Chess variant

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
ghorn

Chess variant

Post by ghorn » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:57 pm

Saw a chess variant at a tournament while stationed in Athens Greece that used a special deck of cards. The cards were either used to determine piece to move, move order or both. I have looked and can find no information on this form of chess. Things I know about it. 1 It was written in the english language. 2 It was brought by an airmen playing in USAFE Chess Championship. I can't remember where the tournament was, but it was between 1985 and 1990. Has any one seen it? :?:

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:47 pm

Sounds more like one of the made up games from the soap "mash".
At least that is where I remember seeing it.
to mail do not "mail" too Image

knightmare
Uranium

Post by knightmare » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 pm

A Google search of "chess variant with cards" revealed 37,000+ pages. maybe one them is what your looking for? The first one was about something called (off all things) Knightmare chess! Really! I had nothing to do with it!! lol:)

ghorn

Post by ghorn » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:55 pm

Guess that is what happens when you search correctly :oops: . I should have used quotes and worded my search better. It was Chance Chess. Yes there was money on the games. I spent my money better against a guy playing 1 min. to my 5 min.. Got killed by the way. Steve Jackson's version sounds good (Knightmare Chess). If I remember right he doesn't play Carwars well. Conflict simulation games are the reason I quit playing chess for almost 15 years. As it got harder to find players went back to chess and cards.