Time Out Poll

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.

Is there a problem with players timing out on the site?

There's not a major problem with players timing out on the site.
32%
There is a time out problem here and the biggest one is with players who time out when they should resign. I would like to see something done to penalize these players.
25%
There is a time out problem here and the biggest one is players who time out for no apparent reason. I would like to see something done to penalize these players.
4%
There is a time out problem here but I don't think the site can or should adopt rules changes to try to change players' behavior.
39%

Total votes: 28

echamberlain

Time Out Poll

Post by echamberlain » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:26 pm

Several players have complained about what they perceive as inappropriate time outs, so I'd like to see what the general attitudes of the community are on time outs.

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:06 pm

The timeout problem here is no worse than other sites.
Wulebgr

“From a fish’s point of view, a wulebgr is a leech.”

echamberlain

Time Out Problem

Post by echamberlain » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:45 pm

I fully agree that the time out problem here is no worse than on other sites. This is the only site I know of where anything is done about the problem. Greg will take away some of the time of someone who seems to not be moving or resigning in a clearly lost game. More players should complain so that Greg can do this more often. Another possible step would be to rate us all according to the percent of our games we time out. Players with too high a percent could have their game invitations flagged and could be subject to exclusion from the game invitations posted by others. I do believe that this could be an automated process once Greg found the time to write the code.

lwarren

Penalizing Timed Out Players

Post by lwarren » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:34 pm

I am confused about just how players are penalized for timing out. It seems some of the 3000 ranked players have losing records, but all losses are time outs. How then do they keep a perfect rating? Does their rating not drop even though they had a time out?

If not, I would suggest that it does.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:48 pm

A time out always counts as a loss. I'm not sure who you're talking about, but it's possible the rating floor played a role in maintaining a high rating. The maximum floor is now at 2100, but it wasn't always that way.

pblanctranchant

Timed out games

Post by pblanctranchant » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:46 am

Another question on that topic : when a player times out, what is the rule for his opponent to be granted a won and see his rating modified? Is it a matter of moves played before the time out? (To be more specific : it seems to me that when I time out, my rating automaticaly drops while it doesn't necessarily raise when my opponents time out).

pblanctranchant

Post by pblanctranchant » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:04 am

Found out my answer checking the other topics... don't bother then...

geebs
Uranium

Please Answer

Post by geebs » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:06 pm

This is something I am still wondering about :roll: so could someone please answer pblanctranchant's question?

Thanks

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:19 pm

If you time out before 10 moves are made your opponent won't be scored a win.

jkavanagh

Post by jkavanagh » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:10 pm

I'm in my first tournament, and really enjoying myself. I've never played online except informmally with people I know, and I'm impressed by the way it works. I wondered about people abandoning lost games instead of resigning, and I'm searching all the threads about it. I resigned like a gentleman in games where I was clearly beaten and outclassed, sometimes hanging on a few moves for the education but not wnating to insult anyone's intelligence or waste their time - that seems the expected etiquette, and it makes sense to me.

It is frustrating that in a couple of games that I seem to be getting on top of my opponents have apparently wandered off. It seems a little childish... fight on or resign, I say. My rating here is only important to me because it means I'll get to play better players, stretch my muscles and get stomped. But still, it's nice to get a clear win.

It should be possible to evaluate a game abandoned before 10 moves and award the player who's been abandoned a win if it is a clear win... using a computer program would give consistent results and minimise bickering. Has this been considered? Is it a good idea?

losertoo

Timeouts

Post by losertoo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:00 pm

I think the default time of 3 days is too short. It is easy for someone to miss 3 days. If the default was a week I think it would solve a lot of the timeout problems.

Also net-chess is not available frequently.

gregorgysi

Post by gregorgysi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:06 pm

So where's the problem:
If someone doesn't move you'll get a win. If something like this happens in OTB chess. What do you do? Wait for his clock run down to zero. You win, that's it. Play another game and have fun. Why bother about others.

By the way: the major time out problem is with new users. But this does demand action in any way. It is good as it is.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:27 pm

If someone leaves during an OTB game it's considered unsportsman like conduct and they loose the game. Players are required to notify the TD if they will be absent from the game room for more than 15 minutes. Those are the USCF rules, I'm sure FIDE has something similar.