Team Playoffs

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.

How should ties be broken in team playoff matches?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:04 am

All players play a tiebreak match, but with shorter time controls.
No votes
Teams play a collaborative head-to-head match - one entire team vs. another entire team.
No votes
Regular-season standings break the tie (higher seeded team advances).
33%
The result of the highest board which is not drawn determines the winner - i.e. whoever wins at board 1, or board 2 if board 1 is drawn, etc.
No votes
Tiebreaking matches should not be used in any round except the finals.
33%
Tiebreaking matches should be used in every round of the playoffs.
No votes
Tiebreaking matches should never be used as they could carry on indefinitely.
33%

Total votes: 3

mluka

Team Playoffs

Post by mluka » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:04 am

One thing that has never come up before (and was not previously addressed) is the issue of a tiebreak system for playoffs in the chess-teams competition.
As most of the rules for chess-teams have been decided upon by vote, I'd like to see what the general feeling is on this matter.
Some of the options are not mutually exclusive, so I think it's fair to vote for more than one option.
Please also post any comments or suggestions you might have.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:31 am

mluka,
my I believe this is about the semi-final against USA Dark Knights vs Europawns, which possibly ends in a tie? I can't find my most fair solution, that is: they already combat each other? so use that result. If this is also a tie, the captains of each team (why do they have a captain?) decide who plays a "tie-break" in one game. This means also, it 's possible that it is'nt that team who ended highest in competition, but who was the strongest at that confrontation.
But maybe we must look also to the special circumstances here? Unlucky it's the captain (Jef Jones) who quit, and we all know why? So if you decid that the Dark Knights play the final, this team is behead, and must find a new, competitive substitute. And maybe, in honour of Jef they prefere to withdraw as team?
Anyway, a difficult matter which need a solution.
anytime ready for a constuctive discussion,
janick

pe

Post by pe » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:54 am

Mike,

my vote goes to using the result of the regular competition. this competition took over a year to be played. the result of this lead to : 4 teams out of 7 going through ; in my opinion not much value for the effort put in. a team that wins 3 matches out of 6 gets in the play offs. so any extra value added to the result of the regular competition seems logical to me.

if a tie break would be played : all players playing again seems timeconsuming (my games were finished by the time the last match was started). and : what with time outs ? then these players need to be replaced first ? if played with shorter time controls, we risk to have even more time outs. having one player from each team playing would seem an easier solution.

just my 2cts,
peter