Game 110425854

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
echamberlain

Game 110425854

Post by echamberlain » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:40 pm

In the above referenced game, my last move, Qxp+, was the result of improper manipulation of the site. I did make the above move and its logical response, KxQ. Then I rejected it. When I finally decided on a move, it was Q-h3+, which forces K-g8 and allows Q-h8 ++. My last four actions were to restore (I thought) the correct position, click my Queen, click h3, and click confirm. To me the present situation clearly calls for me to be allowed to take back a move. I just hope the server recorded my actions so you can see that I am telling the truth. In any event, I'd like a detailed explanation of how I am supposed to be able to move the pieces around before making my final move.

ghorn

Post by ghorn » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:53 pm

The easy way to work with the board for a game is work a line then refresh the screen, work another lune. Refresh. Do this till you are ready to move then refresh the screen make move of your choice and click on the move button. From reading your post sounds like you never refreshed so the first move you made was still there. A warning comes up if you try to move and the board has been changed. If you get that just refresh and make the move you want otherwise it will make the first move stored. At least that is what I think happens.

echamberlain

it happened again

Post by echamberlain » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:47 pm

In game 1104619620 I did more or less the same thing. I experimented with the move pxp, saw that it lost to NxR, and in my mind if not in the computer circuits, reset the board. I clicked my rook on my second rank and then his rook and then hit confirm. The server registered my original move. The only difference is that in this game my opponent has moved. I hope that the server will backup my word, and if it does, I think I should be allowed to make the moves I intended to make.

In another thread, I proposed an analysis board for the site. Greg asked how that would differ from what we have now. Here is what I'm used to. On the playing board, I am used to the ability to make my moves and the inability to do anything else. I am used to an analysis board that I reach by clicking the relevant button. It looks different from the playing board so there is no confusion about which I am looking at. I can run through variiations but I cannot make a move on my playing board until I click a button and go back to that board. Therefore there is no way for me to leave in the memory of the server a move I analyzed and rejected. What I am used to is idiot proof. It's not idiot proof if you follow the directions.

energy

Correct game number is...

Post by energy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:49 pm

g1104258584

I suppose your opponent, threefingers, could do the honorable thing, and resign.

Nils

echamberlain

Two problems

Post by echamberlain » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:51 am

I don't think threefingers should feel under any obligation to resign. Also, the other game where I had the same problem certainly does not call for a resignation by my opponent, who is very much in the game even if I play the best move.

dragondude

Re: Game 110425854

Post by dragondude » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:34 pm

echamberlain wrote: In any event, I'd like a detailed explanation of how I am supposed to be able to move the pieces around before making my final move.
I made that mistake a few times too , what i do now is not hit the move button till I look over the position a last time, and check the algebraic notation to make sure it matches what I want, if it does not THEN I HIT THE FAST BACK ARROW KEY TO RESET THE JAVA BOARD to original position , THEN I HIT THE FAST FORWARD TO RESTORE THE BOARD TO PROPER POSITION, THEN I MAKE MY MOVE...

or sometimes i just put the arrow on the algebraic notation box and erase it and enter the move I want... but most often I am to lazy to type, I prefer using the mouse to make my moves.

using the jave board is real nice, you can make all kinds of moves... just remember to reset the position before moving.

I hope that helps , just experimant with the java board and the arrow keys to play back or play forward your moves.

echamberlain

Thank you, but

Post by echamberlain » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:17 am

Dragondude, thank you very much for the explanation. It was clear and concise. I have resigned one of the games in question and found a possible way of recovering in the other. However, I don't care for the interface here, and I'm going to wrap up my current games and go back to Chessworld. That site is a paid site (if you want all the features) and it is too restrictive for my tastes on the positions from which games may start. Even with the positions they will let you use, finding the one you want is clunky. However, I like the interface there, and I'm too lazy to learn the one here. The one here is not objectively worse, and if I had discovered this site first I would probably not like the one at Chessworld. Oh well, everyone's been very nice and I want to thank you. I am, however, going to stop watching this topic, so I most likely won't see posts after this one.