I E Problems

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
echamberlain

I E Problems

Post by echamberlain » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:54 am

There seem to be a lot of people here who know a lot more about computers than I do, so I think I will ask. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

When I am loading Internet Exploerer, I get error messages from Windows. I used to get them when changing web pages, but now I get them only when I first call up IE. (I have already switched to Firefox, but I'd still like to cure this problem.) The messages tell me that Spybot S & D reports that I am trying to download ____ and it is a known threat, so don't I want to block the download. (Of course I do.) _______ can be "Avenue A Inc" or "Doubleclick" or occasionally something else.

AVG Antivirus does not detect any problems. Whatever the problem is got through Norton Firewall, but now I use Kerio Personal Firewall. Lavasoft Ad Aware cannot solve the problem, nor can Spybot or Spyware Nuker, nor Webroot's Spy Sweep. I have added all these programs after the problem started, so I doubt any one of them is the whole problem.

Thank you again for any advice you can offer.

pawnder

IE problems

Post by pawnder » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:42 am

Well, IE works OK for what I do, are you sure yours is updated?. Also, when I look at others computers often they have numerous progs. running, and they do a whole days work before the darn thing even starts,
(messenger services like yahoo and msn, often running at the same time)
It could still be anything, what version of windows are you running?
How are you connected, by modem or dsl,cable?( Ican get it online many times without the software thus saving rescources)
Anyway, when in doubt try your old computer like a 133 they are trustworthy for the 'net that'll eliminate the theory of your pc having issues..
PS Ive been into these what, 5 years now, I could just about be a tech. I dont think your problems too deep, If you can do Chess, you can surely configure a windows computer,, good luck anyway!

echamberlain

Answers

Post by echamberlain » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:57 am

Thank you for the vote of confidence.

I use Windows XP (home). I keep Windows updated automatically, although I did decide to get SP 2 on a cd. I didn't notice the problems until after I had SP 2, but that was also after I got Spybot S & D so the problem could be older than my awareness of the problem.

pawnder

IE problems

Post by pawnder » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:42 am

If the problem stems from the update, you could go to add/remove although its XP, Ive heard some bad things also about the update. Avoid the XP update Also Win98 runs IE very well, Im keeping it until 006 when support is slated to end..

mluka

Post by mluka » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:07 am

I use Spybot S&D also. I believe that Avenue A, Inc. and Doubleclick are recognized as threats only insofar as they place tracking cookies on your computer - that is, they monitor your browsing habits and try to tailor their ads based on those tendencies...so they are not overt threats like viruses or trojans, but technically still Spyware/Adware. If you are getting those messages but that's the only indication you have that there is something wrong with your computer, there is probably nothing at all wrong.
My guess is that you get those upon loading IE because you have your homepage set to msn.com, hotmail, or another MSN site...I get several such warnings whenever I check my hotmail account.
Hope this helps.

echamberlain

Interesting

Post by echamberlain » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:54 am

That's interesting. I have my home page currently set to ATT but when the problem started, I had the home page set to Earthlink. I also have an MSN account, but I access it with a special IE by MSN browser and I do NOT have the problems I mentioned when I use that browser. I also don't get the messages when I use Firefox, even if I access ATT.