Siliconthelion?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
wicked

Siliconthelion?

Post by wicked » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:16 pm

It looks to me that this player (easy identified) has used silicon power to
subyugate his oponents during the tournament.

Altough its practically imposible to figure it out, what benefit its for the glory of its computer not for the mind? :?

I have respect for players but I just can't deny the fact it angers me that someone actually could do this it just for the fun or whatever the reasons for it. :evil:

Oh whatever go on... I would not care anymore... 8) I can always get the
shedder (or the new zappa wccc champion) or else to have a great computer chess to playwith (and get beaten by them). :shock:

knightmare
Uranium

Post by knightmare » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:57 pm

I'm more surprised by the people that lament the use of computers than the one that actually use them. So there you have it. I expect a torrent of responses. Don’t disappoint me.
Increasingly unconsidered,

knightmare
Uranium

Post by knightmare » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:21 pm

Unconsidered = unconcerned.

must add 'ability to edit post to the suggestion box'.

wicked

Post by wicked » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:26 pm

Sure, I even like using computers (at work all the time). I have used them for 15 years now. :shock:

The problem lies when the use is for fooling yourself and others in your abilities to play chess in this case.

So your point is?

By the way I feel obligated to say thx to all the uranium (and other metals as well) people that contribute to this excellent web site. :D

knightmare
Uranium

Post by knightmare » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:54 pm

My point was not that cryptic. It is simply that chess engines are here to stay. I really don't care and I half expect my opponents to use them. I seriously believe the majority of them do. No one is fooling anyone.
You’re welcome.

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:44 pm

knightmare wrote:My point was not that cryptic. It is simply that chess engines are here to stay. I really don't care and I half expect my opponents to use them. I seriously believe the majority of them do. No one is fooling anyone.
You’re welcome.
I also don't spend any time worrying about whether my opponents use chess engines, although I suspect that only a few do. If many do, they are doing so badly or inconsistently, because I've won the majority of my games through severe tactical blunders on the parts of my opponents. The weakest in my arsenal of 64+ engines would not make the errors that cause both my wins and my losses.

I do worry that fear of engine use creates a certain paranoia for online players, and deters many who might otherwsie join us.
Wulebgr

“From a fish’s point of view, a wulebgr is a leech.”

cornstalk

Re: Siliconthelion?

Post by cornstalk » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:28 pm

wicked wrote:It looks to me that this player (easy identified) has used silicon power to
subyugate his oponents during the tournament.

Altough its practically imposible to figure it out, what benefit its for the glory of its computer not for the mind? :?

I have respect for players but I just can't deny the fact it angers me that someone actually could do this it just for the fun or whatever the reasons for it. :evil:

Oh whatever go on... I would not care anymore... 8) I can always get the
shedder (or the new zappa wccc champion) or else to have a great computer chess to playwith (and get beaten by them). :shock:
This player played a nice move against me that I'm not sure silcon would have discovered. Also, I don't really care whether my opponents are using computers.