Suspending games for a week????

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
ashipham

Suspending games for a week????

Post by ashipham » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:39 am

Hi i have to go on a work residential next week, can i suspend all my games over the week ? if i cant most of them will time out
if you can please explain how so i can do it thanks

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:44 am

from the faq

If I'm going to be out of town, can a game be paused so I don't run out of time?
No. Consider this as an equivelant of running out for a snack during a face to face timed match.[/b]
Doh not using Mouse gestures ?

echamberlain

Out of Town

Post by echamberlain » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:55 pm

The policy is certainly clear, but it is one of the few things I dislike about the site. One can avoid your predicament by using generous time limits. I personally don't play here faster than 20 + 2. (On sites where I can take vacation days, I will commit to moving as quickly as every five days.) The reason I dislike the time limit situation here is that some of my opponents are able to move at frustratingly slow paces. Some of those seem to me to make a lot of moves most days. Oh well. If setting up your own site is out of the question, what you have to do is shop around and find the site or combination of sites you like best. There are at least four or five sites dedicated to correspondence chess, several others dedicated to chess games finished in one sitting, at least one site where people play chess both ways, and any number of sites that offer chess as well as other games.

cornstalk

Re: Out of Town

Post by cornstalk » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:01 pm

echamberlain wrote:The policy is certainly clear, but it is one of the few things I dislike about the site.
Yes, you should be able to take off a fixed number of days per year here, just as you are in serious correspondence play. I take long (2 weeks or more) vacations, and that makes it very difficult to engage in play here in the weeks leading up to my vacation.

Time limits and time off provisions more like regular cc, plus a regular tournament schedule, would make this place a world-class cc site. As it is, it's an amusing place to play offhand cc games, but that's all.

geebs
Uranium

Time Trouble

Post by geebs » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:49 am

Reply to ashipham:

If you are concerned about games you have already started when away from home perhaps you can visit the local library who invariably has public internet available (usually cheap). That is what I personally do when I am travelling.

For future games, keep in mind the time alotment system is open-ended, so you can factor extra time into your time limits and accumulation amounts when creating a match. For example, 60 days + 2 days per move or even more if you wish. So you can then have lots of time to spare if you wish to use it to take "time off" without timing out. Also keep this in mind when joining other matches (ie: don't join matches with small time limits).

Just keep the number of your games low enough so that you can accumulate the time and not end up using it all up trying to play too many positions at once!

Best,
Graham