you get nothing.

If your opponent times out after 10 moves, you get win. (Not sure if that starts with the 10th or the 11th move.)

I think if you look at some of the history of postings on this forum, you'll see this is a topic that has been well vetted. Also, there are plenty of postings about what to-do and not-to-do if your opponent refuses to resign an "obvious" loss. Hint: Name calling is not recommended.

parkejo

Post by parkejo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:03 pm

If your opponent times out, he always gets the loss.

If your opponent times out before 10 moves, you get nothing.

If your opponent times out after 10 moves, you get win. (Not sure if that starts with the 10th or the 11th move.)

I think if you look at some of the history of postings on this forum, you'll see this is a topic that has been well vetted. Also, there are plenty of postings about what to-do and not-to-do if your opponent refuses to resign an "obvious" loss. Hint: Name calling is not recommended.

patrikstorm

time-out

Post by patrikstorm » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:03 pm

Ok, thanks for the information and the other recommendation. Most other sites have 4-5 moves for any "effect" to take place.

patrikstorm

it is irregular if you get time forfeit or not

Post by patrikstorm » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:30 pm

In a recent couple of games (where I unfortunately set time wrong, thinking that 2d+0d would mean at least two days for EACH move) my opponent got time forfeit against me although only 4-5 moves were made. And it is calculated in my score and everything. Byt my games against "kenc" were 9 moves were made does not result in time forfeit for my opponent. Very assymetric and stupid. Maybe there is another factor that one should be a fortune teller to realize, or then maybe the system has a bug or has been tampered with. Like for the MSN GamingZone, were virtually all very high rateds cheat grosely with the java interface, proving nothing though they think it means something. Well well, xxxx happens.

patrikstorm

Opponents but not my record affected

Post by patrikstorm » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:50 pm

A comment to the comment above. I have seen the record for "kenc" and he got the losses counted. But why is not then my record counted for the wins in this case. Clearly a bug indeed. Is it possibly so that a person with provisonal rating (as I had at the time), due to a bug or policy, not can win on opponents time-out. But the door should swing both ways which it then not did. *hmmm* Just a thought.

p.s. still no reply by admin in this issue...but I guess they have more to think of than a couple of lousy games that pretty fast get history

slowblunder

Post by slowblunder » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:09 pm

patrikstorm wrote:Clearly a bug indeed.
It´s not a bug, it´s a feature (or as you call it: policy)!
Have a look at the posts #2 and #3 in this thread (by parkejo) and your answer to them.

This policy won´t change because there are good reasons for it. A game with a time-out after 9 moves is no deserved benefit for the "winner"´s strength, but the loser should be punished because it is against courtesy. And if the game ends regularly before move #10 (by resignment or mate) it is counted for both opponents, that´s okay as well.

By the way, do you really expect an answer by an admin of a "stupid site for criminal minds" (post #1)? I don´t.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:45 pm

I can't say I've ignored an e-mail asking this question, it's possible I never received it (possibly marked as spam). But the first reply in this thread (by Parkejo) is correct.

All timeouts are scored as a loss for the looser. But you only get a win if more than 10 moves where made. The idea being that if you beat someone in less than 10 moves you're probably rated a lot higher than them anyway. If they resign, or get mated, it always counts for both players.

patrikstorm

the logic is clear

Post by patrikstorm » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:18 am

Ok, it all make sense to me now. I did not quite figured out the logic before.
And, my remark about the site was stupid(!) and inappropriate. My sincerest apologies.