castles

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
beezaman

castles

Post by beezaman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:57 am

my dad (samiam) tried to castle 0-0 but didnt really no how on this site and moved his rook...is there a way to fix the game...it is game g1104616730...hopefully this can be fixed..thanx for whoevers help...Steve

greenmonarch

Post by greenmonarch » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:49 pm

If I am not mistaken, don't you have to move your king first then your rook in an OTB game when castling?

PS: Beez, I'll take that all pawns game now if you still have the move list to set it up...

-Monarch

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:54 pm

Only Greg can fix this since the server is programmed to not allow
castling once the rook has been moved.
Presumably,he'll restore the game to the position immediately
prior to your father's mis-move.
Regards,David

beezaman

Post by beezaman » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:13 am

monarch...dont be a jerk people new to a site dont always onderstand the quirks...but thanx david for telling me who to contact

greenmonarch

Post by greenmonarch » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:24 am

In all honesty I wasn't trying to be offensive. It was just an innocent question, and I'm sorry if i offended you beez.

-Monarch

cornstalk

Post by cornstalk » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:06 pm

greenmonarch wrote:If I am not mistaken, don't you have to move your king first then your rook in an OTB game when castling?

PS: Beez, I'll take that all pawns game now if you still have the move list to set it up...

-Monarch
I'm not sure what the rule is now, but there was a time when moving the rook first was O.K., so long as the king move followed promptly.

Nowadays, tournament players always move the rook first.

itsmenow

Post by itsmenow » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:56 am

No, no no

the last statment is not vaild. The rules are quite simple.

The piece that is touched first as to be moved. Specially the case of castling in tournaments, where its enforced that the king has to move first prior to moving the rook.

Also this is enforced in any chess playing online.

The only exeption where a touched piece is overruled is when king is in check and the player moves another piece that does't involve blocking or getting rid of the check.

Besides its learning at is best (Capablanca said that he learned more from its defeats than from its victories).

And it showed; after losing the WCh against Alekine he was never defeated again in tournamnets until death defeated him...

dorisia

Post by dorisia » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:04 pm

itsmenow wrote: Besides its learning at is best (Capablanca said that he learned more from its defeats than from its victories).

And it showed; after losing the WCh against Alekine he was never defeated again in tournamnets until death defeated him...
I disagree. Capablanca lost quite a few tournament games after he lost his title, beginning at Bad Kissingen 1928, where he lost to Spielmann, and culminating at the AVRO tournament 1938, where he lost to Keres, Botwinnik, Euwe and Aljechin, and took next-to-last place!

itsmenow

Ok if that is the case then ok you are right

Post by itsmenow » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:22 pm

Yes Ok maybe He lost some games but He never had the chance to
compete for the title ever again. So... this was alekine's fault as He died alone and forgotten...(He was very antisocial and weird opposed to capablanca)

So He took it to the grave...

there is an even more intriguing story of the best mexican player ever
is name was Carlos Torre Reppeto.

He was beating people like marshall and the like, then all of the sudden he lost all his might and guts for playing chess and retired around His 20-30 I'm not sure.

cohonas

Re: Ok if that is the case then ok you are right

Post by cohonas » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:46 am

there is an even more intriguing story of the best mexican player ever
is name was Carlos Torre Reppeto.
His name was: Carlos Torre Repetto

angelofthenight

from chessgames

Post by angelofthenight » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:00 am

CARLOS TORRE-REPETTO
(born Nov-23-1905, died Mar-19-1978) Mexico
Carlos Torre Repetto was born in 1905 in Merida, Yucatan. He learned to play chess at the age of six, and in 1920 he went to the United States to attempt to prove himself against America's best players. He made his international debut at the Moscow 1925 tournament and placed fifth, winning his individual game against Emanuel Lasker. His chess career ended prematurely when he was stricken by mental illness a few years later, but in 1977 FIDE awarded him the International Grandmaster title based on his results in the mid-1920's. Torre was the first Mexican to ever achieve this title.