What exactly is a 3 move repetition?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
katchum

What exactly is a 3 move repetition?

Post by katchum » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:07 am

m1107024464

I though when you move on two squares for a few times and the opponent also moves on 2 squares for a few times it would be draw.

But this game apparently shows that draw can be made by moving things over 2 or more different squares.

Well?

katchum

Post by katchum » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:12 am

I mean this game: g1104611793

energy

Re: What exactly is a 3 move repetition?

Post by energy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:30 pm

katchum wrote: I though when you move on two squares for a few times and the opponent also moves on 2 squares for a few times it would be draw.

But this game apparently shows that draw can be made by moving things over 2 or more different squares.

Well?
You really should do your own homework you know...

From http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101

The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by sequential repetition of moves)

a. is about to appear, if he first writes his move on his scoresheet and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move, or

b. has just appeared, and the player claiming the draw has the move.

Positions as in (a) and (b) are considered the same, if the same player has the move, pieces of the same kind and colour occupy the same squares, and the possible moves of all the pieces of both players are the same.
Positions are not the same if a pawn that could have been captured en passant can no longer be captured or if the right to castle has been changed temporarily or permanently.

wbartier

Post by wbartier » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:24 am

do you have to claim it inmediatly? or not? Sometimes you see it when it's to late.

See Ye
Wieland

muabdib

Lousy question

Post by muabdib » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:36 am

Hey Albert, your last question was a really lousy one. What the hell has the number of squares to do with a repetition of moves? Please next time before asking look to the FIDE website first. I mean before asking where the holes in the Emmenthal (cheese) come from.

cornstalk

Re: Lousy question

Post by cornstalk » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:14 am

muabdib wrote:Hey Albert, your last question was a really lousy one. What the hell has the number of squares to do with a repetition of moves? Please next time before asking look to the FIDE website first. I mean before asking where the holes in the Emmenthal (cheese) come from.
This appears to be a slight over-reaction, dear friend. Not everyone here is a tournament player.

wbartier, the answer to your question is contained in the FIDE rules that muabdib so generously copied here for you. Please take the trouble to read and understand them.

The FIDE rules appear to assume that a correct score is being kept by the claiming player. The fact is that to claim threefold repetition, you must be able to prove with your scoresheet that the position has occurred twice before. In a tournament, if someone claims and you would rather play, never agree but always call the director and demand that the proof be given from the scoresheet.

I don't know whether threefold repetition is caught by the net-chess server. Implementing that might be expensive.

katchum

Post by katchum » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:19 pm

*runs away* :oops:

jjones

Post by jjones » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:36 am

It is OK Albert!!

As the old saying goes, "There is no suxch thing as a stupid question" I think you know now and no one thinks less of you for asking or not understanding...at least I don't.
This is how we are suppose to learn, and hopefully people will be curteous and supply us with answers to those questions when we need answers and also understand no one understands everything nor has time to research before asking; hence, the questions :)
So please don't feel embarrassed ilittle buddy! :)

Jeff aka "Zapper" :twisted:

pe

idea

Post by pe » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:32 pm

maybe we need a committee here to prevent these 'lousy questions' here, so as they do not take up the precious time of our beloved mister muabdib.

peter

cornstalk

Re: idea

Post by cornstalk » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:33 pm

pe wrote:maybe we need a committee here to prevent these 'lousy questions' here, so as they do not take up the precious time of our beloved mister muabdib.

peter
Take it easy. When Masters speak, novices do well to listen, even if what is said contains some irritation.

muabdib

Irritation

Post by muabdib » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:01 am

May be, my answer may have caused some irritation. As a matter of fact I know Albert since several years on this site - as far as you can know somebody by his messages and postings. Albert is a very intelligent guy and will certainly become a great musician some day. I'm sure he knew perfectly well where to get the answer from. But he was just too lazy and was only kidding concerning the number of squares.

Come on Albert, give us one your old funny riddles. I liked them all.

Best regards
Hans

katchum

Post by katchum » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:09 am

That's the first time I notice your name actually.

And the music, this year I stopped taking lessons, my skills will always be at this level but I enjoy the freedom. I dislike the idea of pressure on something you like to do.

pe

Re: idea

Post by pe » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:27 pm

[quote="cornstalk
Take it easy. When Masters speak, novices do well to listen, even if what is said contains some irritation.[/quote]

sorry, mate : you may be a far better chess player, and so may be hans, but there IS more in life than chess. and I don't see on what grounds you or hans should be "masters" and i should be a "novice" on this forum. i listen to everybody who has something meaningfull to say, and that has nothing to do with capabilities on the chessboard.

i suppose i take your remark more serious than you intended ; i just won't accept to be spoken to in this manner. i will leave it at this ; let's just enjoy this site.

regards,
Peter

ewatsonj

Edwin: Three move repetition?

Post by ewatsonj » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:03 pm

Well your exactly right, only to gain a draw the threat of losing is suppressed with a hope of encountering a draw and the procedure is you must be able to repeat the same move in the same direction three consecutive times causing the opponent to concede with the same moves.
Glad I was able to answer a question and hope your question was answered.
Time and date from the city of Chicago IL. 04/13/2005 at 20:01.
USA Ugly American's or USA Emergency Small Movers?
Right hand!!!

acindaz

Post by acindaz » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:50 pm

In one my friendly OTB game was a situation:
The position repeated three times, but two white rooks changed their places (one which was on a6 then was on d6, but one that was on d6 then was on a6). If, in a tournament, such a situation appears, is it a draw or no?
P.S. Sorry for bad English.:) :oops:

energy

Interesting question...

Post by energy » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:38 pm

acindaz wrote:In one my friendly OTB game was a situation:
The position repeated three times, but two white rooks changed their places (one which was on a6 then was on d6, but one that was on d6 then was on a6). If, in a tournament, such a situation appears, is it a draw or no?
P.S. Sorry for bad English.:) :oops:
Read my post above, with the actual rules. Then think about this part:
Positions as in (a) and (b) are considered the same, if the same player has the move, pieces of the same kind and colour occupy the same squares
Get it? :wink:

Nils

islanderfan

wow

Post by islanderfan » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:11 pm

damn everyone jumps his xxxx when he asks a question. Damn Katchum, you upset the nerds in the nerd cave :lol: :lol: :lol: