Passing the torch...

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
sumdeus

Passing the torch...

Post by sumdeus » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:32 am

Official thanks to Greg Miller at net-chess and to all of my opponents that comprised the net-chess championship cycles 2003 and 2004.

Over the past few years we've played many exciting games together and discussed many theoretical debates. My passion and drive for the truth behind many openings has been stretched further than once anticipated and in some rare cases even caused me to reach the furthest most peaks of my energy. This last cycle was an excellent example with a very close and especially challenging race between davidswhite and myself.

However...

Upon further reflection with the current state of interest between myself and net-chess users; I have decided to refrain from playing in "Brets Cup and the 2006 site championship". Instead I have decided to concentrate my chess energies elsewhere and let someone else take up the gauntlet. While this should in no way reflect negatively on this site or it's users, but rather shine a brighter light on my eagerness to expand in other areas of my life; both mentally and financially.

For anyone who knows my scientific style of play (i.e. beezaman, greenmonarch... etc. A BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!!!) knows just how much work and effort I've put into each and every single game played here. It's for this very reason that my gratitude extends to each and every one of you.

I would personally like to wish everyone here the best of luck and skill with their chess.

Perhaps I'll be back to challenge the new site champ in 2007.

So please be ready!!!

Yours truly,

Sumdeus

Net-Chess Champ

81 Wins, 0 Losses, 9 Draws

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:26 am

Dear Sumdeus,

I'm very sorry you won't be participating here in the immediate future.
As I told you(and every other player with whom I communicated) as
far as I'm concerned you are the strongest(best) chessplayer I've ever
played.
Not losing to you in our head-to-head match in the last cycle(of course,
I did everything in my power to win) stretched me right to the breaking
point and left me thoroughly drained.
I wish you the best in whatever you decide to apply yourself and am
hopeful that once you have succeeded there(as I'm certain you will),
you will return here and continue the chess lessons you have been so
effectively giving us.

Thanks and regards,
David

bret

Re: Passing the torch...

Post by bret » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:40 pm

sumdeus wrote:My passion and drive for the truth behind many openings has been stretched further than once anticipated and in some rare cases even caused me to reach the furthest most peaks of my energy.
huh? Do we share the same passion? The truth behind each and every opening is what has driven me the last few years. In fact about the only games that I have played lately have been thematics to help me to this end. I've changed to allowing others to play the game and I just look at the truth that was found. These "others" have included you, which I have only found one position that you were lost in (so far!), however you still won. So even some of us who do not play against you, will still be waiting for your return.

-bret

beezaman

Thanx

Post by beezaman » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:23 pm

Thankyou for all you have done and will hopefully continue to do otb with my chess. You are inspiring, and hope for you success in what ever you do...(especially you coaching career) Thanks and goodluck, your bud Beez