Speeding up Firefox web page loads.

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
gmiller
Site Admin

Speeding up Firefox web page loads.

Post by gmiller » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:57 pm

If you're using Firefox on a high bandwidth connection (e.g. anything but dialup), here's a page which shows some tweeks to speed up the loading a pages. It speeds up the loading of pages which have multiple images or includes.
Speed up Firefox

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:40 pm

from
http://www.projectw.org/viewtopic.php?t=34800

WARNING: These settings make you download sites considerably faster, BUT put a great overload on the sites you go to. This really means nothing other then the fact that anyone else browsing will just go slower and you will absorb their speed.

hmm..

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:22 pm

Not really. Every time your browser makes a request there is a delay between when the request is sent and when the server begins responding to it. Normally browser make all of the request in series so that the delay adds up. When all of the requests are submitted in parallel, you only get the delay once.

While it's true you're requesting more data all at the same time, this isn't likley to slow down requests for other users. The bottleneck for bandwidth usage is normally at the end user's ISP, not at the server's end. If you're hitting a server which is already serving out it's maximum capacity, then yes it will slow other users down, but this normally isn't the case.

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:46 pm

so u recommened using it?

another question , according to u is it possible that i can load a new chessboard that too in enchanced mode with only 2 or 3 kb of data?

i lso happened to recieve the following error as i tried to make changes to my profile.
Doh not using Mouse gestures ?

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:12 am

This might give a bit of insight into whats happening(if anyones interested):

http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.p ... adid=77613

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:52 pm

Y these tweaks are not recommended and why they weren't enabled by default.

http://ogrady.blogspot.com/2005/01/spee ... ofill.html

It has been well documented that while enabling this will decrease the time pages start to load, it lengthens the total time for the page to render. It also uses more CPU cycles and RAM when enabled. These reasons are why pipelining is not enabled by default. It also causes problems with some Flash content.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:18 pm

I don't have any problems with it, and don't know anyone who has. Of the 10 or so people I work with who've done it, all of them report a noticable increase in load times.

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:38 am

certainly, but the Question still remain as to y these r not enabled by default.